• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Deaths" should stop being considered a key issue...
3 3

56 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2023 at 6:29 PM, ganni said:

The Death of Jor-El and Lara-Van  will always be a key issue.

The Death of Thomas Wayne and Martha Wayne.

The Death of Uncle Ben.

These key issues will always be key issues.:popcorn:

Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27 and Amazing Fantasy #15 will always be key issues? Quite the bold statement:nyah:

On 6/25/2023 at 11:42 PM, Stelly Stel said:

Unless its Miracleman #15 (thumbsu

Give it time.

They probably just haven’t got around to it yet.

On 6/26/2023 at 4:57 AM, Telegan said:

The one that always got me was when Death was killed by Beyonder.  I'm like c'mon Marvel... wth?

Using a cosmic-level entity makes a bit more sense than eradicating Death by using an Ultimate Nullifier, as happened in one story I read recently.

I suppose.

On 6/26/2023 at 3:41 AM, mephistopheles said:

People actually like Skottie Young?

He’s fine on material that works with a cartoony, animated style. His Oz adaptations were nice.

On 6/25/2023 at 5:42 PM, Stelly Stel said:

Unless its Miracleman #15 (thumbsu

hm

You know Marvel owns Miracleman now and have :censored: up everything they've done with the property so far, right?

On 6/26/2023 at 12:34 PM, Lazyboy said:

hm

You know Marvel owns Miracleman now and have :censored: up everything they've done with the property so far, right?

I'm curious about which you dislike: Neil Gaiman's writing or Mark Buckinghams' art?

I know I'm being naive here but what if the "death of" issue is actually a good story?

I'm thinking of stuff like Daredevil #181.  I know I can't divine intent, but I think Miller intended the character to die from the time she was created, it was part of her and Matt's story arc, so I don't think it was intended as a gimmick. (if anything, bringing her back was more the gimmick, and a mistake IMHO).

But regardless of the intent or the fact that bringing her back kind of undermines the impact of the death itself, the story is still really good.

I'm sure there's other examples but of course the question is, who gets to determine which death issues are actually still good and which were just a cheap sales ploy.

On 6/26/2023 at 11:51 AM, Off Panel said:

I'm curious about which you dislike: Neil Gaiman's writing or Mark Buckinghams' art?

The fact that it took over a decade for Marvel to finally continue that run that started 33 years ago.

On 6/25/2023 at 4:22 AM, D2 said:

IMG_9897.jpeg

I remember just how emotional this death issue was at the time, and as a teenager I naively believed in its permanence.

Even this only lasted a few years, 1980 to 1985. A death ironically short-lived.

On 6/26/2023 at 1:17 PM, Ken Aldred said:

898997.jpg

This is to me just as powerful a story as ASM 121.  Great artwork as well.

I don’t read enough modern Spider-Man comics to know if the character was brought back at some stage.

Still, one of the great books of this particular type.

This is a great one.  The impact on Peter’s character finding out he kept his secret, and the fallout of Gwen blaming Spidey for her fathers death.  Outstanding issue & certainly a key in the development of Parker.

On 6/26/2023 at 1:10 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I remember just how emotional this death issue was at the time, and as a teenager I naively believed in its permanence.

Even this only lasted a few years, 1980 to 1985. A death ironically short-lived.

That death was definitely short lived, and the cocoon premise spelled out how poorly her resurrection was considered.

The death stories are important because they can give writers an opportunity to write through a concept and feeling, that are just unavailable. They can bring in story concepts and character developments that I would argue are needed to old and tired architypes. I'm all for resurrections if they make sense and can bring intelligent and thoughtful thinking into the mix, but continuity for continuity sake is comics' weakest link.

Here is Wolverine evolving into something greater... but a wasted opportunity.

image.thumb.png.169ebc7bf804b1ccd62bd4d3705f5357.png