• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Release! CCG Presses Play on CGC Home Video Grading VHS tapes!
3 3

62 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2023 at 12:50 AM, Kubiator said:

What's interesting is that video tapes deteriorate over time. The binders that hold the magnetic oxide to the plastic tape become undone and actually makes the tape sticky. If you play it in your video cassette recorder/player, it'll start squeaking, gum up the heads, and ruin the cassette player. It's called Sticky-Shed Syndrome. You can actually temporarily repair your tapes by baking them at low heat for 8 hours or so. Anyway, I bring this up because I'm sure CGC will just grade the packaging and doesn't check if the cassette is even playable. I would be impossible to check playability because if the tape is bad, it'll mess up the player and they'd have to repair it over and over again.

The big excitement and opportunity here is for sealed items, as they won't be able to verify the internal contents. No different than say with toys that don't have a bubble nor window etc.

For reference point, a NM slabbed factory sealed 1984 Star Wars IV fetched just under $2,100 on CL. As you climb in the NM/MT range, the multiples are gigantic. 

On 5/28/2023 at 12:20 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

These will still probably get a CGC case before Treasury sized comics. 

I hope they never grade Treasuries.  I used to have a nice HG collection

On 5/28/2023 at 5:25 PM, Larryw7 said:

I wonder if there will be a pressing service for these?

More likely to be a Blockbuster service.  Charge you to rewind the tape. 

On 5/28/2023 at 5:42 AM, Larryw7 said:

Laserdisc had the best packaging and art. I suppose they're too big to grade.

s-l1600.png

80s laser discs in particular are really awesome as watching these movies in real-time decades ago in this format was very special.

There is such a next level genuine archival nostalgic quality to factory sealed LDs and LPs! 

Very interesting to see the vhs graded stuff I know there’s a market for Diamond Disney classics some vhs tapes sell for 1k and above 

On 5/29/2023 at 2:00 PM, Krismusic said:

Very interesting to see the vhs graded stuff I know there’s a market for Diamond Disney classics some vhs tapes sell for 1k and above 

Unfortunately this is a very old and very untrue myth, Diamond clamshells are very common and can be bought in excellent condition for the same price as all the other Disneys.

Also, before anyone brings it up, The Little Mermaid with the &$#&@ on the cover isn’t worth anything either. ☺️

After months of anticipation, CGC Home Video™ officially began accepting submissions on May 25, 2023. Now, the newest division of Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) announces its first graded VHS — a 1983 “Blade Runner” videocassette graded CGC 9.0 Sealed A++. After authentication and grading, CGC Home Video encapsulated it with a certification label that contains a notation recognizing it as the first VHS graded by CGC Home Video.

On 5/29/2023 at 2:18 PM, Shazbot said:

Unfortunately this is a very old and very untrue myth, Diamond clamshells are very common and can be bought in excellent condition for the same price as all the other Disneys.

Also, before anyone brings it up, The Little Mermaid with the &$#&@ on the cover isn’t worth anything either. ☺️

I dunno eBay sold listings say otherwise. I mean there are quite a few all can’t be fake completed sales.