• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Punisher art and Marvel's actions
3 3

86 posts in this topic

On 6/12/2023 at 8:25 AM, artdisease said:

I'm the buyer of the Punisher piece. I was absolutely thrilled to win it for what I did. Well below my max bid. It makes me think "what if Frank Castle moved to Basin City?" I wasn't aware of the size until after the lot closed, so that was a nice surprise. Needless to say I'm not selling this one, so you won't see it on the attempted flip thread.

Thee angels! They heard me!

Congratulations!

On 6/12/2023 at 10:42 AM, John E. said:

Thee angels! They heard me!

Congratulations!

Thanks! I won two lots out of the three I was really wanting, for what i feel were fantastic prices. The other being the Campbell Darth Vader cover. I think I'm done for the year, though.

On 6/13/2023 at 10:42 AM, stinkininkin said:

I'll always be a Punisher fan because it was really my first big break in comics. He was an A list character when Whilce Portacio and I took over the regular Punisher series with issue 8. That run helped my professional career immensely and I will always be grateful. And he is very cool and nuanced character (in the proper creative hands). Kept some nice art pages, but only one cover from that run...

punisher13cover.jpg

Did you ever get penciled pages in the mail, read the dialogue and think, "What the hell am I about to put my name too?" Conversely, was there any writer you wanted to work with more but they never got a chance to do a longer run on the book you were assigned at the time?

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 6/13/2023 at 9:42 AM, stinkininkin said:

I'll always be a Punisher fan because it was really my first big break in comics. He was an A list character when Whilce Portacio and I took over the regular Punisher series with issue 8. That run helped my professional career immensely and I will always be grateful. And he is very cool and nuanced character (in the proper creative hands). Kept some nice art pages, but only one cover from that run...

punisher13cover.jpg

I wanted to tag you, Scott, for your opinion on the matter but that was before the Moderator Mike stepped in. I appreciate this perspective nonetheless. A Portacio/Williams Punisher piece has eluded me.* When I flip through my copy of Essential Punisher vol 2, I can see the progress you make as an inker. I think that must’ve been a fun book to work on then. 

*I also have my Bought-off-the-rack copy of Batman: Black and White from ‘96 signed by every living creator who worked on the book except for you :( One day maybe. 

Here are a few movies I'd love to see. With the success of films like Sin City, and recent Spider-Man animation films, they should make.

1. The Mike Zeck 5 part mini series faithfully aligned panel for panel, frame for frame...... with the best animators. The original art and writing team as collaborators, consultants. I'd love that. Would it be R rated?

2. Not Punisher related, but I've always believed that adapting Mike Mignola art to the big screen would make for award winning work. Hellboy? hell yes.

However, it's been a dream of mine to see Mignola's Triumph and Torment storyline be adapted to the big screen. I don't think it would come off with actors. I think it would be stunning with animators. Mike Mignola, and his inker, and the writer all as consultants again. (Badger and Stern?) I don't know if it would be a box office smash. But a dark film with Dr. Strange, Dr. Doom and Mephisto, animated beautifully, would win awards and prestige. Am I nuts? Yes. Don't answer that. 

ps. Absolutely agree with Scott about Whilce Punisher. Top notch.

On 6/13/2023 at 7:42 AM, stinkininkin said:

punisher13cover.jpg

Scott, you're one of my favorite artists. I have one piece you inked I will never let go. I love your contributions to our chat. They are sometimes passionate, but always measured and thoughtful.

Me knowing you still have this cover makes me unusually giddy. I know it's crazy what we've done as collectors. Our neurosis, desire, passion, ego, nostalgia, madness and more have contributed to obscene financial valuations on this stuff.

John Romita Sr. said he never could've imagined these pieces would become so valuable. Even with my late start as an art collector, 1996, I figured out that one day this stuff would reach near unobtainable price points. It was a gut feeling.

What am I saying? I'm saying I'm glad you still have a few great pieces made of your own blood, sweat and maybe a few tears? I can never repay the debt I owe the comic and fantasy artists that have captured my imagination since childhood. Thank you.

On 6/13/2023 at 12:09 PM, grapeape said:

Scott, you're one of my favorite artists. I have one piece you inked I will never let go. I love your contributions to our chat. They are sometimes passionate, but always measured and thoughtful.

Me knowing you still have this cover makes me unusually giddy. I know it's crazy what we've done as collectors. Our neurosis, desire, passion, ego, nostalgia, madness and more have contributed to obscene financial valuations on this stuff.

John Romita Sr. said he never could've imagined these pieces would become so valuable. Even with my late start as an art collector, 1996, I figured out that one day this stuff would reach near unobtainable price points. It was a gut feeling.

What am I saying? I'm saying I'm glad you still have a few great pieces made of your own blood, sweat and maybe a few tears? I can never repay the debt I owe the comic and fantasy artists that have captured my imagination since childhood. Thank you.

Thanks so much for the kind words Mr. Ape! I love comics, and comics have been very good to me. If some of that comes through in the work, or my enthusiastic support for our little hobby, that's all I can ask.

On 6/13/2023 at 9:53 AM, John E. said:

I wanted to tag you, Scott, for your opinion on the matter but that was before the Moderator Mike stepped in. I appreciate this perspective nonetheless. A Portacio/Williams Punisher piece has eluded me.* When I flip through my copy of Essential Punisher vol 2, I can see the progress you make as an inker. I think that must’ve been a fun book to work on then. 

*I also have my Bought-off-the-rack copy of Batman: Black and White from ‘96 signed by every living creator who worked on the book except for you :( One day maybe. 

Would be happy to sign your book any time. Hopefully our paths will cross at a convention some day!

On 6/15/2023 at 6:05 PM, Panelfan1 said:

Who really wants comics to be like Shakespeare?  The Zeck run maybe among the best, but this one is amongst the most unexpected.

archie-meets-the-punisher-covers.jpg

Another check-less box on the checklist :(

I believe Marvel & Archie Comics kept this project a secret until its publication day. Their marketing strategy was to sucker-punch us like the simps we were.

On 6/15/2023 at 7:05 PM, Panelfan1 said:

Who really wants comics to be like Shakespeare?  The Zeck run maybe among the best, but this one is amongst the most unexpected.

archie-meets-the-punisher-covers.jpg

Amazing to think Marvel did this,  when the character was once the guy in this classic... a hidden gem full of brutal justice. Was the 1st Punisher story I ever read after ASM 129...image.png.c17a6387b9a5407cf2fb745c7099eeb2.png

Edited by KirbyCollector

For those that did not read the book, Marvel did not kill the Punisher.  

Spoiler

booked ended with Frank not dead but sent to Weird World, and is protecting a group of kids, while his resurrected wife is pregnant with his new baby.

They left it wide open for more Frank. 🤷‍♂️

Long live the Punisher. 💀 

IMG_7504.thumb.jpeg.dde5be47cf4a93c5c4ffc68bebc3e412.jpeg

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1731584

On 6/16/2023 at 6:46 PM, cbaileypacker said:

Hide contents

booked ended with Frank not dead but sent to Weird World, and is protecting a group of kids, while his resurrected wife is pregnant with his new baby.

Didn't I tell you all Frank Castle/Punisher would never die?

💀 😆 

On 6/16/2023 at 9:46 PM, cbaileypacker said:

I would say the original character we all knew is well and truly dead, yes. You forgot to add his wife was resurrected as a plot device to condemn Frank for all of the violence he did in her name (!). Marvel wanted to not only divorce the character from his origin, but destroy it completely. The irony is the same set of circumstances (a rise in violent crime in the US) which led Marvel to create the Punisher in the 70s are here once again, a perfect setting for the character... yet Marvel has turned him into some joke long form story which makes no sense at all. Weird World, indeed.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 6/16/2023 at 9:46 PM, cbaileypacker said:

Reveal hidden contents

One less awful ski jacket on the streets. Keeping the slopes safe, Frank!