• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book is touching the side of the inner well, Could this cause issues?
2 2

4 posts in this topic

Hi there! I recently got a book back from CGC reholdering and was super stocked, until I saw that 1. The book was mildly slanted in the slab and 2. Part of the book goes over the inner well while the other side has plenty of room to spare [also inner well is wobbly], want to know if this could cause damage, as I am concerned it could start to sorta rub on the side edge and cause splits and color rub, and if another reholder is in order for it just this time for both holder and inner well. It’s on the top right awhile the bottom has a little bit of room to spare and then the left side has plenty, it’s a DD168 so I’m very concerned about protecting it.B6911CFD-7C40-490F-9F72-2746FA58CC2A.thumb.jpeg.20eab7e835886d031efaa8f65cfbc2af.jpeg

this first image is the top right where it’s touching.EF558DD6-43AC-4CAD-A4B9-2F99A9557AD0.thumb.jpeg.9d22be4bebdb5503ecf5e1b39bbe461c.jpeg

next is bottom right, got a decent amount of room.

E7529E0B-F6A7-49BA-AF21-F198122E4E7E.thumb.jpeg.d077f5e46355bd2cf24a9a6c79ea678f.jpeg

little hard to see the end of the inner well but bottom left and upper left both have plenty of room.

if this won’t cause damage I’m fine with keeping the slab, just want to protect my books, still sorta new to CGC

64886011-674B-4E41-8C7C-A9B6EB8E4E90.jpeg

I de-slabbed a book just yesterday and it was TIGHT in the well. I’m no expert - but I think this is CGCs answer to Shaken Case Syndrome?

I have older slabs with much more room in them - so my guess is that they are trying to remove some of the slack? If your book is up against it on one side and not the other - perhaps it moved during the shipping process?

Edited by Dr. Balls