• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Writers Guild of America (WGA) strike news
2 2

557 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2023 at 8:43 AM, CAHokie said:

How does it work for the IATSE when SAG and WGA strike? It automatically puts them out of work at no fault of their own. Does it make them eligible for any type of unemployment or internal funding? 

Yeah basically we are out of work at no fault of our own. Most of us are collecting unemployment

On 9/25/2023 at 8:55 AM, Eclipse said:

Yeah basically we are out of work at no fault of our own. Most of us are collecting unemployment

That sucks but good to hear you are at least eligible for unemployment, even though it is a fraction what is made working. I wasn't really for sure if that would apply or not. Hope you get back to work soon. Nothing happens on the set without you guys. 

On 9/25/2023 at 8:55 AM, Eclipse said:

My mistake - only knew half the story :( 

Edited by 1Cool

On 9/25/2023 at 9:44 AM, 1Cool said:

You go on strike and it's not your fault you are not working??  A company lets you go during a slow time - that's is no fault of yours.  Weird world we live in.

He is not on strike. They are not the writers or the actors. He does not benefit from these new contracts.  They do other things on set and in the industry.

On 9/25/2023 at 8:43 AM, CAHokie said:

How does it work for the IATSE when SAG and WGA strike? It automatically puts them out of work at no fault of their own. Does it make them eligible for any type of unemployment or internal funding? 

IATSE is also eligible to receive help from the same community fund that the lower wage WGA/SAG workers are getting assistance from.

On 9/25/2023 at 9:44 AM, 1Cool said:

My mistake - only knew half the story :( 

Yeah my union is not on strike but cant do anything without the actors and writers, everything was shut down. Im in good shape, strike sucks but its not killing me, my crew on the other hand its hurting. Summer off was nice (i just had a house built and moved so the time off helped, the no paycheck didnt though), but its time to go back to work already

It was great when SAG didn't walk the picket lines for a couple of days a month or so ago because it was "too hot" at 100 degrees or whatever. You know how many times I've dragged around heavy gear on shoots when it's been over 100 degrees for weeks on end while SAG members sit in their air conditioned trailers waiting for someone to bring them their Starbucks order? It's hard to feel anything good about actors, ever. And yes, I'm aware that there are many lower players in SAG, background players and what not which is just evidence on how they treat their own.

A prop master told me once, "You know why actors act? - because they can't do anything else."

On 9/25/2023 at 12:52 PM, NoMan said:

It was great when SAG didn't walk the picket lines for a couple of days a month or so ago because it was "too hot" at 100 degrees or whatever. You know how many times I've dragged around heavy gear on shoots when it's been over 100 degrees for weeks on end while SAG members sit in their air conditioned trailers waiting for someone to bring them their Starbucks order? It's hard to feel anything good about actors, ever. And yes, I'm aware that there are many lower players in SAG, background players and what not which is just evidence on how they treat their own.

A prop master told me once, "You know why actors act? - because they can't do anything else."

There is a lot of truth to this statement. Some will eviscerate a person for just getting in the wrong food line! 

WGA members who will lose their health coverage on October 1 will be granted extended coverage through the end of the year, per the guild’s tentative agreement. The extension also applies to writers who will exhaust their COBRA benefits eligibility. WGA members will soon be voting to ratify the new deal.

Union health plans have been taking a beating since the Writers Guild went on strike on May 2, followed by SAG-AFTRA on July 14, due to a lack of employer contributions. The Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans (MPIPHP), which is covering IATSE’s West Coast locals, Teamsters Local 399 and several other industry unions, is reportedly down $150 million in employer contributions during the strikes.

It is estimated that entertainment workers have pulled approximately $45 Million out of their retirement accounts during the strike.  Depending on what they are pulling from and how much, they may also get hit with a 10% Federal Penalty and a 2.5% California (residents) penalty.

On 9/26/2023 at 8:18 AM, CAHokie said:

It is estimated that entertainment workers have pulled approximately $45 Million out of their retirement accounts during the strike.  Depending on what they are pulling from and how much, they may also get hit with a 10% Federal Penalty and a 2.5% California (residents) penalty.

How much did the studio executives pull out?

Rolling In Cash GIFs | Tenor

wait. They're still swimming in it.

On 9/26/2023 at 8:22 AM, Bosco685 said:

How much did the studio executives pull out?

Rolling In Cash GIFs | Tenor

wait. They're still swimming in it.

I get what you are saying and don't necessarily disagree, but a studio executive does have a bit more responsibility than the craft service assistant. 

Here is snapshot of all of the different people that work on a set and one way or another out of work during the strike. In reality there are even more people there than this even shows. 

film-crew-jobs.webp.8f46d5cf9ffe406821a583167e88b509.webp

On 9/26/2023 at 8:31 AM, CAHokie said:

Here is snapshot of all of the different people that work on a set and one way or another out of work during the strike. In reality there are even more people there than this even shows. 

film-crew-jobs.webp.8f46d5cf9ffe406821a583167e88b509.webp

It left out Assistant art directors, Key shop electric and construction grips under art. And thank god it left out all the 50 different positions of covid coordinators and assistants because they were all dropped before the strike.

On 9/26/2023 at 8:46 AM, Eclipse said:

It left out Assistant art directors, Key shop electric and construction grips under art. And thank god it left out all the 50 different positions of covid coordinators and assistants because they were all dropped before the strike.

Oh yessss!!!  I forgot about the covid coordinators!  I hated having to get tested 2 days before and again the day before (or day of).   I always found it amusing that I could be with the same person (or people) all day long with no mask and it was ok, but the second it was break time, we would get in trouble by a monitor for being too close to each other. lol

On 9/26/2023 at 8:28 AM, CAHokie said:

I get what you are saying and don't necessarily disagree, but a studio executive does have a bit more responsibility than the craft service assistant

What are you implying? That studio executive mishandling of negotiations had nothing to do with the state of wrok relations leading to the strike?

It just dismisses why things got the way they were until now. Even the statements Iger made (a very polished professional) were contributors to the disruption.

On 9/26/2023 at 9:04 AM, Bosco685 said:

What are you implying? That studio executive mishandling of negotiations had nothing to do with the state of wrok relations leading to the strike?

It just dismisses why things got the way they were until now. Even the statements Iger made (a very polished professional) were contributors to the disruption.

I am not implying anything and have no hidden agenda.  I have always struggled with the fact that heads of businesses (of any type) get paid so much more than the workers that make things happen, but also realize they have more responsibility and risk, so they are paid more. I have been consistent on this here and in the gold thread.  Naturally the heads of studios are not pulling out of their IRAs because most of them are rich.  If I knew the solution or right answer, I would be rich myself.

On 9/26/2023 at 9:08 AM, CAHokie said:

I am not implying anything and have no hidden agenda.  I have always struggled with the fact that heads of businesses (of any type) get paid so much more than the workers that make things happen, but also realize they have more responsibility and risk, so they are paid more. I have been consistent on this here and in the gold thread.  Naturally the heads of studios are not pulling out of their IRAs because most of them are rich.  If I knew the solution or right answer, I would be rich myself.

It was just an interesting statement to say studio executives have other responsibilities. Which now with this clarification I think you assumed I was implying executives and general workers should be paid equally. I wasn't.

But for all the strike damage to gain a little more for contributors, it is obvious the excessively paid executives could hold out with minor damage to their income. And now they will work through social media and news channels to convey the message how the union caused all this for not much gained. No matter what those gains are.