• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the writer’s strike going to break the back of SDCC?
3 3

92 posts in this topic

Doesn’t look good for the granddaddy of comic cons.

Vintage comic book buying and selling has been diminishing for years. Most large corporate sponsors like Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Mattel, Hasbro have given up the show. And now this.

It costs a LOT just to attend this show. With all of this gone, what is the motivation?

This show was built on buying and selling vintage comics. Over the years, SDCC has slowly squeezed it out. Relying on big business and Hollywood to attract the crowds.

Sad to see…

https://sdccblog.com/2023/06/strike-talk-how-the-strike-is-affecting-san-diego-comic-con-2023/

On 6/29/2023 at 8:17 AM, KingOfRulers said:

I don't think it will have an effect on SDCC. I see threats longterm, such as "Will the general public tire of nerd culture?"

Agreed. Folks suffering from Superhero overdose. e.g. Eternals, Morbius, The Flash, Thor: Love and Blunder, Secret Invasion tv.

On 6/29/2023 at 8:17 AM, KingOfRulers said:

"Will the general public tire of nerd culture?"

I'm not sure nerd culture needs the general public.  Society is producing more nerds than ever before and, I mean, how many discreet individuals actually bought a ticket for Avengers: Endgame

I don’t think it will affect it too much. Everyone has their ticket and plans already anyway. Maybe a few panels cancelled?

If SAG joins in, things could get really interesting. As this goes on there may be some loopholes for studios to cancel shows. I am concerned about a few good ones that were in the writers room but not at the filming stage.  I hope they don’t get cancelled. :sorry:

Sounds like the perfect storm for another convention to come in and cater to the events that SDCC is too big to concern themselves with.

I guess I can see how you made the connection from Marvel Comics -> MCU -> Movie Writers -> Writer's Strike. However, I don't think that has any effect on this year's SDCC. Anything to be showcased would have been mostly-written and produced to some degree by then.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus
Typo.

On 6/29/2023 at 4:44 PM, KingOfRulers said:

I haven't been in so long. I wonder if it's filled with vagrant tents now.

California only improves with age. They're doing a great job out there with the Golden State.

Here are a couple CA alternatives to SDCC:

Comics | Torpedo Con | Los Angeles (torpedocollectorscon.com)

Berkeley Comic Show – Your Old-School Comic Book Show

On 6/29/2023 at 10:43 AM, Robot Man said:

Doesn’t look good for the granddaddy of comic cons.

Vintage comic book buying and selling has been diminishing for years. Most large corporate sponsors like Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Mattel, Hasbro have given up the show. And now this.

It costs a LOT just to attend this show. With all of this gone, what is the motivation?

This show was built on buying and selling vintage comics. Over the years, SDCC has slowly squeezed it out. Relying on big business and Hollywood to attract the crowds.

Sad to see…

https://sdccblog.com/2023/06/strike-talk-how-the-strike-is-affecting-san-diego-comic-con-2023/

The big business and Hollywood exodus should leave an extra sqft or two for comics. Get your comics for flippin' signed by the big big stars in Poughkeepsie, I reckon. 

On 6/29/2023 at 9:02 AM, justafan said:

I hope so, maybe it'll return back to a pure comic book show without all the media and random swag and tickets will be easier to get. However, it's probably already just a self-sustaining engine of pop culture.

That's the last thing I want to go back to! :preach:

There are countless amount of "just comic book shows" in the USA.   Boring alert!

The reason SDCC is fun is because of all the Hollywood and pop-culture mixed in.  Its a week long party!

If Warner Bros is smart they will take the 2023 show to pimp out the start of their real DC cinematic universe.

On 6/29/2023 at 1:44 PM, KingOfRulers said:

I haven't been in so long. I wonder if it's filled with vagrant tents now.

Yes, but they chase them out during con.

I lived in SD from 2006-covid.  110% the city sucks now.

I still love SD as whole, but downtown SD is trash now.

America's Finest City is no more!

On 6/29/2023 at 10:54 AM, KingOfRulers said:

I view Avengers: Endgame as our peak. We've been fortunate to experience the golden age of the superhero. 2008-2019 was the heyday for the MCU, but I'd say ever since X-Men came out in 2000, our once sub-culture has become mass appeal, popular culture. 2008-2019 was an amazing run. Not every movie was a winner, but even so, it was what so many of us dreamed about for years. At this point, we're four years beyond Avengers: Endgame (it's hard to believe it's been that long). I think the average person who isn't a comic book fan, but got loved going to see all the Marvel movies over the years, is possibly burned out. Been there, done that at this point.

As to what this means for SDCC...probably nothing for quite a while. I think SDCC is large and high profile enough to bring in full capacity numbers for quite a while, even if general interest in fandom declines.

I owned and operated several large comic conventions from 2010-2021. None as big as SDCC, but at the 40,000-50,000 attendee level. Towards the end of our run, we were very nervous about general public's comic con fatigue. Another, "been there, done that" situation. But in our case, not towards interest in Marvel movies and nerd culture, but instead interest in comic conventions. I think the nerd culture boom that we've had the last 15 years was fueled by popularity of Marvel movies, Star Wars movies, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and the general prevalence of properties that were closely associated with events such as comic conventions. It's one reason why so many comic conventions (including my own) sprouted up everywhere and grew so large. At this moment in time, I see the general public as bored with the MCU, Star Wars etc, and I see that boredom as a threat to the viability of regional-level comic conventions. While SDCC isn't immune in the longterm, I see it as pretty resistant to that fatigue.

Well again we dont have a superhero hero fatigue problem, we have companies run by stupid people problem.

Mix in these terrible writers and actors.

I look at the writers strike, and wonder why some of them were making anything past CA min wage to start. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 6/29/2023 at 8:10 AM, Funnybooks said:

zero impact...the event is too big

This year? Well no because everyone bought their tickets, planes, and hotels lol

Next year it will if this is now the new norm.  I think this has more to do with the writers strike, and Marvel sucking and having no new news this year. I am hoping most will come back in 2024.