• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the longest series run you collected?
5 5

109 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2023 at 9:40 PM, F For Fake said:

At one time I decided I wanted to own every Batman comic from the Post-Crisis era to what was current. Eventually that became an unbroken run of 400-713, plus all of the corresponding spin-offs (LotDK, SotB, Nightwing, Robin, etc) and every one-shot and miniseries, and included the complete New 52 run (plus all variants), into Rebirth. And then one day I just decided that I was done, and I sold them all. I was tired of buying the new books that I wasn't really interested anymore, and I was tired of the space that the runs took up versus hardcovers and trades that I could display on a shelf. So it's all gone now, every bit of it, and honestly I don't miss it. The only regret is that there is still a large chunk not collected in HC as of yet, but I'm hopeful that we'll get there. The post-Crisis series of Caped Crusader and Dark Knight Detective trade paperbacks were very popular, selling out and going crazy in value, so I'm hopefully we'll eventually get those in omni.

The only other long runs I had were X-men, from GSX 1 until 282, which is when I stopped reading (the first time.)

I don't own many "regular" comics anymore, but the few that I have left include long runs of LoSH (complete set of the Baxter series through Five Years Later) and Justice League International, which I keep because I would probably have to pay someone to take them.

Men its crazy its exacly what im actually doing (collecting batman 404 to 713)

On 5/17/2023 at 3:49 PM, BA773 said:
On 5/16/2023 at 2:28 PM, ttfitz said:

I have complete runs of (Uncanny) X-Men, Avengers, and nearly complete runs of Fantastic Four (#1 and #5 missing), Amazing Spider-Man (1,3, 9, and 14), Silver Age Green Lantern (#1) and Flash (112 and 132). I guess my longest run is probably Action Comics, where I have from issue 243 to present (along with all but 4 issues back to 189).

You collected 85 years of Superman story? Awesome:jawdrop:

Action Comics 243 is from 1958, so more like 65 years (and 189 is from 1954 which is almost 70 years).

Edited by ttfitz
Extra dates

On 5/17/2023 at 1:03 AM, jdandns said:

In sheer number of issues, it's probably Uncanny X-Men for me as I have it from around #20 through somewhere in the 400's (less an occasional issue here and there and the reprint run from 67-93).

Totally uninterrupted, from the Bongo Comics line, I have Simpsons 1-245, plus Bart Simpson 1-100, plus Futurama 1-83, and Spongebob Squarepants 1-85, Treehouse of Horror 1-23, the various Radioactive Man series, and all of the mini-series and one-shots which constitute well over another 100 comics.

I've also got all Swamp Things, the 171 issue series that started in the early 80's, plus the 1970's series before it, and the several that followed it, which all-told, constitute another 100+ issues. 

Runner-up would probably be Daredevil, which I have from the first Frank Miller issue (#158) to somewhere in the 300's

I've also got Incredible Hulk from around 290 through the end of the Peter David run, which I think would make for about 160 issues straight.

Wow, a full swamp thing  collection, i really appreciate it!

On 5/17/2023 at 3:23 AM, ttfitz said:

Being a DC fan, I realized long ago that I would never have a complete run of most of the titles I followed, so I made it a goal to get a complete run published during my lifetime (ie 1962-present). I have done so for most of them - Action Comics ('59 to present), Adventure Comics(1955+), Batman (1961 (#140) - present), Detective Comics (Dec-1961-present), Flash (1960+), Green Lantern (1960+), Superman (1955+), and World's Finest (1960+). Although I recently was going thru my collection and discovered a few issues that I had marked off my list that were actually missing the centerfold or had an ad cut out, so I've added them back to the wantlist.

I never thinked to a concept like that, its a really good idea!

On 5/17/2023 at 6:10 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I mean, if I sold all my GA books (roughly 40 books, approximating $200 per book) I could get most of the way there. If I added in my Batman collection, that is probably close to 10-12k which could get it done. But again, there goes 300-305 books or so that I just would feel empty not having. I am only 33 so the allure to do this right now is not high...perhaps when I hit my 40s but by then who knows where the prices will be. It probably is something I should try to do now whilst able and worry about recouping the other books later should I miss them that much.

Its what i thinked, we didn't know how can that book continue to grow up in many years... Jump  over before that become impossible.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:01 PM, ttfitz said:

Action Comics 243 is from 1958, so more like 65 years (and 189 is from 1954 which is almost 70 years).

Ah sorry i didnt understanded the parenthesis at the end... but thats stay an enormous run!

Been working on my Hulk run for a very long time from 1962 to 2017.  I felt that when Banner was killed and Amadeus Cho took over for that year or so was the right time to stop.  Although I think I should have stopped after the WWH storyline that I very much enjoyed.  I just got turned off with the character directions and the multiple variant covers.  Completing the collection is still ongoing as I attempt to get nice copies up to 2017 that include promos, DVD inserts, Legends figures, and even the two that came with the Hulk Silly Putty.

If I were to collect another character it would be Daredevil and the Punisher.  

On 5/18/2023 at 5:13 AM, oldbsturgeon said:

I haven’t totally decided but I suspect I may be working on this as well

If you want an idea i started from 0 in 2023 and now i get 285 issues (with almost all the keys included) i spent 1590 dollars that, i am under 250 dollars to finish. And more i live in Switzerland so i have to buy to international and paid expensive delivery. Considering that i think you can get the full run for like 1300-1400 dollars if you do some good deals.

My best advice is to no be feared about buy some expensive big lots, often you see some lots with big keys included and a great number of other books, you do the math and realize the offer is always better. If you just pick each issues you will pay the real prices for keys and 3 for conventional issues, is too much...

So buy some great lots to disgorge and after complete the hole

Edited by BA773

On 5/16/2023 at 5:44 PM, Robot Man said:

Long runs can become a real burden. Also where do you draw the line? Take Spider-Man or Batman. Do you just stick with the original title? Detective has over 1,000 issues. Do you also go after the Batman title? Spin-offs and all books that feature the character? Variants?

Could be an off the hook compulsion.

I prefer to “spread the love” buying a lot of different books and characters. Pick out my favorites and call it a day. I love ALL genres. Nice to be able to enjoy different stuff once in a while. This hobby has SO much to offer. 

I predominantly collect ASM and working on a run of 1-375 of which I’m 3/4 there. 
I do now though feel like selling bit off and swaying towards other runs. 
I definitely want to finish the original Silver Surfer run and make a start on Lee and Kirby’s FF run. 

On 5/17/2023 at 3:54 PM, BA773 said:

Never compare to others, its not because a guy get a more valuable collection than you that is better, the best collection is the one you build with  the books you loved! 

This is very true!  It's hard to explain, but I have a lot more appreciation for the comics I bought fresh off the stands than for the ones I later bought to fill in the gaps in my collection.  Those later purchases somehow feel cheapened by the fact that I'm not necessarily the original owner.  It really doesn't make any sense, but I can be kind of a weirdo sometimes... :shiftyeyes:

On 5/17/2023 at 8:54 PM, BA773 said:

Never compare to others, its not because a guy get a more valuable collection than you that is better, the best collection is the one you build with  the books you loved! 

I agree. For me it’s mainly about emotional connection, and that determines the books I’ll keep hold of. The best memories, recalling the best, most positive experiences, which isn’t often about market value. Random occurrences, and a similar unpredictability to the books associated with those.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/18/2023 at 1:47 AM, BA773 said:

If you want an idea i started from 0 in 2023 and now i get 285 issues (with almost all the keys included) i spent 1590 dollars that, i am under 250 dollars to finish. And more i live in Switzerland so i have to buy to international and paid expensive delivery. Considering that i think you can get the full run for like 1300-1400 dollars if you do some good deals.

My best advice is to no be feared about buy some expensive big lots, often you see some lots with big keys included and a great number of other books, you do the math and realize the offer is always better. If you just pick each issues you will pay the real prices for keys and 3 for conventional issues, is too much...

So buy some great lots to disgorge and after complete the hole

So I haven’t decided where I want to start at. I have it right now at 608, so the hush storyline, to 713. (Which I have 27 to go, all common books) and then probably the other volumes too so it would be current.

or I could go the other direction and go with older books. I really wonder if they decide to switch back to regular numbering or will it always be legacy numbering.

No rush  either way I guess

On 5/18/2023 at 9:50 AM, goblinjareth said:

I'm missing just a handful of issues from early in The Wicked + The Divine, which will be 51 once completed, not counting variant covers.

For whatever reason, that's the title where I wound up getting all the variant covers as well; although I didn't bother getting the trades and the variants they had on one or two of those.