• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I reholder this Superman comic from the 40's?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

The worry, I guess, that I have is that this book was encapsulated in 2004 coupled with: a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush -- would potential damage occur based on the grader notes or even a lower grade been awarded? Or would more potential damage occur if I don't reholder it? Not sure if a clean and a press would be suited given the grader notes or whether a miscut could be misconstrued as an act of trimming given possible changes with CGC in the past 19 years? 

All comments are welcomed :x

Picture 1 of 4Picture 4 of 4

One reason to re-holder the comic could be concern over the micro chamber paper. CGC originally put micro chamber paper between the first page and the front cover and the last page and the front cover. In many instances, this placement of the micro chamber paper was believed to be reacting with some front covers and causing them to turn transparent. I believe (been a while since I have cracked a comic out) CGC now places the micro chamber paper a few pages in to avoid this.

On 6/30/2023 at 1:25 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I am waiting until CGC gets their stuff together before I attempt any re-holder submissions. 2c

Yeah to be honest :x

On 6/30/2023 at 3:43 PM, Sauce Dog said:

If a press won't benefit it, why exactly are you wanting to get it re-holdered? Is it just OCD with it being in an 'old' slab? I don't see a point with paying an waiting for it otherwise.

Well it's a bit of what @Black_Adam said below, coupled with the fact isn't it recommended to reholder every 7-10 years?

On 6/30/2023 at 4:14 PM, Black_Adam said:

One reason to re-holder the comic could be concern over the micro chamber paper. CGC originally put micro chamber paper between the first page and the front cover and the last page and the front cover. In many instances, this placement of the micro chamber paper was believed to be reacting with some front covers and causing them to turn transparent. I believe (been a while since I have cracked a comic out) CGC now places the micro chamber paper a few pages in to avoid this.

That's the issue I was referring to, though I didn't know about the micro chamber paper changes :O

On 7/1/2023 at 3:32 PM, SSSnake said:

I don't remember it this way. It doesn't turn the cover transparent, but it appears that way because of the light deflection when books were scanned (not photographed). Books like X men 1 and white covers really showed this. Afaik the MC paper is not harming the book.

I have cracked out comics where the cover was definitely affected by the paper. There is a reason why CGC switched the position of the MC paper to the inside pages, so that it is no longer in contact with the cover,  and I am always nervous about buying comics in the really old slabs for just this reason.

Pros : Fresh slab with new MC paper; comes back with a higher grade.

Cons: Comes back trimmed; lower grade; damaged/lost.

It's a beautiful 8.0. I wouldn't risk it unless you think there is a chance with a C&P to bump it. The miscut shouldn't come back as trimmed but....

Conclusion: Don't tempt fate.

On 7/1/2023 at 4:52 PM, SSSnake said:

How do you know it definitely affected it? I don't think you can know. We'll have to agree to disagree as I don't believe the MC causes this. I've seen many comics like this that have never been near MC, as it's the comic itself that causes it. 

There is what I can only describe as a translucent shadow the exact size of the MC paper and a presser I deal with has told me it's a known problem. To be on the safe side I follow the top grading companies' lead and no longer place MC paper between the cover and front page. But that's just my 2c