• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did You Meet Your Comic Book Heroes?
1 1

80 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2023 at 10:28 AM, KingOfRulers said:

How many of you have met your heroes from the world of comics? For those of you that have, please share your experiences!

From 2010-2021, I  owned and operated comic conventions, and as a result was able to meet a lot of wonderful creators. For years, we were bringing in approximately 20 creators per convention. We had some incredible talent come through our doors.

I've always called George Perez my favorite comic book artist of all-time. There's that saying, "Don't meet your heroes". There's countless stories of everyone's wonderful experiences meeting George Perez. I'd like to say I had such a wonderful experience with George, but unfortunately mine wasn't as magical as most. George wasn't mean or rude, but he wasn't particularly friendly or open either. I'd want to chat with him, but he'd give me the cold shoulder. My only reasoning that I can come up with as to why, is that he was stressed or overwhelmed by his lines at our conventions.

I never got to meet any of my other heroes from the Golden Age and Silver Age, such as Jack Kirby or Stan Lee.

I did get to meet Dave Cockrum at Heroes Con in 2006, which was one of my favorite experiences at a convention. Dave is definitely one of my comic book heroes. This was my first out-of-state convention, and only four months before Dave passed away. Dave was such a nice guy to me. He signed my X-Men #105 and #107. I also had an X-Men #99 price variant that Dave signed and it was CGC signature series'd. I wish I got a picture with Dave.

You're my comic book hero. :headbang:

I've met a few

Jim Starlin - Very nice.  Was only able to talk to him for a short while as there was a long line behind

Jim Steranko - Great guy to talk with.

Neal Adams - Some say he is not very nice, but, the few times I met him, he was always nice and very chattable

Bob Layton - Talked with him for about 30 minutes.  Had some great stories about how his mother never understood what he did until the first Iron Man movie came out.  My nephew didn't think his art was that great, so, I told Bob he said that.  Bob handed him his portfolio and my nephew said h was great, to which Bob replied "Thanks, my mom thinks so too".  My nephew came away a fan of his art. 

Kevin Eastman - very nice guy to talk with, even for only a few minutes. 

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few here.

Edited by aszumilo

On 5/2/2023 at 3:52 PM, KingOfRulers said:

Some of the nicest creators I've met were those pictured below: Pablo Marcos, Allen Bellman, and Ron Wilson. I wouldn't call any of them among my "hero creators", but I will say that Marvel 2-In-1 Annual #7 pencilled by Ron Wilson is among my favorite comic books.

Other creators that I always had great interactions with that come to mind are: Neal Adams, Bob Camp, Dave DeVries, Mike Perkins, Arvell Jones, Joe Giella, Carl Potts, Khoi Pham, Sean Chen, and Mike Mayhew.

IMG_20190802_134835821.thumb.jpg.f3ed2980b4f73ee1dcd732c5a89f8d92.jpg

20160904_153531-1.thumb.jpg.bd70d068bc0121efd261fbfc769ac5c8.jpg

20190802_172250(1).thumb.jpg.2eb7e6961f121bb8876a0b933afc9953.jpg

I spent allot of time with Allen Bellman at a Boston comiccon probably 8 - 10 years ago. 

He was an incredible person! Filled with energy and very sharp. He told me a number of great stories about the old days and his experiences with some of the legends of Timely. 

I was never one to go out of my way to meet creaters.  

We hit a bad spell of losing legends from our hobbies. Perez, Adams, Sinnott (to name a few)...and I thought to myself, if I ever wanted to meet these guys, if only to tell them how much I appreciated their work, I should act.  

I met Sterenko last year and he was great. I would love to meet Romita Sr, but I think I read, he won't be doing shows any longer.  

On 5/2/2023 at 8:32 PM, Robot Man said:

Never met Buscema

Met Kirby a bunch of times. He was always at SDCC which was in my "back yard"

Maybe the first time was at SDCC at the El Cortez Hotel. Jack would sit by the pool after dinner and "hold court". This particular evening we spotted him and Will Eisner just sitting alone talking and smoking cigars. We quickly ran up to our room and grabbed some books we had bought that day. They were just sitting talking about the old GA days. I had Eisner sign my Spirit #22. Jack signed several books. New Gods, Mr Miracle and Forever People first issues. While doing so, he accidentally knocked off a little cigar ash into one. He was real embarrassed but I didn't care and just blew it away. Kind of wish I had left it...:roflmao:

Pretty soon Roz came down and "rescued" him by telling him it was past his bedtime!

Wonderful story! Thanks so much for sharing. What year do you think that was?

I would love to have met Eisner as well. I'm not into the Spirit, but really love his graphic novels.

Lots of positive comments about Jim Steranko. I agree with this. We featured him at our conventions several times. As the showrunner, he was a pretty "high maintenance" guy in terms of the things he was wanting from us.Nonetheless, he is a very friendly man. Very charismatic, high energy, and full of great experiences that he loves to share. Even being high maintenance, I loved having Steranko at our shows. Steranko's awesome!

On 5/3/2023 at 8:30 AM, F For Fake said:

Hmm...oh, Bendis, pre-Marvel, you could talk to that dude forever. Very nice guy.

Ah, yes, back in the days when Bendis still had hair, the poor guy would sit there all alone at his table with this Goldfish books, just begging someone to come talk to him...  I never actually met him, because I wasn't familiar with his work at all, so I figured I'd have nothing to say.  Totally missed opportunity on my part. :frown:

On 5/3/2023 at 9:26 AM, Gonzimodo said:

Ah, yes, back in the days when Bendis still had hair, the poor guy would sit there all alone at his table with this Goldfish books, just begging someone to come talk to him...  I never actually met him, because I wasn't familiar with his work at all, so I figured I'd have nothing to say.  Totally missed opportunity on my part. :frown:

I was an early fan of AKA Goldfish, Jinx, then Powers, etc. so it was kinda neat and fun to watch his star on the rise, because he seemed like a legit nice guy and I enjoyed his work.

On 5/3/2023 at 9:46 AM, Gonzimodo said:

Here are the Mid-Ohio Con program books I got signed.  These things just blow my mind a little more every time I pull them out.  I don't immediately recognize some of the signatures, but the guides list all the guests, so I can go back and figure out who most of them are.  All of these were free, so it was a great bonus when someone would knock out a quick sketch, too. (thumbsu

I don't know why I did this only these two years. (shrug)

MOC-96.jpg

MOC-96-2.jpg

MOC-96-3.jpg

MOC-96-4.jpg

MOC-97.jpg

MOC-97-1.jpg

MOC-97-2.jpg

Awesome! That really takes me back.