• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collectors Comics - How do they make money?
2 2

63 posts in this topic

I know they don't charge seller fees, but I imagine the buyer must pay a fee similar to Heritage, so that is probably where the money is coming from.

It makes sense for a new auction house to employ this tactic as they need sellers to consign their books and the lack of fees is where they can stand out from the rest of the pack.

On 5/20/2023 at 1:18 AM, jjfversion1 said:

I know they don't charge seller fees, but I imagine the buyer must pay a fee similar to Heritage, so that is probably where the money is coming from.

If you follow the link to the main page and move through the banner ad at the top by clicking the arrows, you will see the header that says 100% free to buyer and seller. 

You are likely correct that they are not charging sellers in order to populate their site, but it appears they are doubling down by also not charging buyers.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:13 PM, Lightning55 said:

If you follow the link to the main page and move through the banner ad at the top by clicking the arrows, you will see the header that says 100% free to buyer and seller. 

You are likely correct that they are not charging sellers in order to populate their site, but it appears they are doubling down by also not charging buyers.

I stand corrected! Interesting business model, but I guess you have to spend money to make money.

On 5/20/2023 at 1:16 PM, toro said:

I assume they must have a ton of their own slabs that are in the marketplace and the auctions.  It is just clunky website.

Agree 100%. Pretty bad website although I've seen worse. Somewhat overpriced books, but all in all I enjoy his YouTube rants and hope the best for him

On 5/19/2023 at 11:13 PM, Lightning55 said:

He said eventually he will just charging.

It's smart and basic tactic to get a customer and consignor base then to start charging commissions.

Last week in the auction was the first time I used the site.  I won a few books, but there were a few that had me scratching my head on the final price.  I may try selling there in the next auction, but I will not be sending in anything super high end.

On 5/20/2023 at 7:08 AM, Ryan. said:

They are going with a completely free model to establish their brand. They will start charging fees likely next year. It's a smart strategy that drives traffic to their site where they also sell books directly. 

I just wish they wouldn't put those stupid stickers on the back of the case.

They put stickers on the back of slabs? spoon, finally had CL stop doing that #$$% after years of waiting. I think it is counterproductive because some buyers simply wont use the site because they dont want the pain of removing them. 

On 5/20/2023 at 3:50 PM, Stefan_W said:

They put stickers on the back of slabs? spoon, finally had CL stop doing that #$$% after years of waiting. I think it is counterproductive because some buyers simply wont use the site because they dont want the pain of removing them. 

I doubt you wrote "spoon" here.  I wonder what word they automatically replaced with spoon.  Like for m0r0n, they replace it with insufficiently_thoughtful_person, or something like that.

Edited by Lightning55

On 8/14/2023 at 10:33 AM, Askinator said:

It's curious how they manage to operate without charging fees. They could have revenue streams from premium features, partnerships, or even sponsored content. It's a reminder that there are creative ways to sustain platforms beyond traditional fees.On a personal note, I've been on a quest for ways to boost my income too. Recently, I found out about games that make money while having fun. It's like a double win – entertainment and a bit of extra cash. So, whether you're into comics or exploring money-making games, it's all about finding those unique opportunities.