• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signed artwork?

9 posts in this topic

I personally like the signature outside the comic page area if there is one. I hate seeing all those John Byrne pages where he signs them right inside the pages. It's probably a personal thing though.

On that note, I don't actively pay more for a page if it's signed or not.

Is signed artwork more or less desirable?

If the signature was there from the beginning (e.g. a signed cover or splash page 1), then that makes it desirable in my book.

If it was added later on (perhaps at a convention), I'm not against the idea - providing the signature is discreetly done (ideally outside of the image area).

My CAF Galleries at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

I dont think it makes any difference.

Since its a one of a kind item having it signed still leaves it one of a kind

Right. The page is what it is regardless of the signature. I have a few signed pages, but none of the signatures were gotten by me. I don't mind generic signatures, but personalized I think is akin to vandalism. All of the art I have in my house is "mine", but I'm just the caretaker of this bit of history. This art will be here long after I am gone. Writing MY NAME on it is just selfish

Hey, Chris, thanks for selling me the page Christo_pull_hair.gif

htz8zs.jpg

Yeah, I was just going to post mentioning the personalizing of OA. It makes it slightly less desirable, but I would still never turn down a page personalized to someone else. After all, the OA is one of a kind! wink.gif Kind of disappointing to look at a page of art that you own and see someone elses name right on the front though. And as for framing a piece like that with the other persons name visible? Probably not in my house! Why didn't "Chris" just have that personalized on the BACK!

Also, I find it kind of disappointing that someone cared enough about the page at one time to have it personalized to them, but then let it go. I guess those things happen for one reason or another, but still.

To answer the original question, I find artwork signed by the writer or artists more desirable but I wouldn't pay extra for it. It's just a nice bonus!

J

Yeah, I like to have my artwork signed (the more, the merrier)...but I don't have them personalized. The only pieces that are ever personalized are con sketches, and this usually happens more at the artists' request than mine. It irks me when collectors deface important pieces by having it personalized. I remember seeing the TPB art by Romita for Spidey's wedding...and it was personalized in such a way that it couldn't be cropped or ignored. This just seems selfish to me.

One thing I dislike about some artists who sign their work . . . some time after they originally illustrated the page . . . is a 'scruffy' signature. That is, the artwork's meticulously done, having taken many hours of careful rendering - then, ZAP!, a scrawl, haphazardly strewn across the page! foreheadslap.gif

I think a lot of times the personalization is done before the collector has time to stop the artist. I don't mind personalization on my con sketches but on my published pieces and commissions I don't like them one bit. Yet, I have several pieces personalized to me due to the artist doing it before I had a say in it. foreheadslap.gif