• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All American comics #21 in CGC 9.6 on EBay. Opinions on book & price
1 1

32 posts in this topic

On 6/18/2023 at 4:05 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

When I see non pedigree 9.6 golden age books and above, it always makes me wonder what the ratio of golden age books in 9.6-9.8 is that come from a pedigree and those that don’t. I’d think the pedigree list would be bigger just based off the Mile High and Promise books alone, but maybe not 🤷.

When I see non pedigrees like that I wonder where the heck it was all those years that it survived like that, and did it have company. Were there others like it. A book like that you would think was stored not only in consistent temperature and humidity conditions but probably in a folder or larger book or some sort of item that covered and protected it and maybe kept it flat. Even stored in a box for 80 years probably wouldn't keep it that pristine in most climates.

On 6/19/2023 at 9:27 PM, Professor K said:

When I see non pedigrees like that I wonder where the heck it was all those years that it survived like that, and did it have company. Were there others like it. A book like that you would think was stored not only in consistent temperature and humidity conditions but probably in a folder or larger book or some sort of item that covered and protected it and maybe kept it flat. Even stored in a box for 80 years probably wouldn't keep it that pristine in most climates.

There's a collection coming to auction on Heritage in September. Girl found hundreds of high grade golden age books in her grandfather's feedstore. It's an unbelievable story. So no one knew about these books sitting there for 80 years, and they grade in the 8s and 9s?

On 6/19/2023 at 10:16 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

There's a collection coming to auction on Heritage in September. Girl found hundreds of high grade golden age books in her grandfather's feedstore. It's an unbelievable story. So no one knew about these books sitting there for 80 years, and they grade in the 8s and 9s?

All that feed probably sucked up the humidity :bigsmile:. Thanks I'll check that out. 

On 6/18/2023 at 9:31 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

I've wanted an "overrated GA covers" thread for a while now just so I can smear acclaimed covers like Hit Comics #5 and Blue Bolt #111

EDIT: now that I think of it, there's a worse LB Cole cover, and it's Thrilling Crime Cases #49 with the half-asleep woman in the center

Worse yet, and more overhyped — Venus 19 and Chamber of Chills 23 :sick:

On 6/20/2023 at 10:16 AM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

So no one knew about these books sitting there for 80 years, and they grade in the 8s and 9s?

The most critical thing to preserving a book's condition is to remain untouched/unmoved in a dark place that is relatively cool and dry without lots of fluctuations in temperature and humidity.  Bagging and boarding books is overrated, as most of the great pedigrees were never bagged and boarded until they were discovered.  The common thread for most of the great pedigrees is that they were barely read and then put away and never touched again for decades.

On 6/19/2023 at 10:16 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

what is known about the contents of the collection?  

On 6/18/2023 at 6:49 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Some large, unread collections that would be considered pedigree collections today were broken up and sold before the concept of a "pedigree" existed. 

This is very true, as well as there being books from known pedigrees floating around that aren't identified as such due to them not having specific markings associated with that pedigree. For example, from all of my research, it would appear that right around mid 1943, the San Francisco pedigree comics no longer have the "Tom Riley" ink stamp on the back cover (there may be a few stragglers that do, but it seems to largely disappear around that time). Also, the penciled arrival date with cursive "Gilboy" G on the front cover, give way to a generic ink stamped arrival date around the same time. I believe that there are comics from that collection circulating that just don't have any markings to identify them as such. Other collections that were never established as a pedigree (such as the Chicorel collection, which yielded a Marvel Mystery #9 in 9.4!!!), were sold off in two or three batches, the first one or two of which being sold before the idea of a "pedigree" was a widely accepted concept. The comic posted below is being shared as an example of a book that's not considered a pedigree due to circumstance. I don't own the book. Trust me, if I did, you'd already know it!  :roflmao:

Chicorel Marvel 9.jpg

On 6/20/2023 at 12:02 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

I'm surprised news about this hasn't already made its way to the boards, but that will likely come closer to the September auction. The consigner (the original owner's granddaughter) has been giving updates on Reddit, and some scans of the 800+ comics have already been uploaded to HA. I, and likely others, have asked to privately buy one or two books, but she seemed intent on sending all of them to Heritage.

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?No=0&N=52+792+4294940145+4294966889

38kmc4k8t3ga1.thumb.webp.1996c18f2f8371a8340e20f7fed00396.webp

tcakjzu6usja1.webp.b7d15f5cbf86c2eddc935b17a09c74e0.webp

fn4nvhirszia1.thumb.webp.0da1a6eb04d52790cc575e21ae61995d.webp

hmjet3o9shha1.thumb.jpg.77c691a2511fbbde869e0c74d6a7062a.jpg

There will be a lot of offerings for the deep-pocketed! I'm priced out of any of the good content

Thanks for posting.  Very interesting, looks like it comes from the same general time period as the Promise collection.