• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone have pics of the Larson More Fun 54 9.2 and 9.0?

58 posts in this topic

Hello,

For anyone who wants to know, I owned both books for 3 years each and had both books in my collection for 1 year at the same time. I bought the Larson from Joe V. and the Nova Scotia from Steve Borock. I then traded the Larson to Dan Kramer, who then also aquired the Mile high, compared the two, and got rid of the Larson. The Mile High did have a very tiny dot of color touch which was later removed, but the ink reflectivelity and freshness as a stated was on another level above the Larson which was on another level over the Nova Scotia. I have color scans of both books before they were graded (Larson/Nova Scotia). The Larson, without question was a much cleaner, sharper book than the Nova Scotia, which was not as bright, and had a 2" vertical non-breaking crease at the top right part of the book (might have been pressed out?), but nevertheless was not close to having the ink refelctivity and freshness that the Larson had. When I compared both to the Mile High copy, the Mile High was nicer yet, whether the grading indicated it or not, it was brighter and fresher looking. The last comment made by someone was regarding "spots" which is commonly referred to as "foxing" and was present in some Larsons, but not all. The More Fun #54, had NONE!

Dwight Fuhro

(306) 545-5460

dwightfu@yahoo.com

Absolutely, NO offense taken. I do not own the More Fun #54 Larson anymore. Your right in saying that some people like do not like Larson written on the cover, some don't like the D-Code on Mile High/Church copies, or the G-code and Riley Stamp on San Francisco copies. It is just a matter of personal taste, and absolutely to each his own, that's the enjoyable thing about collecting, you buy what you like. I was just refering before to the foxing that is associated with Larsons, in that the MF#54 does not have any. The More Fun #54 was always one of my favorite copies in not only the More Fun run, but in any run (along with the Detective 31 & 35). I also really like the cover to the More Fun #65, which incidentally was a cover swipe from a 1935 Shadow Pulp. I enjoy collecting pedegree golden age Flashes(Moldoff covers only) , but have sold a number of them over the past 3 years. I am now focusing in buying high grade SHADOW PULPS. If you know of anyone who has any for sale at the right price or for trade, please let me know. Thanks alot, and you have great taste for classic covers.

Dwight

I saw the Larson Adventure #45 recently... Strange book. Not only did someone attempt to erase the "Larson" from the front cover, but according to CGC, it now has a "married" 12th leaf (CF?). Curious about the condition and ownership history of this book. Were there Larsons missing CFs? I know that the book sold on Heritage back in 2002.

Linky

All this said, it's a pretty, pretty copy. The Heritage scan doesn't really do it justice perhaps because it was scanned through the slab. It's far brighter and tighter than you'd think. When I was looking at it, I didn't notice the married leaf, so it must have been done pretty nicely. Got home and did a little research on the copy and discover this problem. Looking at the scan again, I actually kind of wonder if perhaps some resto (clean and press) has been done to the copy since 2002... confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree about the color quality but I hate seeing Larson written across one of my all-time favorite covers. That is why i have never purchased a Larson.

I love seeing Larson scrawled across my Thrilling #11, especially after having met the man last Summer...

thrilling11.jpg

I have a couple of Larson More Funs and they are really nice despite not being near mint copies. Its incredible that the page quality of the books are so nice given that the collection was stored in a barn for so many years in humid Nebraskan weather!

Those are the same copy of that book. The 9.0 was resubmitted and got a 9.2 the second time around. I don't think the Larson writing changed. It's just a darker scan on the 9.0.

Its not as bad on the 9.2 as the 9.0.

816007133o.jpg

804044308o.jpg

Those are the same copy of that book. The 9.0 was resubmitted and got a 9.2 the second time around. I don't think the Larson writing changed. It's just a darker scan on the 9.0.

And unless this copy was pressed, and I have no idea one way or the other, it is examples like this that I believe, IMHO, degrade CGC's reputation and professionalism. It is not as if someone could sneak this book by CGC with the hope of a better grade. They knew it was the Larson both times. There is only one copy. So why the higher grade the second time around? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My thought is that earlier submittals of Keys to CGC were off graded somewhat. Once they got familiar with what was available for each key, then they started upping the grades accordingly. This has happened a lot with Church books. Also if those books are the same, the 9.0 says off-white to white pages and the 9.2 says white pages. That would give it a bump right there.