• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Spider-Man #1 Gold UPC Variant
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I have stored this comic and almost 1,000 others at my parents for about 30 years and just now learning about grading. I was curious what opinion others have if graded and is it worth it? I know this variant is one of quite a few which I own one other variant, but it would be one the more plain. I'll probably create other posts for some of the older ones that I have such as Nova and Captain Marvel. 

https://www.pricecharting.com/my-collection

IMG_5276.JPEG

IMG_5274.JPEG

IMG_5275.JPEG

Edited by Linuxidiot

Welcome To The Boards!!!

That appears to be a Gold, 2nd print, newsstand edition which supposedly had a low print run.

To get a proper estimate of grade the pics should be made with the book out of the bag with clear pics of the front/rear cover, staples/spine, inside front and rear covers and centerfold.

Yeah, you definitely have to take it out of the bag to get a fair estimate of the grade. That said, in high grades (which this appears to be) this one regularly sells for $500+ and is uncommon enough (less than 500 blue labels, which is very low for this era) that there is sure to be a high demand for it. IMO, very much worth grading. Even in mid grades it still retains some value.

I think it's out of the bag too, but it always throws me for a loop when books are photographed on top of the bag & board. The ideal background is a white or black solid surface with at least an inch or so of the background showing on ever edge. Best guess here is >9.2. I don't see any defects, but something can always be hiding. It's worth grading even though there are so many editions of this book that collectively there are a lot of graded copies. Even this rarer one has nearly 1K copies graded on the census. If you hold off, TM might do another in-house signing.