• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-Men 13
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Binder Holes are a major defect since they affect the entire book 2-3 times and possibly affect the story.

If binder holes are present on a higher grade book sent to CGC, that book would get a Green Qualified Label, if a Blue Universal Label is requested a book that is other wise a VF 8.0 or VF/NM 9.0 may drop as low as a GD 2.0/GD+ 2.5.

With your book already being of lower grade (nothing wrong with lower grade (Well Loved) books, I have many), it would be graded as it appears with all defects.

Binder Holes, Moderate edge wear with small tears/chipping, moderately blunted/rounded corners with color breaking creases, moderate spine stress, multiple cover length/vertical/color breaking creases, smaller creases/folds present by outer edge, discolored lower staple, minor to moderate dust shadow on rear cover, chipping/small tears on the edges of the rear cover.

If the binder holes were not present I would grade this book at a GD 2.0 - GD+ 2.5, IMO, the number of cover length creases would have prevented this book from reaching a GD/VG 3.0.

With the binder holes present, as the book sits now, IMO... FR/GD 1.5

My advice/opinion, Bag and Board them (Mylites/Acid Free Boards), store them properly and most of all...Read and Enjoy Them.

Here are pics of a JIM 41 and JIM 46 that I have with 3 binder holes and detached covers, without those defects the books would have graded at FN+ 6.5 and FN- 5.5, with the defects I graded both at a FR 1.0. (Mostly due to the detached covers)

Journey-Into-Mystery-41-FR1-0.jpg

Journey-Into-Mystery-41-FN-6-5-EXCEPT.jp

Journey-Into-Mystery-46-FR1-0.jpg

Journey-Into-Mystery-46-FN-5-5-EXCEPT.jp

On 6/9/2023 at 11:50 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Fair/good. Low grade books like this are to be handled and read. Colours are excellent on this book!

Thank you! Yes, agreed, but I (and I hope this is ok to say on this board) feel that way in general.  I feel like right now the only books I would slab would have to be above 9.4 or below 2.0 (in one case bc I fear it could lose grade in my care, in the other bc I fear it might fall apart).

By letter of CGC law, binder holes range from 3.0-5.0. These holes are not clean, so at minimum my starting point would be the lowest end of the range. I know this is controversial, but I believe CGC would come in higher than the predicted grades above. The 2.0/2.5 guess for without binding holes made by @marvelmaniac is a good assessment of the heavy creasing & the CGC guidelines would say binder holes don't impact the grade significantly if the book already grades below 3.0. Of course, CGC isn't the only set of grading standards & other guidelines would come in lower. I wouldn't grade this book either except to test of how closely CGC adheres to their published standards. My copy of this book doesn't have holes, but is quite dark from tanning. At least from about 1.5" from the spine & right, this book looks much nicer!