• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ROM omnibus
1 1

22 posts in this topic

I was a huge fan of this series when it came out, and thought the stories were awesome. However, I was 13… I will buy one of these to see if they still stand up.

It was a fun book. I hope they title it ROMnibus but they won't.

Instead of dropping $125 sight unseen, probably better to dig up a few issues of the series on the cheap to see if you'll like it.

On 5/29/2023 at 4:08 AM, Brock said:

I was a huge fan of this series when it came out, and thought the stories were awesome. However, I was 13… I will buy one of these to see if they still stand up.

yes, that's always the problem. I liked it when I was 13....  I"ll probably pick one up, too

On 5/29/2023 at 7:33 PM, Ryan. said:

Has anyone mentioned that it should be called ROMnibus yet? No. Okay. They should have called the ROMnibus.

Yes, in the post right above yours

On 5/29/2023 at 9:54 AM, MAR1979 said:

Marvel should name the collection; "ROMnibus"

On 5/29/2023 at 12:30 AM, NoMan said:

Coming soon. Issues 1-29. Never read the series. Anybody here ever have. Any good. The omnibus is gonna be about 125$. Worth it?

instocktrades, talesofwonder, cheapgraphicnovels, any of those will be roughly 40 percent off cover price

Rom is one of the better series Marvel published during that time. In my opinion, it stands with Tomb of Dracula and Master of Kung Fu as one of the most consistently-good series from beginning to end. I have the full run collected in custom-bound hardcovers, but I will still be buying the omnibuses.

With the "Venomnibus" and "Marvel Zomnibus", there is precedent for Marvel giving some titles appropriate, yet stupid, names. Since this announcement simply refers to the book as Rom Omnibus Vol 1, we are likely stuck with that title. However, you know, and I know, and we all know, that this book will forever be a "Romnibus" in our hearts.

Also interesting, Rom is getting THREE different cover options, while I think MIcronauts is getting four??? It's getting pretty ridiculous. I was ok with the DM vs "regular" cover variant situation, but when they started adding a third cover, it seemed to be taking it a little far. FOUR covers? Really preying on the completists out there. 

Full disclosure: I bought all of the cover options for the Aliens omnis (2 each per four volumes), but that's because I'm a special boy.

On 5/29/2023 at 9:02 PM, MAR1979 said:
On 5/29/2023 at 7:33 PM, Ryan. said:

Has anyone mentioned that it should be called ROMnibus yet? No. Okay. They should have called the ROMnibus.

Yes, in the post right above yours

Someone else said it right above yours. :baiting:

I first read it in college and liked it well enough.  Last year I read 1--10 and liked it less.  I think the second half of the run was better than the first, but it wasn't a must read.   The Annual with Gladiator was pretty good.

On 5/30/2023 at 8:47 AM, F For Fake said:

Also interesting, Rom is getting THREE different cover options, while I think MIcronauts is getting four??? It's getting pretty ridiculous. I was ok with the DM vs "regular" cover variant situation, but when they started adding a third cover, it seemed to be taking it a little far. FOUR covers? Really preying on the completists out there. 

Full disclosure: I bought all of the cover options for the Aliens omnis (2 each per four volumes), but that's because I'm a special boy.

There is a Micronauts Omnibus? Wow, somebody sign some contracts...

On 5/30/2023 at 9:08 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Has anyone made the "Has anyone suggested they call it the Romnibus?" joke yet?

I don't believe so hm. Maybe some day we'll get around to it.

On 5/30/2023 at 11:47 AM, F For Fake said:

ROM has 4 too. Cover to issue 1 as the standard, along with title splash to issue 1 variant, cover to issue 17 with the X-Men, and a Perez cover variant of a illustration he did which I think is the weakest of the group. 

On 6/2/2023 at 6:43 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

ROM has 4 too. Cover to issue 1 as the standard, along with title splash to issue 1 variant, cover to issue 17 with the X-Men, and a Perez cover variant of a illustration he did which I think is the weakest of the group. 

You still have the title splash?  That's the version I'd get the omnibus in.  

On 6/2/2023 at 9:43 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

Thanks, I THOUGHT there were four, but when I posted I couldn’t find the fourth. The Perez cover is an interesting choice, as it really has no importance to the character other than “Hey, cool George drawing!” The guy who commissioned it from George is on the Masterworks forum, apparently he sold it a few years ago. Wild what Marvel will dig up for an unnecessary variant.