• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs. PGX

64 posts in this topic

PGX SUCKS!

CGC ROCKS!

.... screwy.gif

Anyway. My personal opinion is I like PGX's slab better than CGC's, but CGC's grading better than PGX's. The PGX slab is much more durable that CGC's. Also PGX's turnaround times seem to be better, as well as prices. But they are lacking the better "grading".

PGX SUCKS!

CGC ROCKS!

.... screwy.gif

Anyway. My personal opinion is I like PGX's slab better than CGC's, but CGC's grading better than PGX's. The PGX slab is much more durable that CGC's. Also PGX's turnaround times seem to be better, as well as prices. But they are lacking the better "grading".

so when you say "better" grading, which company is the stricter grader ?

PGX SUCKS!

CGC ROCKS!

.... screwy.gif

I've found that CGC tends to be the stricter grader with most modern/bronze/silver books. PGX semes to be tougher on golden age books. But, overall, I'd say the grading is pretty similar between the companies.

PGX SUCKS!

CGC ROCKS!

.... screwy.gif

I've found that CGC tends to be the stricter grader with most modern/bronze/silver books. PGX semes to be tougher on golden age books. But, overall, I'd say the grading is pretty similar between the companies.

I would say CGC is most definetly the stricter grader. When it comes to modern books I think CGC is very, very leniant. But towards everything else they are very strict. I don't know PGX's stance on modern books because I haven't really had any experience with it. But with all other books I'd say they are much more liberal.

PGX SUCKS!

CGC ROCKS!

.... screwy.gif

I would say CGC is most definetly the stricter grader. When it comes to modern books I think CGC is very, very leniant. But towards everything else they are very strict. I don't know PGX's stance on modern books because I haven't really had any experience with it. But with all other books I'd say they are much more liberal.

It's always a balancing act.

I'd say that CGC was a no-brainer if you are slabbing to sell Modern books. CGC is more lenient on Modern books, so you'll most likely get a higher grade (maybe even one or two notches) above PGX in many cases on Modern books 9.0 and above, PLUS you have the CGC rep which will help bring top dollar on your sales for those books. PLUS the CGC fee of $12 is only $2 more than the $10 PGX on Moderns and turnaround at this level for both companies is about the same.

Early bronze and silver is a bit more complicated. Now you are talking $14 for PGX and 3-4 weeks as compared to $23.20 for CGC and a turnarount time of several months. Now PGX loosens up a bit when you are getting into 8.0 and lower books, especially around the 6.0 range where I believe CGC may be a bit stricter. Plus on the older books you still have that CGC rep goin' for ya' which always helps out.

I net it out as CGC is by far the better way to go for all books 1975 and up and PGX for all books 8.5 or less and published 1974 and before. If you are lucky enough to own the VF/NM and better Silver books that start selling for serious money, then I'd stick with CGC as the extra fee and turnaround starts becoming worth it so that you can make top dollar on your sales.

Granted, my comments come from a selling perspective. I have never really understood why anyone wants to slab their own books that they plan on keeping anyway, but if you do, the comments I made above may not apply.

PGX couldn't accurately grade a comic if the thing jumped off the table and bit their graders in the as$. These fellas are copycat crybabies. They are Pepsis chasing after Coke. They are the Chinese pirating and stealing American technology. Will sumbudy slap those guys with a humoungous pair of floppy saggies already!!!!

PGX couldn't accurately grade a comic if the thing jumped off the table and bit their graders in the as$. These fellas are copycat crybabies. They are Pepsis chasing after Coke. They are the Chinese pirating and stealing American technology. Will sumbudy slap those guys with a humoungous pair of floppy saggies already!!!!

The thing is, some people prefer Pepsi over Coke, but I'm a Coke guy myself.

PGX SUCKS!

CGC ROCKS!

.... screwy.gif

I'm surprised you say "much more liberal." I'd say CGC and PGX tend to be pretty equal in terms of overall grading "prowess." At least I've rarely seen a PGX graded book where I said "holy [embarrassing lack of self control], what were these guys thinking!?" I've seen at least as many CGC graded books that I disagree with (per capita, I mean - obviously there are many more CGC graded books out there).

The only area I've questioned with PGX is their page quality grading...I've seen some books that were clearly off-white or cream to off-white that have come back white or off-white, respectively. But they seem to follow a similar grading structure to CGC in terms of overall grading...

I'm in no way a PGX "pusher" but I have noticed more and more PGX books popping up on ebay and comiclink.

PGX graded harder the one time I sent books to them. My Marvel Spotlight 5 was graded at 8.5, then the new owner out of Canada, unslabbed it and sent it to CGC and it came back 9.0.

More $coin$ for that smart individual.

I've sold three of the PGA slabs, and now regret not unslabbing them and sending them to CGC, just for monitary purposes. My X-Men 95 was a NM in my opinion and PGA (now PGX) gave it a 9.0. My Iron Fist 14 also was graded 9.0. Selling them on Ebay didn't even get the $$ for the ungraded condition. If they were CGC'd, they'd have likely hit 9.2 and I truly believe the X-Men 95 was a 9.4.

I think if the book is a low dollar book, the PGX slab will do you just as well as the CGC, but on books that should sell for over $150 and getting towards 9.0 and up, you'll make your money by going CGC.

My 2 cents worth.

I like the PGX holder better.

My next batch is going to Florida.

I've sold three of the PGA slabs, and now regret not unslabbing them and sending them to CGC, just for monitary purposes. My X-Men 95 was a NM in my opinion and PGA (now PGX) gave it a 9.0. My Iron Fist 14 also was graded 9.0. Selling them on Ebay didn't even get the $$ for the ungraded condition. If they were CGC'd, they'd have likely hit 9.2 and I truly believe the X-Men 95 was a 9.4.

I think if the book is a low dollar book, the PGX slab will do you just as well as the CGC, but on books that should sell for over $150 and getting towards 9.0 and up, you'll make your money by going CGC.

My same exact experiences. I'll surely send my mid-grade older books to PGX, but the high dollar, high grade books go to CGC, simply for the odds of a better grade and higher sale price. It's all economics.

My same exact experiences. I'll surely send my mid-grade older books to PGX, but the high dollar, high grade books go to CGC, simply for the odds of a better grade and higher sale price. It's all economics.

Yep... I used to send my baseball cards to PSA not because they were the best graders, but because of the highest resale. Capitalism baby!

PGX graded harder the one time I sent books to them. My Marvel Spotlight 5 was graded at 8.5, then the new owner out of Canada, unslabbed it and sent it to CGC and it came back 9.0.

More $coin$ for that smart individual.

My 2 cents worth.

I like the PGX holder better.

My next batch is going to Florida.

Yeah, I certainly don't mind owning PGX books and a lot of the time I'll take them over CGC simply because they tend to sell for less. But if I'm grading to sell, CGC is still the best.

I still say that PGX is at least as strict as CGC on grading...