• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sketch Card Grading

2 posts in this topic

I would like to ask about sketch cards and how the grading process works for these given the unique nature of these types of cards. They are heavily handled by the artist, and I would think that grades for them would be lower on average than they appear to be in the pop report. Marvel Metal 2022 artist sketch cards are almost all 8.5 or better.

A few questions:

1) Could you provide any clarity on how graders grade these cards?

2) Does ink bleed through affect surface grades? I am attaching two pictures of cards where the ink has bled through from the front of the cards to the back. One is graded by CGC and received an 8. These are not my cards, but I'm interested because I'll be grading some sketch cards in the future if I can better understand the process. It would seem to me like any surface issues caused by the mediums in which the artists used to put the art on the cards should not negatively impact the grades of these cards, but I'm wondering if CGC disagrees and docks for something like ink bleed through.

3) How do graders differentiate between surface damage caused by the artist during the drawing process and surface damage that might come after that's not caused by the artist? Unless it's something obvious that would affect the grade, like a dent or a crease, how are minor surface flaws handled? Is CGC in general more lenient when grading these cards?

4) How is centering determined? Especially for sketch cards that have no borders printed on, like the Marvel Metal 2022 sketch cards.

Corner damage and edge wear are more self explanatory.  

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Front 1.jpg

Back 1.jpg

Front 2.jpg

Back 2.jpg

• Administrator

Hello @RoLaren,

Thank you for reaching out to us. CGC grading processes are proprietary, so I cannot share specifics; however, I will try to provide some information. First, when grading any card, the graders work as a team to reach a consensus on the final grade. More than one grader will review each card to ensure that we are consistent with our processes and standards. Issues like ink bleeds will affect the grade; however, the extent of the impact an ink bleed will have on the grade is at the discretion of the graders. I am sorry, but I am not able to share any specific processes the grading team uses to determine the cause of damage. Any damage to the card will affect the grade, but the extent it will affect the grade is at the discretion of the graders. Our graders measure the centering against the original design. Centering grades result from the evaluation of the registration of the card's primary front and back designs within the frame of the cardstock as intended by the original design.

If we can help with anything else, please let us know.