• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HERO RESTORATION - BOOKS NOT BEING RETURNED
20 20

961 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2023 at 3:59 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Since he's trying to gain $160,000, he needs to be releasing INDEPENDENTLY-AUDITED finances.  Where are those OP?  I assume you also uploaded your FORM C into EDGAR?  FINRA will also want a word with OP. Jeebus this thread just keeps going from bad to worse.

Looks like he shut down the Go Fund Me.

It now says......"This fundraiser is no longer accepting donations. If you are the organizer, beneficiary, team member, or donor, sign in to see additional information."

On 6/25/2023 at 10:23 PM, Steven Valdez said:

What kind of business takes a full fee upfront anyway? When I put my car in for a service, I only pay when the work's completed. Likewise for medical, dental, plumbing, electrical etc etc.

This guy had nothing to lose by waiting for payment until completion of service. The worst that could happen is he'd end up with free mega-valuable books if an owner defaulted on payment -- not that anybody would, considering the books involved.

CGC?

On 6/25/2023 at 7:09 PM, ak47po said:

Starts at 7:30

I watched it yesterday and thought it was good. I wish they would have emphasized many years instead of months. Months is understandable and to be expected, 5 years not so much.

On 6/25/2023 at 12:57 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Saw that @Artboy99 posted this video in a different thread in here.

I went to YouTube to look at the comment section for it.....and spotted this one.....along with a reply from the guy who posted the video.

Reply.thumb.jpg.e0b46c43052322cbb9194ff1367af516.jpg

Thats a brutal summation of resto removal services offered from CGC.

Resto removal, and reslabbing will cost you 8% of FMV, or 5% without grading.

And don't expect the slightest bit of communication throughout the process, you get what you get.

On 6/25/2023 at 7:50 PM, Microchip said:

And don't expect the slightest bit of communication throughout the process, you get what you get

I’m starting to think communication is the weak link in a lot of comic related companies/services.

On 6/26/2023 at 9:52 AM, CAHokie said:

I’m starting to think communication is the weak link in a lot of comic related companies/services.

Bry in the video said the same.  Communication was key to the whole process, and result, and no one is doing it well.

On 6/25/2023 at 2:21 PM, manetteska said:

As for CGC charging up-front: don't they have your CC information but don't charge until it's shipped? At least for grading; I have never done CCS.

If your submission is to be pressed then graded, you will be charged by CCS for pressing when it hits your dashboard. Then it's pressed. 

When it leaves CCS and goes to CGC for grading, it again hits your credit card for that service.  So, no, they don't wait until they ship.

If the sub doesn't need pressing, you are charged by CGC as soon as they open the box, go through the intake process, and load it onto your dashboard.  Sometimes there is a little lag, but not much these days.

The only time they charged near the end of the process was when they were swamped, because the TATs were horrendous.

Edited by Lightning55

On 6/25/2023 at 7:56 PM, Microchip said:

Bry in the video said the same.  Communication was key to the whole process, and result, and no one is doing it well.

Which is ridiculous with basic current technology.

Automated status emails don't require a giant staff or expensive software. 

I can see when my pizza is being made and watch the delivery status in near real-time from my 13 year old smart phone.

-bc

On 6/25/2023 at 8:21 PM, ak47po said:

7 months ago.

While this guys seems to be a real comic fan, what a bad business model even back then.

Guarantee a restored book getting a 7.0 by CGC (which we all know that grading is subjective). And then not being sure what grade the book will get post work? I wish he wasn't surprised by the assigned grade, most of us could have guessed within a point or less judging from the PGM thread.

"I was gonna do more work at no charge to get above a 7.0

"We usually put in more time than we charge"

Umm, I run my own business and this is usually not a solid cash flow plan.

-bc

Edited by bc