• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point Five's 4th Annual Grading Contest: ROUND 1 RESULTS
1 1

12 posts in this topic

An ultra-cool slate of books to get this contest off to a great start!  (worship)  Here are the key measures of central tendency for Round 1 (Mean = the average grade; Median = the middle grade in a numerically rank-ordered list; Mode = the most common grade):

Book CGC Grade Distribution Statistics
# Grade Mean Median Mode
1 1.5 2.5 2.0 1.8
2 8.0 8.2 8.0 8.0
3 2.0 2.2 2.0 2.0

Here are a few notable observations based on the data reported above:

• Book #1 (Action #33):  The most challenging book for the Board as a whole, with only 15% of the contestants at the same grade as CGC and only 44% within one grade increment of CGC.  Collectively, the Board was three grade increments more lenient than CGC (2.5 vs 1.5).  :whatthe:
  • Book #2 (ASM #300):  A relatively easy book for the Board as a whole, with 24% of the contestants at the same grade as CGC and 62% within one grade increment of CGC.  Collectively, the Board was almost one-half grade increment more lenient than CGC (8.2 vs 8.0).  (thumbsu
  • Book #3 (Black Cat #50):  The easiest book for the Board as a whole, with 35% of the contestants at the same grade as CGC and 68% within one grade increment of CGC.  Collectively, the Board was almost one-half grade increment more lenient than CGC (2.2 vs 2.0).  (thumbsu

Many thanks for the opportunity, Jon.  :foryou:  :foryou:

From my experience with CGC grading contents, CGC always soften GA books.  I thought about 1.5 on AC 33 but I had a second thought about CGC's intention so I put 2.5 instead.   I wished I listened to my guts instead CGC's intention but I will do better on next round.