• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions on NY Comic Con 2023
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

So I'm considering making my first trip to the NY Comic Con this October 2023. As I've only been to a couple of local cons, I just have a few questions. 

Is it that difficult to get tickets? I see on the con's website about VIP and rollover tickets. Hoping some will be left for the general sale. 

Any idea on what guests are charging for autographs and photo ops? I would like to meet director John Carpenter as I've interviewed him twice by phone over the years but never got to meet him in person. 

Am I crazy to think there are any deals on Silver and Bronze age copies at this con or is everything marked up due to the cons popularity?

Thanks in advance for any answers and advice. 

On 5/25/2023 at 5:11 PM, Cushing Fan said:

Hi everyone, 

So I'm considering making my first trip to the NY Comic Con this October 2023. As I've only been to a couple of local cons, I just have a few questions. 

Is it that difficult to get tickets? I see on the con's website about VIP and rollover tickets. Hoping some will be left for the general sale. 

Any idea on what guests are charging for autographs and photo ops? I would like to meet director John Carpenter as I've interviewed him twice by phone over the years but never got to meet him in person. 

Am I crazy to think there are any deals on Silver and Bronze age copies at this con or is everything marked up due to the cons popularity?

Thanks in advance for any answers and advice. 

No idea about the availability of tickets. Probably best to buy in advance just in case.

I would think creator pricing and “packages” would be posted on the website. Also, probably best to purchase in advance for the more popular folks.

”Deals” on SA/BA? Maybe on average grade “run books” but unlikely on keys. Not saying if you work the room hard, you might get lucky. Dealers pay a LOT for their booths and expenses are high. There will be a lot of “nose bleed” prices there. I do a lot of box diving at cons. The best deals usually come from there.

Most of all, just go and have fun with low expectations. 

I have nothing bad to say about NYCC, but simply based on the enormity of that event and some of the hopes you mentioned in your post, might I humbly suggest checking out the Big Apple Comic Con taking place in NY in December I believe. I don't think John Carpenter will be there but it's going to be more accessible AND there's a very good amount of dealers. 

I will try to answer some of your questions. First, you need to go to their website : NYCC Returns October 12-15, 2023 (newyorkcomiccon.com)

In order to get tickets you should become "verified" by NYCC. Once you are verified, you will receive an email on the day tickets go on sale to purchase them online.  It's all explained on the webpage. I'd advise buying your tickets the way NYCC wants you to, by going through their verification process. (You also have to remember to activate your badge.)

I'm pretty sure special guests charge whatever fee they want for autographs and photo ops. It's not uniform across all guests. 

There are dealers there who sell blowout sets of Broze, Copper and Modern titles. Silver not so much. That said, it's an expensive show for them, and if you have a fat stack of comics I'm sure most dealers would work with you on price. Books that are marked-up are the keys-du-jour, and some key books will still be offered at pandemic prices. Don't expect big deals on major keys, even if they're readily available, like IH 181. 

On 5/31/2023 at 4:46 PM, MisterX said:

I will try to answer some of your questions. First, you need to go to their website : NYCC Returns October 12-15, 2023 (newyorkcomiccon.com)

In order to get tickets you should become "verified" by NYCC. Once you are verified, you will receive an email on the day tickets go on sale to purchase them online.  It's all explained on the webpage. I'd advise buying your tickets the way NYCC wants you to, by going through their verification process. (You also have to remember to activate your badge.)

I'm pretty sure special guests charge whatever fee they want for autographs and photo ops. It's not uniform across all guests. 

There are dealers there who sell blowout sets of Broze, Copper and Modern titles. Silver not so much. That said, it's an expensive show for them, and if you have a fat stack of comics I'm sure most dealers would work with you on price. Books that are marked-up are the keys-du-jour, and some key books will still be offered at pandemic prices. Don't expect big deals on major keys, even if they're readily available, like IH 181. 

Thank you so much for the advice and I'm going to get "verified" this week. I'd like to experience this con as I've never been there before. 

On 5/31/2023 at 4:46 PM, MisterX said:

There are dealers there who sell blowout sets of Broze, Copper and Modern titles. Silver not so much.

Guessing this means, transitively, that there isn't much golden age to go around at NYCC? I was interested in going, it would be my first con, and I'm interested in GA books.

On 6/13/2023 at 2:58 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

Guessing this means, transitively, that there isn't much golden age to go around at NYCC? I was interested in going, it would be my first con, and I'm interested in GA books.

There are definitely golden age books there, however, you won't find a stack of them bundled up at a blowout price for a quick sale (like you would with bronze, copper or modern books).