• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point Five's 4th Annual Grading Contest: FINAL RESULTS
3 3

20 posts in this topic

For completeness, here are the key measures of central tendency for Round 4 (Mean = the average grade; Median = the middle grade in a numerically rank-ordered list; Mode = the most common grade):

Book CGC Grade Distribution Statistics
# Grade Mean Median Mode
10 3.5 3.9 4.0 3.5
11 4.0 4.5 4.5 4.0
12 4.0 3.6 3.5 4.0

Here are a few notable observations based on the data reported above:

• Book #10 (Strange Fantasy #7):  An easy book for the Board as a whole, with 35% of the contestants at the same grade as CGC and 74% within one grade increment of CGC.  Collectively, the Board was almost one grade increment more lenient than CGC (3.9 vs 3.5).
  • Book #11 (Wanted #50):  Another easy book for the Board as a whole, with 29% of the contestants at the same grade as CGC and 61% within one grade increment of CGC.  Collectively, the Board was one grade increment more lenient than CGC (4.5 vs 4.0).
  • Book #12 (Wanted #52):  Yet another easy book for the Board as a whole, with 26% of the contestants at the same grade as CGC and 65% within one grade increment of CGC.  Collectively, the Board was almost one grade increment more critical than CGC (3.6 vs 4.0).

Ten very sweet issues that one rarely sees here on the Boards (plus two others that only rate a  meh  from me).  Many thanks for the opportunity, Jon.  It was a lot of fun.  :foryou:  :hi:

@Point Five thanks for putting this together. :applause: I did a rush job on the first two rounds and it showed but at least I finished a little stronger to make it respectable. 

On 6/24/2023 at 8:22 PM, Point Five said:

Congrats to @jbpez, the winner of this grading contest!  :applause:

Honorable mention to @pretzelz2001 and @scburdet, who tied for 2nd and just narrowly missed the top slot!  :applause::applause:

And big ups to everyone who played and soldiered on to the end. As I mentioned, I had the most misses I've ever had on any submission... in broad strokes, about half of you outperformed the guesses I made **with the books literally in hand.** That's really impressive.  (worship)

Thanks for running these contests Jon, always fun and appreciated.

Did I hear a rumor that the winner of the contest gets all of the books graded in the contest as a prize?  :whee:

On 6/26/2023 at 9:13 PM, thehumantorch said:

Thanks for running these contests Jon, always fun and appreciated.

Did I hear a rumor that the winner of the contest gets all of the books graded in the contest as a prize?  :whee:

You've got it partly right... per my terms and conditions, the winner of the contest pays all the submission fees. A little harsh maybe but I think it's fair?  (shrug)

I had some time today to go back and to check out the contest. Very impressive showings by all given the difficulty and very wide range of books in this years contest. As always, Jon mixed the various presenting types of defects well. Congrats to Jeff for an amazing comeback... @jbpez.
If history is any indication, If I were lucky and on my game, I may  have ended up at or below @grendelbo as our interpretation of "grading" is very much in alignment. Until next time fellas. Cheers!