• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mazzucchelli CGC signature
3 3

18 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have two CGC signature series Batman books signed by David Mazzucchelli - Batman #405 9.4 and Batman #406 9.2, both signed in 2007. I bought these at a collectibles/pawn store several years ago, and in my research I haven’t been able to find any other Mazzucchelli signed CGC books. It seems that he only did a few signings with CGC in the mid-2000’s. I have a chance this summer to potentially add Frank Miller’s signature to these books - I have gotten Miller to sign some of my daredevil books in the past. Do you guys think I should attempt to add Miller‘s signature to these? Or leave them as is? Will Mazzucchelli ever do another CGC signing? Does anyone else on the boards have Mazzucchelli signature series books? Anyways, Cheers 🤟

55C5A22B-396A-4231-9DA8-100574EBDA81.jpeg

32222512-C0DF-4902-900B-680AADE5875B.jpeg

8783F1D7-F8C2-4F55-B1D4-46B0BF1708EE.jpeg

Depends on your collection goals, motives and your financial preferences and your risk aversion, all very subjective.  

But with you knowing nothing about me, and you knowing nothing about me, I’m comfortable saying you should get them signed by Frank Miller. 

To answer your question about the prospects of getting another CGC-certified signature from Mazz, it ain’t looking good.

A few years ago, he was announced as a speaker at an event, and it became known that he would sign some comics. But his hard-and-fast rule was that none of them could be submitted to CGC.

Rich Henn attended and got a bunch of comics signed, but none of them were certified.

So to answer your question, if it was me, I would get them signed by Frank Miller as well, but that's just my personal opinion.

Unfortunately, even though these are rare, because they are not 9.8 copies, they would not sell for the true value that they are worth.

Everyone has a personal financial benchmark which they would be willing to risk in order to achieve a quality and level of valuable collectible. I think in this instance, personally, you only have room to gain with adding Frank Miller's signature.

On 5/6/2023 at 9:34 PM, CardiacKid1 said:

A few years ago, he was announced as a speaker at an event, and it became known that he would sign some comics. But his hard-and-fast rule was that none of them could be submitted to CGC.

Rich Henn attended and got a bunch of comics signed, but none of them were certified.

I was at that event with Rich and got this signed. I then had him send it to a CGC Miller signing event. This is what I got back. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0122e29d4089fa01d9b2648dc3283007.jpeg

My question would be if CGC would "recertify" the original autograph considering it was before Mazzucchelli stopped allowing it. OR would you get a green Qualified stripe as I did.

Edited by Chaz G.

On 5/7/2023 at 5:40 PM, Chaz G. said:

I was at that event with Rich and got this signed. I then had him send it to a CGC Miller signing event. This is what I got back. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0122e29d4089fa01d9b2648dc3283007.jpeg

My question would be if CGC would "recertify" the original autograph considering it was before Mazzucchelli stopped allowing it. OR would you get a green Qualified stripe as I did.

Did you appeal this?  It’s outrageous 

On 5/7/2023 at 6:35 PM, Chaz G. said:

No. On what grounds? Mazz hasn't allowed for his sigs to be CGC certified in a decade.

Oh I assumed it was yellow first, then got qualified after miller also signed.  

i might have mixed up the original question and your situation.

On 5/7/2023 at 9:40 PM, revat said:

Oh I assumed it was yellow first, then got qualified after miller also signed.  

i might have mixed up the original question and your situation.

Aahhh. Yeah, mine were both signed in 2020 within a few months of each other.

I do wonder what would happen with the OP's books.

On 5/7/2023 at 8:40 PM, Chaz G. said:

I don’t understand this question?