• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Writers Guild of America (WGA) strike news
2 2

557 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2023 at 12:41 PM, drotto said:

Easy to predict that they'd save money in the short-term. Right now, people are generally avoiding theaters. You're getting ticket-sized sales via streaming each month. The average person does not go to 12 movies/year. Easy slide.

On 8/3/2023 at 1:00 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Easy to predict that they'd save money in the short-term. Right now, people are generally avoiding theaters. You're getting ticket-sized sales via streaming each month. The average person does not go to 12 movies/year. Easy slide.

Just drives home that in the short term studios are willing to wait it out for a better deal for them. If they are saving money that can tough it out for 6 months or so and use those saving to start up again.  In the mean time, they will cancel many projects, thus reducing production costs moving forward.  Then when it settles, hope that the pop in stock prices will further offset the costs of production restart and the expected content gap.

On 8/3/2023 at 12:41 PM, drotto said:

And this fine individual met with notable Hollywood leaders like Bob Iger and even creators like Christopher Nolan to get their recommendations in advance how to make WB Studios a more successful operation before the merger? He must have had his line on mute while they talked.

On 8/3/2023 at 2:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

And this fine individual met with notable Hollywood leaders like Bob Iger and even creators like Christopher Nolan to get their recommendations in advance how to make WB Studios a more successful operation before the merger? He must have had his line on mute while they talked.

Well Iger has his own massive issues right now.  Not exactly Hollywood's favorite executive right now.

Zaslov in many ways is doing what WB hired him to do.

On 8/3/2023 at 3:18 PM, drotto said:

Well Iger has his own massive issues right now.  Not exactly Hollywood's favorite executive right now.

Zaslov in many ways is doing what WB hired him to do.

Bull. His missteps and allowing the box office failures to occur under his watch has no excuses. 2023 especially has been a rough WB year other than Barbie.

On 8/2/2023 at 8:31 PM, CAHokie said:

Not only is that wrong but it’s creepy.  

Read the linked npr article and it’s pretty thin gruel for me to share your conclusion, although believing the worst about these corporate studios is easy to do.

I don’t blame all these unions for thinking now is the time to strike regardless of what industry there in. Currently there are lots of union supporters at the highest level of some state’s and the federal government which definitely adds to the pressure on both sides. 

On 9/1/2023 at 7:13 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Lots of delays just announced re. Disney TV shows.

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 7.14.32 PM.png

I thought Ironheart was essentially done, and Echo (which is rumored to be a mess) is betting push again?  When it has been in the can for almost a year? Other than Daredevil, I am not sure any of the stuff not already filmed will ever get done.  I think the MCU is going to announce a change in direction once things are settled.

On 9/1/2023 at 7:21 PM, drotto said:

I thought Ironheart was essentially done, and Echo (which is rumored to be a mess) is betting push again?  When it has been in the can for almost a year? Other than Daredevil, I am not sure any of the stuff not already filmed will ever get done.  I think the MCU is going to announce a change in direction once things are settled.

Supposedly Agatha is totally done and Ironheart has "finished filming" but isn't finished - so needs the strikes to end before it can be scheduled.

On 9/1/2023 at 9:27 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Supposedly Agatha is totally done and Ironheart has "finished filming" but isn't finished - so needs the strikes to end before it can be scheduled.

They are apparently retooling and reshooting parts of Ironheart.  They want it to air closer to and to fit in better with the Armor Wars movie. Thus the reported reason for the delay.

Edited by drotto

What If? Make it. That's fine.

Echo, Agatha, Ironheart. Shouldn't be made because no one cares.

X-Men'97 & Daredevil. Shouldn't be made because everyone cares. 

Edited by TupennyConan

Warner Bros. Discovery has lowered its 2023 adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) forecast to $10.5 billion to $11.0 billion, a hit of $300 million to $500 million, “predominantly due to the impact of the strikes,” compared with the previously targeted low end of the $11.0 billion to $11.5 billion range.

In a regulatory filing Tuesday, the company — led by CEO David Zaslav, who has been very engaged in negotiating with Hollywood unions to end the work stoppage — didn’t detail when it expects the strikes could end, but updated its guidance that had previously assumed they would be resolved by early September, as management had mentioned during its second-quarter earnings conference call.

“Uncertainty in the studio segment has increased with the dual strikes,” WBD CFO Gunnar Wiedenfels had said back then. “This may have implications for the timing and performance of the remainder of the film slate, as well as our ability to produce and deliver content. And while we are hoping for a fast resolution, our modeling assumes a return-to-work date in early September. Should the strikes run through the end of the year, I would expect several hundred million dollars of incremental upside to our free cash flow guidance and some incremental downside for adjusted EBITDA.”

On 9/6/2023 at 5:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

Obviously if that is true then the Studios are playing/planning a much longer term game.  I know CEOs can be bull headed, but if you have the choice to pay $47 million over 3 years, or lose $300 million in 4 months any sane person would pick the $47 million. 

Or it could be a case as simple as all the executives are being paid out the butt and this strike will not personally affect them so "screw the little guy".