• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Writers Guild of America (WGA) strike news
2 2

557 posts in this topic

From Deadline

"The large number of waivers for movie and TV productions, which is growing daily, is raising eyebrows, especially since a few of the projects have ties to struck companies that are members of the AMPTP.

Some of the high-profile projects that have received interim agreements so far include Apple TV+’s series Tehran; spy drama series The Gray House, produced by Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman, which is being distributed internationally by Paramount Global; New Line pickup The Watchers from Ishana Night Shyamalan; Glenn Close’s The Summer Book; Viola Davis’ MRC action thriller G20, which will be distributed by Amazon, as well as A24 titles Mother Mary and Dreams of a Unicorne."

This just an example of why the top earners in Hollywood have no understanding of actors, writers, and crewmembers that are struggling to survive.  Also why I thik many of the gestures and picket line appearances are more stunt then solidarity. They are powerful enough to find ways around the issues, and the union is beholden to these people and not the rank and file, so they condone and even endorse it.  Not saying I agree with Sarah Silverman (in fact I usually don't), bit I think she is making some excellent points here. Neither side is looking good at all right at the moment.

Full article here.

https://deadline.com/2023/07/sarah-silverman-interim-sag-aftra-agreements-movies-stars-strike-1235450719/

On 7/31/2023 at 7:14 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Wasn't he a nobody before that movie? Hel, I think I've seen him in 1 movie outside of that franchise.

If you haven't watched Goon (2012), give it a try. To me, it exceeds the sports comedy of Slap Shot.

Edited by Bosco685

On 7/31/2023 at 7:35 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Okay, 2 movies since the American Pie series. This and the comedy with Paul Rudd.

Also the one he did with Jackie Chan Chow Yun-Fat (my mistake), Bulletproof Monk I think?

Edited by media_junkie

On 7/31/2023 at 7:36 AM, media_junkie said:

Also the one he did with Jackie Chan Chow Yun-Fat (my mistake), Bulletproof Monk I think?

On 7/31/2023 at 7:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Never saw that. Comedy? Any good?

On 7/31/2023 at 7:40 AM, media_junkie said:

Ummm....moving on.

I saw Bulletproof Monk one time years ago, and can't even remember a scene in the movie.

:frown:

He went from 8K to about 40 Million in net worth so I am sure he is doing fine. Sometimes all it takes is that one role to be known for life. I remember watching a movie he did with the Rock but I don't remember if it was good or not. 

On 7/31/2023 at 7:14 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Wasn't he a nobody before that movie? Hel, I think I've seen him in 1 movie outside of that franchise.

We also have to keep some context the movie was shot 30 years ago (or close enough) at this point, was shot in 3 to 4 weeks and he was a nobody. I am sure he was thrilled at the time, and gleefully signed the contract, that was reviewed by his agents and lawyers.  Also, why should being in one film garentee him strong income for life? I want to see what he made for the sequels, if that was stupid low, that is an issue.  

Edited by drotto

On 7/31/2023 at 9:21 AM, drotto said:

I want to see what he made for the sequels, if that was stupid low, that is an issue.  

I couldn't find it for American Pie 2 and American Pie: Wedding, but for American Pie:Reunion (the 4th in the series), Seam William Scott was paid $5million plus a little of the gross.

Hollywood Reporter Article

According to sources, Universal is paying Jason Biggs and Seann William Scott a robust $5 million each, plus a small slice of first-dollar gross, to reprise their roles.

So I mean, not a bad pay day for what the films were.  

Perhaps we need a massive change for how actors and writers are paid period.  Shift the model away from upfront salaries, in fact decrease them for the top people. In return greatly increase the upfront cut and residuals across the board.  For instance, Margo Robbie was paid around $12.5 for Barbie.  So she would get a decreased initial salary but a significantly increased first cut box office and eventual residuals.

This does a few things.

1. Reduces out of control budgets

2. Provides a steadier income stream post release.

3. Increaes actors ownership in properties. 

4. Prevents studios disproportionately profiting from older properties.

5. Making sure studios pay for well performing properties, but protect them from over compensating for flops.

Now granted for this to work, we need to eliminate movie accounting, and assure viewership numbers for all distribution is more transparent. For now the base pay schedule would stay about the same, and the top end would be reduced.  A new pay schedule would be created to explicitly spell out first cut compensation and residuals based on the role, like is currently done with salaries.

n Friday, the Hollywood C.E.O.s and key labor executives of the AMPTP got together on a call to figure out their next steps in the labor impasse that has shut down most of the entertainment industry. According to multiple sources familiar with the tone and substance of the meeting, representatives for the studios and streamers expressed a desire to return to the bargaining table. Meanwhile, several participants pressed for the members to better align themselves on the key issues—things like residual rates and data transparency—so that chief negotiator Carol Lombardini would know what was and wasn’t acceptable to the membership. (An AMPTP rep declined to comment on the meeting).

We’ll see how serious the AMPTP is about returning to bargaining, but it’s pretty clear what it won’t agree to: the interim agreements that SAG-AFTRA has been issuing. These 70-page documents have allowed productions small and large for non-struck companies to continue with stars like Glenn Close, Jenna Ortega and Mark Wahlberg. They’ve also become controversial, with some saying they cause confusion and even undermine the strike—so much so that SAG-AFTRA felt the need to defend the deals in an e-mail to its members tonight. So it’s worth examining why the union is issuing the interim agreements, and what they reveal about SAG-AFTRA’s negotiating position with the studios.

The Lightning Rod
Structurally, these agreements give a production company the right to produce a film or television project with union actors during the strike. The form incorporates by reference the existing SAG-AFTRA film and TV collective bargaining agreements and adds dozens of terms that effectively incorporate the union’s most recent demands before talks with the studios and streamers collapsed. 

The Writers Guild of America and studios and streamers have finally set a date to meet: Aug. 4.

“The AMPTP, through Carol Lombardini, reached out to the WGA today and requested a meeting this Friday to discuss negotiations,” the WGA negotiating committee said in a statement to members on Tuesday. “We’ll be back in communication with you sometime after the meeting with further information. As we’ve said before, be wary of rumors. Whenever there is important news to share, you will hear it directly from us.”

The location of the meeting between representatives for the WGA and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, the group that negotiates on behalf of major entertainment companies, was not disclosed.

Edited by Bosco685