• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fear about Flash comics value after movie release
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Hello guys, actually i was focused on other comics but i planned to invest on Flash in like 1years. But now the movie is avowed i hesitate to put priority on him. Did you think it s a risk of value increasement after June? 

To precise i want to buy some books from 1987 to 2011 Period.

Did we have some example of value up after a new movie? (except Batman LOL)

Do you know if the movie uses a storyline or villain from a particular issue? That is the book that will see an increase in interest from collectors. The title may see a small increase overall but I think you are likely to be safe. Have no fear! You will still be able to sleep at night......

Very often any increase happens before the movie, then when it's a bad film, interest tails off again gradually.

Edited by LowGradeBronze

Regardless of the quality of the film or it's potential success or failure the lead role is someone majority of comic collectors dislike or abhor.  Then there is the time proven rule; except for Batman and outliers never, ever speculate on DC.  As usual see my signature regarding era's to which my posts do not apply.

Edited by MAR1979

On 07/05/2023 at 13:25, LowGradeBronze said:

Savez-vous si le film utilise un scénario ou un méchant d'un problème particulier ? C'est le livre qui verra une augmentation de l'intérêt des collectionneurs. Le titre peut voir une petite augmentation globale, mais je pense que vous êtes susceptible d'être en sécurité. N'ai pas peur! Vous pourrez toujours dormir la nuit......

Très souvent, toute augmentation se produit avant le film, puis quand c'est un mauvais film, l'intérêt retombe progressivement.

And for sure that movie will be a bitter failure like every other DC movies except the Dark Knight Trilogy (in my opinion).

There’s been a million comic movies now.  You could probably use GPA to track the sales trends with respect to how much the related comics generally go up and down and when.

of course every movie and hero is different, but there’s enough data to see if there’s any trends.  If there isn’t, then speculation is moot, if there is then you might be able to exploit.  

but very generally, leading up to the movie is a tough time to buy, and you’re probably better off waiting until two years after the movie, depending on how long you can wait.  But if a major character is introduced the price might plateau higher than it is now.  

maybe ask chat gpt?

On 5/7/2023 at 3:59 AM, BA773 said:

Hello guys, actually i was focused on other comics but i planned to invest on Flash in like 1years. But now the movie is avowed i hesitate to put priority on him. Did you think it s a risk of value increasement after June? 

To precise i want to buy some books from 1987 to 2011 Period.

Did we have some example of value up after a new movie? (except Batman LOL)

What's so special about this period that makes you think that investing in it is a good idea?

On 5/8/2023 at 4:52 AM, pemart1966 said:

Quelle est la particularité de cette période qui vous fait penser qu'y investir est une bonne idée ?

I never said i think it s a good idea. its just because i love this charachter and want to get books to a reasonable price

Edited by BA773

On 5/7/2023 at 9:08 AM, MAR1979 said:

Regardless of the quality of the film or it's potential success or failure the lead role is someone majority of comic collectors dislike or abhor.

Once again, this isn't true in the slightest.

On 5/8/2023 at 1:10 AM, BA773 said:

I never said i think it s a good idea. its just because i love this charachter and want to get books to a reasonable price

Your original post mentions that you're planning to invest in Flash comics in a year and you also ask whether there could be an increase in value to Flash comics produced between 1987 and 2011.  That's an investment query either directly or indirectly.

On 08/05/2023 at 14:20, pemart1966 said:

Votre message d'origine mentionne que vous envisagez d'investir dans des bandes dessinées Flash dans un an et vous demandez également s'il pourrait y avoir une augmentation de la valeur des bandes dessinées Flash produites entre 1987 et 2011. C'est une question d'investissement directe ou indirecte.

Yeah the interrogation its if i wait 1 year to buy it did i have to pay the double of the price, there is my principal questionning.

I sold most of my books when Marvel was really ramping up in 2014/2015 (this was around the time Captain Marvel was announced) and man - did the cosmic stuff skyrocket. There was a sustained long-view on the story (by Marvel's design) and everyone was interested in picking up those books for many years because the story was slow in rolling out, so - for lack of a better term - the comic collectors were being 'edged' as each movie came out teasing a little more of the story. This helped hold a lot of Marvel book values.

It seems that after a movie, there is a significant drop-off in interest, resulting in loss of value because once the hype is over and onto the next thing - sustaining that price doesn't happen easily. And this is obvious to everyone here, but worth stating.

The issue I see with movie speculating is that the movies are so disjointed, you might get a bump on an announcement or trailer, but there's no long-term stories being developed, and I think that's affecting books being able to hold their value.

If you're going to buy Flash books in a year, my guess is that those will have come down from what you are seeing now. There's never going to be another Infinity Saga-type story for comic book movie fans. That ship has sailed, and it was glorious. Not to say they won't put out connected movies, but what Marvel did was a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and it was neat to see how it affected comics.

On 5/8/2023 at 1:10 AM, BA773 said:

Get books you want, or like for yourself, at a price/grade that you’re happy with and you’ll never be disappointed 🤷‍♂️

Edited by nepatkm
Grade

On 5/8/2023 at 7:21 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Once again, this isn't true in the slightest.

Start a poll thread here in General if you like, and we'll see what the perception is...

Edited by MAR1979

Regardless of the quality of the film or it's potential success or failure the lead role is someone majority of comic collectors on the CGC forums dislike or abhor.  Then there is the time proven rule; except for Batman and outliers never, ever speculate on DC.  As usual see my signature regarding era's to which my posts do not apply.

^ I'd ask if you are happy now, but we all know thats a no

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/12/2023 at 5:06 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you think CGC houses "most comic collectors", I have a bridge to sell you.

We are the center of the comic collecting universe, dammit. lol

Is there a place where the "majority" congregate anymore? With the advent (in the 12 years since I joined) of Facebook groups, Instagram, apps, YouTube, Discord and whatever else constitutes as a community - is there anywhere that holds a larger percentage of collectors than another? I mean, back when I joined, I think this place and CBR were the only two major places that actually had frequent activity.