• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone have pics of the Larson More Fun 54 9.2 and 9.0?

58 posts in this topic

On a book like this though, does the .2 make any difference in the price? Either way, it's a 9.x Larson copy of a classic book.

I can answer your question two ways:

First, yes, because if it`s a 9.2 then it`s tied with the Church copy for status as highest graded copy known, and if it`s a 9.0 then it`s only the second highest graded copy known. Although it`s not cool to admit it, this does make a difference for some collectors.

Second, yes, because even with scarcity or status, the grade of a book is still relevant for a financially prudent buyer, because the emergence of additional equal or higher grade copies (which is always a risk, no matter how scarce the book has historically been considered to be) will have a disproportionately negative impact on the price. While I`m certainly a collector who has been known to throw the Guide out the window on occasion, I believe that some sort of metrics need to be used by a prudent buyer in pricing a book and grade is a significant factor in those metrics.

its still the Larson, and a beautiful book, so there no difference if uts a 9.0 one day and a 9.2 the next. To a collector. But the big difference is the price it will sell for. Do you pay the 9.0 price or the 9.2 price? Obviously, Id sure prefer the 9.0 price if there "no difference" between the two slabs around the same book. Wouldnt everyone?

Frankly, most Chuch copies outshine any other copy, even most other pedigrees, no matter whether a 9.0, 9.2, 9.4, whatever. I have 9.0 Church copies that are far better than those copies graded higher. Of course, there will be specific exceptions.

Also, except basically for 9.8 copies which I do give a premium, when I generally pursue Church copies I decide on a multiple price based on the 9.2 value. I don't give any additional consideration to whether the book is a 9.2, 9.4 or 9.6. On average, that formula has worked fine and I have secured many copies this way.

its still the Larson, and a beautiful book, so there no difference if uts a 9.0 one day and a 9.2 the next. To a collector. But the big difference is the price it will sell for. Do you pay the 9.0 price or the 9.2 price? Obviously, Id sure prefer the 9.0 price if there "no difference" between the two slabs around the same book. Wouldnt everyone?

There's the problem though. That's the "9.0 price" and "9.2 price" on a book like this? Don't say "Check Overstreet" either or I'll brain you. 893naughty-thumb.gif

As Mark said, the Church copy is almost always the nicest looking copy even if another copy has a higher structural grade. Do you really think the 9.2 Larson copy is as valuable as the 9.2 Church copy? I don't. I admit that I'm not a real golden age collector, but if I had to choose between 9.2 Church and 9.2 Larson on this book, I'm taking the 9.2 Church sight unseen and would pay more money for it too.

As Mark said, the Church copy is almost always the nicest looking copy even if another copy has a higher structural grade.

Cool, you and Mark take the Church Detective #27, and I`ll take the Allentown copy. cool.gif

As collectors of Golden Age pedigrees know, a 9.0 Church copy will usually sell for more than a 9.2 Larson. Generally, depending on what issue and what grade, a Church book will go for anywhere from 3x to 5x guide. A Larson book will go for 1.5x to 2.5x guide. Admittedly, this is a sweeping generalization to which there have been exceptions.

I would take a 9.2 larson over a 9.0 church copy if the 9.2 larson was the highest grade copy.If the Larson was the overall highest grade copy in exsistance and 0.2 over the church,than under that circumstance the larson is worth more.

In terms of quality, the pecking order of the top 3 Golden Age pedigrees is:

1. Church (Mile High).

2. Reilly (San Francisco).

3. Allentown.

After those three, there is a meaningful gap to get to the second tier, which would include Larson, Cosmic Aeroplane, Pennsylvania, and others.

Anyone have a different view on pedigree ranking?

In terms of quality, the pecking order of the top 3 Golden Age pedigrees is:

1. Church (Mile High).

2. Reilly (San Francisco).

3. Allentown.

After those three, there is a meaningful gap to get to the second tier, which would include Larson, Cosmic Aeroplane, Pennsylvania, and others.

Anyone have a different view on pedigree ranking?

Hard to dispute the top 3, although I guess there are iconoclasts out there who will argue that on a book-for-book basis, the Reilly books on average are better than Churches. Having never held a Reilly in my hands, I couldn't say whether it's true or just people being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.

Hard to dispute the top 3, although I guess there are iconoclasts out there who will argue that on a book-for-book basis, the Reilly books on average are better than Churches. Having never held a Reilly in my hands, I couldn't say whether it's true or just people being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.

Same feeling here.............

As Mark said, the Church copy is almost always the nicest looking copy even if another copy has a higher structural grade.

Cool, you and Mark take the Church Detective #27, and I`ll take the Allentown copy. cool.gif

we all know the Allentown is better... but in this discussion, the Tec 27 is an unfaitr comparison because it was a 'second-hand' Church book. In general Ill agree that a Church copy is preferable to a equally graded Larsen.. but, CGC has leveled the playing field. Their grades are now powerful determining factor in pricing, whereas before CGC, the Pedigree's reputation dictated pricing. And many 8.5s managed to sell for the same 3 to 5X Guide that the 9.4s and 9.6s did. The buyers of the higher graded copies were the lucky ones!

I'd love to compare and contrast Nedor Mile Highs and Reillys...

IF ANYONE KNEW FOR SURE IF THE NEDOR REILLYS EXIST! frustrated.giffrustrated.gif

Sorry. Got a little carried away there... sorry.gif

Wouldn't it be safe to assume there are no Reilly Nedors? After all, he was a teen-ager, so probably with limited funds compared to the adult Edgar Church who could afford to buy everything, and his parents probably continued to buy titles consistent with his previous buying patterns rather than branching out to try new titles and publishers.

CGC has leveled the playing field. Their grades are now powerful determining factor in pricing, whereas before CGC, the Pedigree's reputation dictated pricing. And many 8.5s managed to sell for the same 3 to 5X Guide that the 9.4s and 9.6s did. The buyers of the higher graded copies were the lucky ones!

Great point. This earlier habit of sellers, to simply identify the pedigree and not grade of a book, used to drive me up the wall. So in fact, the situation that FFB referred to, where grade was irrelevant in pricing so long as it was a [fill in the blank pedigree], was actually the historical practice and, in my opinion, was a less than ideal practice. Ask anyone who paid NM+ prices for a VF+ Church in the old days, particularly if that Church copy has since been eclipsed by another book.

I'd love to compare and contrast Nedor Mile Highs and Reillys...

IF ANYONE KNEW FOR SURE IF THE NEDOR REILLYS EXIST! frustrated.giffrustrated.gif

Sorry. Got a little carried away there... sorry.gif

Wouldn't it be safe to assume there are no Reilly Nedors? After all, he was a teen-ager, so probably with limited funds compared to the adult Edgar Church who could afford to buy everything, and his parents probably continued to buy titles consistent with his previous buying patterns rather than branching out to try new titles and publishers.

Tim, I think it's highly likely that there are no Reilly Nedors. The problem is that Bob B. is adament that there were full runs. The fact that I've never seen a single one come to market leads me to believe that either 1)they don't exist, or 2)one person has them all(like John V. and the Church Timelys).

And, to be honest, they've taken on sort of a mythical quality. I like to think they're out there somewhere, even though I'm fairly certain they're not.