• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Advice-Setting up at a convention for the first time in August
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Hi,

Apologies if this is not the right section for a question like this, but I was hoping for some advice from you seasoned pros.

I'll be setting up at a mid-size convention in August as my first convention ever.

Spaces are 10x10 for $195 and you can get multiples for larger space if you want.

Here's what I have to sell:

Over 300 slabs, 17 short boxes of everything from dollar books to $100+ keys (mostly modern and copper/bronze with some silver and a splash of gold but nothing crazy in gold)

7 long boxes of full series runs.

In addition to comics I have a ton of anime merchandise (new), video games (new and used), CGC Card slabs, Anime and Comic T Shirts, Vintage Action Figures, Toys, etc.

Here is some of what I *think* I need to know, but its definitely one of those you don't know what you don't know situations.

1) Should I just stick to comics? The vendor list already has some booths that have some of the other items I have. Just not sure if a booth with a little bit of everything is better or if it should be focused.

2) I'm not looking to sell regularly at cons, but might do this convention annually if it goes well. With that in mind, what type of supplies for set up do you suggest?

3) I'm thinking of taking cash and PayPal but is some sort of credit card processing a must? (I don't have CashApp or zelle or any other payment systems.)

4) If I sell more than comics, I think I could easily fill 2 10x10's but I'm not sure that it's worth it. Especially since I will be on my own. I do have a friend who is probably going to set up beside me so that we can watch each other's booth for food/restroom/etc.

5) It's a 2 day convention (Sat & Sun). Do I need to be concerned about theft overnight, during set up/tear down, etc?

Any other tips, tricks, or important insight you all are willing to share would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

1. I would not bring the 7 longs of full comic series to the con unless u have a pre-sale set up.

2. Build your own wall rack for security and to max out your display of premium comics, slabs.

3. U have the option to sign up for Square or Helcim on your cell phone for cr card sales, as comics /toys are impulse purchases. Cosplayers don't usually have pockets to carry much cash so they just carry a cr card.

4. Would recommend paying a bit extra for a 10' x 10' booth at a corner location. This will increase your foot traffic in case u are set up next to a 30' tower of t-shirts, Funkos or movie posters.

5. Shoplifters all around so partner up with your buddy to watch each other's booth(s) esp. on the Saturday which is usually busier for retail sales than the Sunday. Good luck.

As other have said:

Sets are tough sells. Credit card readers are a must. Have everything priced. Make a display of some kind. Bring lots of $1s and $5s. Bring whatever you want/can; remember, it is the promotor's job to bring people to the con, but it is your job to have the things there that they want to buy. You may do terrible the first time out, but don't be discouraged. Slabs don't sell nearly as well at shows as they do online.

I would recommend NOT doing 2 booths the first time out. It's a lot of work setting up that much stuff. When I have 2 10x10s, I usually bring around 50 long boxes worth of stock.

I would recommend you not do a 2 day con as your first experience. Find a one day show if you can. 
Make the mistakes there not at a 2 day con. 

Get square for a card reader. Cash and paypal will all you need the rest are sketchier. 

Take your $1 books, some slabs and some priced books. Dont let anyone behind your booth. 
Seperate the boxes so buyers know where the $1 books end and priced ones begin or $5 books begin
and such. 

Be polite, courteous and engaging. Wear deodorant and pleasant appearance. Acknowledge buyers
when they come to your booth and then let them look. 

Get you a cart that you can bring in boxes on. Small ones are cheap and do like 6 boxes or so at a time.

On 6/11/2023 at 10:14 PM, MattTheDuck said:
On 6/11/2023 at 9:52 PM, Hockeyflow33 said:

if you have ebay prices I'll just buy on ebay.  

Shipping costs?

I always remind people buying at the show you are not paying shipping
and you have the book in hand. Its not going thru the post office. 

PayPal now has something called Zettle-- they have a reader you can get to go with it or you can just manually enter stuff in your smart phone.   The reader is a million times better than Square or any other processor I've used, it connects quickly and reads every card (although I'm sure it requires your phone to have good service).  I've used it at about a dozen shows-- and 90% of customers use a card and it's lightning fast.

On 6/17/2023 at 8:05 PM, AndyFish said:

PayPal now has something called Zettle-- they have a reader you can get to go with it or you can just manually enter stuff in your smart phone.   The reader is a million times better than Square or any other processor I've used, it connects quickly and reads every card (although I'm sure it requires your phone to have good service).  I've used it at about a dozen shows-- and 90% of customers use a card and it's lightning fast.

Tell me more. I use Square currently how are their fees? My reader works about 60% of the time the rest I have to manually enter. Its a phone issue I think
but I can definitely try a new reader. Do they give them away for trials?

On 6/17/2023 at 6:05 PM, AndyFish said:

@AndyFish  Andy, please PM me... Thanks!

Edited by Robot Man

On 6/18/2023 at 2:12 PM, fastballspecial said:

Tell me more. I use Square currently how are their fees?
but I can definitely try a new reader. Do they give them away for trials?

I use Square in Canada. Zettle UK website states lower fee rate than Square which is amazing. Retail sales funds seem to be transferred fast into one's PayPal account then u move funds over into your personal or business acct at your bank/cr union later. Will have to research more, as my PayPal usually has US funds transactions but my home bank acct is in Canada.

On 6/20/2023 at 2:32 PM, aardvark88 said:

I use Square in Canada. Zettle UK website states lower fee rate than Square which is amazing. Retail sales funds seem to be transferred fast into one's PayPal account then u move funds over into your personal or business acct at your bank/cr union later. Will have to research more, as my PayPal usually has US funds transactions but my home bank acct is in Canada.

Fees are reasonable, 2.29% plus $0.09 for in-person sales and 3.49% plus $0.09 for keyed-in sales, you definitely want a reader, I don't think they give them away but it was beyond worth it.  This was my fourth or fifth time with a card reader service and they were all terrible,  I would groan when someone would pull out a card-- not anymore-- I sound like a commercial but it's honestly that good.  Never had a connection issue.

I can't speak for Canada or overseas, I'm in the USA.

Payout is within 72 hours and I think it's even faster than that.  Love the service.

Edited by AndyFish

On 6/21/2023 at 7:13 AM, AndyFish said:

Fees are reasonable, 2.29% plus $0.09 for in-person sales and 3.49% plus $0.09 for keyed-in sales, you definitely want a reader, I can't speak for Canada or overseas, I'm in the USA.

Payout is within 72 hours and I think it's even faster than that.  Love the service.

Starting Sept. 21, 2023, Square for Canada in-person Interac debit fees will change to 0.75% plus 7c/transaction. In-person cr card fee is currently 2.65% plus 30c/transaction. USA fees usually less than in Canada due to higher volume. Pay out is usually in 48 hours. Can get faster pay out to one's Canadian bank account but there is a higher cr card fee.

Edited by aardvark88

Not a spokesman for Zettle by any means, but I'm open to discussions, I just want to emphasize that before I switched to it there were many times at shows I would actually groan because someone wanted to pay with a card-- at our last show in South Carolina, we had 90% paying with cards and the transactions were night and day over all the other services I used.  So fast I thought sometimes it can't have gone through.  To me, that's worth the money I'm paying them, and I live by the old proverb you get what you pay for.

Edited by AndyFish