• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Edition Sports Illustrated from 1954 (with Cards inside)
2 2

8 posts in this topic

I am currently a CSG member...Is this where I would submit my first edition Sports Illustrated from 1954?  And I have no clue what the cost would be to have it graded (4% of fair market value?)...Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I would submit it as a High Value if you know it's a high grade copy, over 9.0. That covers you for insurance up to $1000, and costs $85 to grade. The only grade that wouldn't be kosher in that tier is 9.8, a big jump in gpa value to around $3500. Then CGC might notify you of a change in fees due to being in the wrong tier.

If you think it will grade under 9.0, you could send it as Vintage for $37.

On 5/12/2023 at 2:04 PM, Lonestarr7 said:

I am currently a CSG member...Is this where I would submit my first edition Sports Illustrated from 1954?  And I have no clue what the cost would be to have it graded (4% of fair market value?)...Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

From my experiences with this magazine, if you do not already know, there are some variations and reprints to the #1 Sports Illustrated from 1954 - and they look like the original at first glance. 

I have a similar question . Nicole (from Customer Service) successfully addressed it yesterday and actually "eased my troubled mind"  

.  I submitted a 1985 Topps Mario Lemieux RC AND a 1st edition of Sports Illustrated (from August of 1954) , at the same time- about 3 weeks ago..  Nicole explained that the Lemieux RC is about on it's way but because of the switch in CSG's official name to CGC, the Sports Illustrated has been delayed (For 2 days) until the Company can receive the grading labels for Magazines like Sports Illustrated.  Thanks Nicole, and I am anxiously also awaiting the receipt of both my graded Lemieux card and my Sports Illustrated1st edition Magazine from 1954.

Michael Tucci (Member since 2021)