• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Spider-Man #1
1 1

10 posts in this topic

On 5/22/2023 at 2:20 AM, SolidShredder said:

I see some several spine ticks, some color breaking, the one that you mentioned is particularly large. CGC is pretty rough on modern books like this. 9.8 is right out. 9.4-9.6 probably. 

Thanks. Is 1990 modern? 33 years ago?

On 5/22/2023 at 9:23 AM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

9.4.......................What does ...collection only copy....mean ?

Thanks. A copy purchased as a collectible, not to read.

On 5/22/2023 at 3:23 PM, MikeTheSpike said:

Ah, ok, that's weird because the physical comics are fundamentally different now compared to before 2000.

Baseball is fundamentally different than it was ten years ago but both are considered the modern era.

>9.2

CGC defines Modern as 1975 and later; Vintage as before 1975 (as of a few weeks ago). This is different than how a comic historian might break eras down (Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze/Copper/Modern). For CGC it's for division of labor–who's doing the grading, what they watch out for & how much they charge. Older books take more time to examine & grade properly. There are multiple different groups at CGC who work separately. They're on a large campus, so the people doing Signature Series are in a different building than the people doing Moderns & so forth. Unless you're talking about fee structure and submissions to CGC, I'd default to the historical definition of eras. Then you can argue when the Modern Age really began, which is sometime between 1991 & the early 2000s, depending on who you ask.

On 5/22/2023 at 11:48 PM, scburdet said:

Then you can argue when the Modern Age really began, which is sometime between 1991 & the early 2000s, depending on who you ask.

Yes, I personally think it's pretty silly to call 30 year old books modern, but a lot of people still do. Historically, I'd call this book Copper. My cut off point is around the proliferation of digital coloring. So, shortly after the founding of Image comics when Digital Chameleon finally pushed Marvel and DC to adopt the approach and it became mainstream. This would be 1994-1995. I would also not be adverse to the argument of a "Digital Age" taking place after the Copper Age starting with digital coloring and ending when digital distribution of comics became mainstream. This would start around 2007 with Marvel. By 2013 Image and DC would join in with their own digital services. So it would roughly go : Gold 1940-60, Silver 1960-1970, Bronze 1970-1985, Copper 1985-1995, Digital 1995-2010, Modern 2010-Present. I think it makes sense for ages to average around a 10-15 year span. The only exception being the Golden age. Although, I'm not against splitting that one up either. 

On 5/22/2023 at 11:48 PM, scburdet said:

>9.2

CGC defines Modern as 1975 and later; Vintage as before 1975 (as of a few weeks ago). This is different than how a comic historian might break eras down (Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze/Copper/Modern). For CGC it's for division of labor–who's doing the grading, what they watch out for & how much they charge. Older books take more time to examine & grade properly. There are multiple different groups at CGC who work separately. They're on a large campus, so the people doing Signature Series are in a different building than the people doing Moderns & so forth. Unless you're talking about fee structure and submissions to CGC, I'd default to the historical definition of eras. Then you can argue when the Modern Age really began, which is sometime between 1991 & the early 2000s, depending on who you ask.

Interesting historical note. I didn't realize they eras were graded separately like that but I guess it makes sense. Is that "greater than/at least 9.2"?