• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for a noob regarding TMNT #1
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Howdy folks,

I've got a copy of the first print of Mirage Studios' TMNT #1 and am thinking about getting it slabbed - but I'm a numbskull and thus have some stupid questions.

Since it's potentially a high value book - I think I have to become a member at the Elite level - is this right?

Regarding fees, for an Unlimited Value magazine, grading would be a 4% of market value fee... how is the value determined? An 8.5 sold on Heritage for 18k in January... so if my copy was an 8.5, would the grading fee be $720?

Looking at Pressing fees, if I got it pressed, would that be an additional 4%, for a total of $1,440.00?

Altho if I was an Elite member, I'd get 10% off - so I think it would be $1296 (if I'm doing any of this math right... which is a longshot).

If by some miracle the book gets a 9.6 or 9.8, I'm concerned about the fees being more than I can afford to pay up front.

I'm also wondering about the Drop-off service. I'm worried the book could get lost or damaged during shipping. Does anyone have experience with Drop-off and how long it's currently taking? I could only spare 3-4 days away from work. A problem with this is there would be no way to get it pressed since that takes longer than I would be able to be there.

Alrighty, I can't think of any more stupid questions. Thanks for reading and for any insights.

Edited by tmnt-dan

Thanks - it's in a safety deposit box, so I don't have it on hand to photograph.

I was just using the 8.5 as an example to see if I have the fees sorted out correctly (since they would get very high if the book actually got a 9.8 grade), and if anyone has done the drop-off service and how that went.

Edited by tmnt-dan

Why are you looking to entomb your book? Are you looking to sell it? Do you want verification of grade, completeness, etc?

I have thought of getting some of my books slabbed (for the purpose of sale) but have decided against it. There's a thread about quality control at CGC. Take a look at that. I do not know the rate of incidents, but I don't have the stomach to pay a company that can not deliver what they claim to provide. I would be livid if I had to go through what some of those people in the QC thread have gone through. I do not have any high-value books, but I would be incredibly hesitant to send them to CGC if I did.

On 6/20/2023 at 7:47 PM, tmnt-dan said:

Since it's potentially a high value book - I think I have to become a member at the Elite level - is this right?

Nope. Only the submission tier matters when submitting books. Choose whichever membership tier suits you best. The Premium includes a grading credit, and the Elite offers a 10% discount on grading in addition to the grading credit.

On 6/21/2023 at 6:33 AM, jas1vans said:

Why are you looking to entomb your book? Are you looking to sell it?

Yeah - planning to sell it. I know I missed the bubble, but I'm afraid it's going to keep dropping in price.

It's definitely a conundrum - but to get the best price, it has to be slabbed.

On 6/21/2023 at 8:15 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Nope. Only the submission tier matters when submitting books. Choose whichever membership tier suits you best. The Premium includes a grading credit, and the Elite offers a 10% discount on grading in addition to the grading credit.

Ah, cool - thank you for the clarification. Now I get it. :)

On 6/21/2023 at 8:27 AM, Low Dollah said:

If you're talking about dropping it off at CGC HQ, only Authorized Dealers are allowed to do that afaik.

Yup - was thinking of going to Sarasota to expedite the process... but that's off the table cuz I'm not a retailer.

Thanks for the info!