• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM FF121 with Magenta Blob
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Really curious what people think of this book, particularly about the magenta blob on the cover. 

Of course I can't be certain, but it doesn't look like it was added after the fact (there's no bleed through the cover at all) so I'm guessing that it's some sort of printing error. 

Do people agree that it's a printing error? If yes, how does the CGC handle this when it comes to grades? Ignored? 

Thanks for your thoughts - trying to learn here. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

It's a bit of misconception that printing defects are ignored, but they are penalized less severely. Assuming this is some kind of "bonus" ink from the printing process, it would probably be treated like other ink-related printing defects. This defect isn't specifically spelled out in the guide book, but IMO is most closely related to "Ink Missing" as it's the opposite phenomenon. The book says 6.0-9.8 for Ink Missing with the usual ambiguous language about severity and effect on appearance being the determining factors. IMO this isn't the worst one could imagine, but it is very noticeable. I would guess if the book was otherwise perfect, this would land between 7.5-8.5. With this particular copy, I suspect the ink won't factor into the grade b/c of the creasing on the BRFC. I'd say 6.5/7.0 b/c that corner looks pretty creasy. 

Edited by scburdet