• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLink June 7 auction thread
4 4

93 posts in this topic

On 6/8/2023 at 1:18 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Perhaps it is time to pay closer attention to sub markets instead of referring to things like “low end” art or “high end” art. Viewed through prisms of different vintages, publishers, artists or subjects, were there any consistent threads? What about the independents or non-superhero art? Personally, I don’t care for most silver age art; too much of it is in relatively small static panels and as compared to the age of collectors, is getting kind of old. Other people revere it.

I agree it is a much more complex equation… just reacting to an over simplification that is trying to be pushed forward with contradictory data

On 6/8/2023 at 8:36 AM, Fischb1 said:

LOL KirbyCollector you keep advancing this same thought about the unsold pieces on CAF, then getting shut down for it, and then re-sharing the same thought on the next thread. A convention selling 10%+ of the listed art is AMAZING. Even if every single piece had been priced right, there is only so much a market could absorb with each convention. Have you ever been to an art convention before? Have you been to NJ Art Con where not even 2% of the art sells (but they are still amazingly successful!). C'mon man, let that one thought go.

I agree that we are in the midst of a softening (not the great crash that anyone predicted though, at least not yet), but evoking CAF shows the opposite! 

Man, I don't know.  The prices at CLink and Felix's recent drops don't seem to indicate much softening.  We have Heritage around the corner, so maybe that will be the litmus test.  It feels to me like we just had a sort of lame auction season due to fatigue and mediocre pieces last Heritage round.  I am very curious to see how HA pans out this next go-around, but I got blown out of the water last night on CLink and balked this morning on the Sanford/Felix drop only to be proven very wrong about the market prices on the pieces offered.

Edited by Xatari

On 6/8/2023 at 5:03 PM, Grendel72 said:

To be accurate it's the first issue with Death. Not the first appearance in that issue. Wonder what that would go for ? 

Do you mean the first page where she appears in issue #8? 

I personally count all pages in an issue as a first appearance since their publication date is the same.

I know some people use other monikers for first ever interiors but I look at an issue as a whole in most cases. 

Edited by Xatari

On 6/8/2023 at 5:18 PM, Xatari said:

I personally count all pages in an issue as a first appearance since their publication date is the same.

I know some people use other monikers for first ever interiors but I look at an issue as a whole in most cases. 

Did you win the Batman #489 cover? Or do you who did? I’d die happy if I had…and just  use the life insurance money to pay it off. 

On 6/8/2023 at 6:59 PM, John E. said:

Did you win the Batman #489 cover? Or do you who did? I’d die happy if I had…and just  use the life insurance money to pay it off. 

I didn’t win but know who did. I think it was the steal of the auction personally. 

On 6/9/2023 at 1:00 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Keown Hulk 369 cover sold for $50K, which seems like a healthy amount at first glance.  However it sold for $50.4K on HA last year.  Taking into account tax and shipping, seller took a minimum $7K loss

Nonetheless, given that last year was supposedly the peak of Pandemic prices, only $400 down (less than 1%) certainly doesn't indicate a crash is happening.

As for the consignor taking a loss because of fees, well, that's often going to happen if you try to flip a piece after only a year, especially if you bought it at a period of alleged peak prices.

Edited by tth2

On 6/8/2023 at 10:01 PM, Xatari said:

I didn’t win but know who did. I think it was the steal of the auction personally. 

It’s always a bit of a shock to see something from the 90s hit that 30K range without comps. The art for the cover before it—“1st” Azrael since Sword—sold twice in the 11k-14k range prior to the pandemic. Anyway, 489 has lots of room for growth. I wonder how much Graham Nolan’s flood of primo Vengeance of Bane pages may have an effect on the price?

On 6/9/2023 at 6:18 AM, Xatari said:

Im guessing that the first page that a character appears would cost more than the subsequent pages? The recent comiclink auction for the first appearance of Harley Quinn seems to support this. We always seem to wet our knickers saying this sketch or that prelim is the first ever drawing of a major character and when it comes up for auction, the prices reflect their significance. 

You're right, and I think both points of view are true.   They all get marketed as first appearance pages with a first appearance premium, but the character's first panel(s) in the story tend to get marketed as extra-super-special-ultra first appearances.

On 6/9/2023 at 3:56 AM, Grendel72 said:

Im guessing that the first page that a character appears would cost more than the subsequent pages? The recent comiclink auction for the first appearance of Harley Quinn seems to support this. We always seem to wet our knickers saying this sketch or that prelim is the first ever drawing of a major character and when it comes up for auction, the prices reflect their significance. 

A few quick points. 

1. Harley appears in a panel before the one that sold (albeit from behind).
  2. I would not always value the first ever page over a subsequent page from the same issue as often the art is better on a latter page. Case on point, this past year I was looking for a Spider-Punk page from ASM 10. His first page came up for sale but only has him in one very small panel. The second page to me is more desirable as it is much better artistically. I would have bought either but paid more for the second.
Edited by Xatari

So now we have reduced 1st apps to body parts other than the face. What is next?

"Sir, I seriously dispute your assertion THIS is the highly valued first appearance. Anyone who knows anything about first butt appearances knows the lower, more curvaceous bottom segment is MUCH more valuable than the boring top. Why, to consider the waist at all shows poor taste, and suggests an overabundance of Don Heck in your collection."

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 6/8/2023 at 11:34 PM, tth2 said:

Nonetheless, given that last year was supposedly the peak of Pandemic prices, only $400 down (less than 1%) certainly doesn't indicate a crash is happening.

As for the consignor taking a loss because of fees, well, that's often going to happen if you try to flip a piece after only a year, especially if you bought it at a period of alleged peak prices.

It was?  I must have missed that memo, especially when considering A-level covers from a major title, from a significant writer/artist run are supposed to go up, up, up...right?  This Hulk cover is very much an A-level cover, in addition to being Keown's first Hulk cover, yet instead of hammering at a higher price, it declined.  I stand by my statement that it underperformed.

On 6/9/2023 at 6:56 PM, Grendel72 said:

Im guessing that the first page that a character appears would cost more than the subsequent pages?

The first page on which a character appears is almost always going to be worth more than the subsequent pages in the same issue.

Maybe if the very first appearance is a small panel and there's a subsequent page that's a spectacular splash, then possibly the subsequent page might go for more, but even then most likely not.

On 6/9/2023 at 9:41 PM, Xatari said:

I would always value the first ever page over a subsequent page from the same issue as often the art is better on a latter page. Case on point, this past year I was looking for a Spider-Punk page from ASM 10. His first page came up for sale but only has him in one very small panel. The second page to me is more desirable as it is much better artistically. I would have bought either but paid more for the second.

I'm confused.

On 6/9/2023 at 7:27 AM, tth2 said:

I'm confused.

Rightfully so. I edited due to early morning, fat finger typing. 

“I would not always value the first page over a subsequent page”.