• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All American comics #21 in CGC 9.6 on EBay. Opinions on book & price
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Being one of the larger portraits of GL on those early All-American's, it falls near the top of the list for me.  Love the line work, but something about his lipstick and expression bother me a bit.  I put the covers of 16, 18, 20 and 23 above 21 for the Moldoff covers.

9.6 golden age....  amazing.

On 6/18/2023 at 11:12 AM, Yorick said:

Being one of the larger portraits of GL on those early All-American's, it falls near the top of the list for me.  Love the line work, but something about his lipstick and expression bother me a bit.  I put the covers of 16, 18, 20 and 23 above 21 for the Moldoff covers.

9.6 golden age....  amazing.

When I see non pedigree 9.6 golden age books and above, it always makes me wonder what the ratio of golden age books in 9.6-9.8 is that come from a pedigree and those that don’t. I’d think the pedigree list would be bigger just based off the Mile High and Promise books alone, but maybe not 🤷.

On 6/18/2023 at 4:05 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

When I see non pedigree 9.6 golden age books and above, it always makes me wonder what the ratio of golden age books in 9.6-9.8 is that come from a pedigree and those that don’t. I’d think the pedigree list would be bigger just based off the Mile High and Promise books alone, but maybe not 🤷.

Some large, unread collections that would be considered pedigree collections today were broken up and sold before the concept of a "pedigree" existed. (I've always thought it looked like The Green Lantern was wearing lipstick on that cover.)

On 6/18/2023 at 4:49 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Some large, unread collections that would be considered pedigree collections today were broken up and sold before the concept of a "pedigree" existed. (I've always thought it looked like The Green Lantern was wearing lipstick on that cover.)

Not much of a Green Lantern guy but didn't DC make him come out as gay?

On 6/18/2023 at 9:18 PM, szav said:

Hah I never really noticed, won't see this one the same now ...I guess I should try to find the lipstickless OA instead of a copy of the comic, because it's otherwise great I think ...maybe it's a good thing I didn't find a copy yet.

We should start a thread for "glaring problems with comic covers that you didn't notice till after you bought a copy."

I've wanted an "overrated GA covers" thread for a while now just so I can smear acclaimed covers like Hit Comics #5 and Blue Bolt #111

EDIT: now that I think of it, there's a worse LB Cole cover, and it's Thrilling Crime Cases #49 with the half-asleep woman in the center

Edited by L'Angelo Misterioso

On 6/19/2023 at 9:31 AM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

I've wanted an "overrated GA covers" thread for a while now just so I can smear acclaimed covers like Hit Comics #5 and Blue Bolt #111

EDIT: now that I think of it, there's a worse LB Cole cover, and it's Thrilling Crime Cases #49 with the half-asleep woman in the center

I would basically turn it into a Schomburg gallery.

On 6/18/2023 at 11:34 PM, tth2 said:

He is my favorite artist from the GA. And even I will say that that man made a lot of carp and all of his airbrush covers look way too kitschy

Edited by L'Angelo Misterioso

On 6/18/2023 at 10:34 PM, tth2 said:

One of my absolute favorites among GA artists. In fairness, Schomburg is rated just about right all things considered ...which is quite highly overall... but he's definitely guilty of being prolific. 

I'm sure we could all list DA artists we judge as overrated based on our opinions. Worst artist threads have a tendency to digress into collector's personal tastes especially when individual issues are singled out.

Safer ground is probably an artist like Gill Fox. I've only seen one Gill Fox costumed action character cover that I like (there may be a couple of others, but I can count 'em on one hand). Gill's work is generally too one dimensional and campy for my taste. However, Fox's work isn't rated especially high on the rungs of the GA stepladder ...except for some of his later GGA... so controversy is unlikely.

Conversely, Lou Fine's work is highly revered, one of the top tier of respected GA comic artists; while I love most of his covers there are definitely a few clunkers, IMO (misses, even among the HITs). LB Cole is another hit and miss artist, but it's only because his style combined with primary color use occasionally annoys me. Jack Cole is another artist who's work I love in spite of it's cartoonier aspects. While some of the latter Cole's covers are a bit simplistic they're always well rendered.

Getting back to the original topic and AA #21, art discussions could be extended to House styles as editors and art directors were involved in contracting the work and signing off on the end result. DC's editorial choices are often head scratchers and the tendency to go from action to cheesy humor never ceases to amaze.

Sorry 'bout the length of this; my fingers got carried away. :cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

On 6/19/2023 at 1:46 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

One of my absolute favorites among GA artists. In fairness, Schomburg is rated just about right all things considered ...which is quite highly overall... but he's definitely guilty of being prolific. 

I'm sure we could all list DA artists we judge as overrated based on our opinions. Worst artist threads have a tendency to digress into collector's personal tastes especially when individual issues are singled out.

Safer ground is probably an artist like Gill Fox. I've only seen one Gill Fox costumed action character cover that I like (there may be a couple of others, but I can count 'em on one hand). Gill's work is generally too one dimensional and campy for my taste. However, Fox's work isn't rated especially high on the rungs of the GA stepladder ...except for some of his later GGA... so controversy is unlikely.

Conversely, Lou Fine's work is highly revered, one of the top tier of respected GA comic artists; while I love most of his covers there are definitely a few clunkers, IMO (misses, even among the HITs). LB Cole is another hit and miss artist, but it's only because his style combined with on primary color use occasionally annoys me. Jack Cole is another artist who's work I love in spite of it's cartoonier aspects. While some of the latter Cole's covers are a bit simplistic they're always well rendered.

Getting back to the original topic and AA #21, art discussions could be extended to House styles as editors and art directors were involved in contracting the work and signing off on the end result. DC's editorial choices are often head scratchers and the tendency to go from action to cheesy humor never ceases to amaze.

Sorry 'bout the length of this; my fingers got carried away. :cheers:

Schomburg is one of my favorite artists as well based mainly on his work for Timely. Some of his later MM covers look a little too much like each other, but each one is very good taken individually. In general, I tend to prefer his earlier Timely covers, but there are some later ones that I like quite a bit, like MM46. (I can forgive him for the Young Allies run.)

When it comes to his work on Wonder and his work on the various Standard/Better/Nedor titles, though, I'm not as impressed. With the post WWII covers in particular, it seems like he was "mailing it in" for whatever reason (maybe those commissions paid less or maybe the editors weren't as demanding . . . who knows). His airbrush covers are starting to grow on me, but the characters look a bit stiff at times. 

On 6/19/2023 at 11:07 AM, Terry JSA said:

This is probably my favorite AA cover, besides #61. But also, here’s a little fun fact. If you look closely, you can see that his ring is on the right hand instead of the left.

I’d say the hammer price will be around $25k.

They are asking 45k

On 6/19/2023 at 12:26 PM, action1kid said:

Which book would you pick ? The Larson or non pedigree. Both being 7k

IMG_6768.png

I really enjoy the cover of that Jumbo.  What an artistic combo!  Just unfortunate that there's no super-hero on the cover.  Maybe after a new Pirates of the Caribbean movie, you'll see a spike for Jumbo?

Both being equal, I'd probably still go for the All American.  Great colors, big hero image, tommy gun, the green flames....  $7k seems high, but I've been losing all my bids.  (shrug)

On 6/19/2023 at 1:06 PM, action1kid said:

Thanks for the comment. I thought the same thing on the Jumbo. It has the Larson Pedigree approval however.

It also has restoration (I recall).  Or do we call that de-restoration?  Re-Restored?  CGC'd?