• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Chicago 2023
2 2

33 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2023 at 7:30 AM, 1Cool said:

Was there a crime spree this weekend at this show?  Thought I saw somebody talking about it on Facebook.

There were a couple of books stolen. I think I heard Reece's had a Hulk 1 taken 

On 8/14/2023 at 8:56 AM, Murphman13 said:

Terrys Comics, Reece and Harley were all hit. Multiple books stolen.

I think the Hulk 1 was the biggest book stolen but it sounded like whole batched of Golden Age books were stolen from a booth.  

Edited by 1Cool

On 8/13/2023 at 4:13 PM, BriD. said:

A few more photos and the haul for the weekend. The art is a commission of Dr. Mrs. the Monarch by Sorah Suhng. 

20230813_151621_HDR.jpg

20230813_151904_HDR.jpg

20230813_153114_HDR.jpg

20230813_154451_HDR.jpg

20230813_161327_HDR.jpg

20230813_161337.jpg

20230813_162455_HDR.jpg

20230813_175310_1.jpg

20230813_175222_1.jpg

20230813_174849_1.jpg

20230813_175242_1.jpg

20230812_095441_1.jpg

Nice report. Thanks for posting. You got some fun books. Especially that All American 93. It is a “Paul” copy. A HUGE collection that surfaced in LA about 8 years ago. I got in good with the buyer of the collection. Every few weeks he would call me to look at what he unearthed. In addition to a ton of other books, I bought as many of the AA and GL Harlequin issues as I could get.  That must have slipped through the cracks and eventually made it to Chicago! 

On 8/14/2023 at 9:47 PM, Robot Man said:

Nice report. Thanks for posting. You got some fun books. Especially that All American 93. It is a “Paul” copy. A HUGE collection that surfaced in LA about 8 years ago. I got in good with the buyer of the collection. Every few weeks he would call me to look at what he unearthed. In addition to a ton of other books, I bought as many of the AA and GL Harlequin issues as I could get.  That must have slipped through the cracks and eventually made it to Chicago! 

Thanks for the info, I've never heard of a Paul copy before. I love it when someone can identify a book that way. It's one of the great benefits of lurking around these boards. 

(by the by, I'm still looking for a couple Harlequin covers if you ever want to let go of any :wishluck:)

On 8/15/2023 at 5:04 AM, BriD. said:

Thanks for the info, I've never heard of a Paul copy before. I love it when someone can identify a book that way. It's one of the great benefits of lurking around these boards. 

(by the by, I'm still looking for a couple Harlequin covers if you ever want to let go of any :wishluck:)

Paul was an eccentric hoarder of comics from 1940-mid 80’s. Starting with Batman #1. He also hoarded pulps, fanzines and girly mags. His stash eventually filled 3 storage spaces and the buyer’s garage and spare bedroom. Was a well kept secret. Me and 2 other guys bought most of it. What we didn’t buy, went to small local cons. A lot is spread out now all over the collecting community. I bought all of the later AA and GL Harlequin issues. I would have bought yours if I’d seen it. Problem was the stuff was totally mixed up in hundreds of cardboard boxes. So when the buyer opened a box, he never knew what he would find. It was the biggest collection I have ever come across in the LA area. What a great ride. 

My favorite show of the year for buying comics-- picked up a lot of great stuff including a BATMAN #20-- a great MARVEL TALES #118 some early Green Lanterns (Golden Age) and some others.  LOVE this show.  Theft has always been an issue, always bad.  We closed off the Superworld booth and only let one person in at a time, when we heard from Austin Reece that he'd had a book taken we went to full on lockdown and closed the booth.    This is a show that needs FOUR guys (we had three booths) because it takes forever to get lunch and to use the bathroom, plus just general fatigue that kicks in.   Great sales for SW, already signed up for next year.

I'd suggest the show organizers have police walk the show floor, especially on Saturday.   This is the only show I know where you don't see any.

On 8/15/2023 at 9:22 AM, Robot Man said:

Paul was an eccentric hoarder of comics from 1940-mid 80’s. Starting with Batman #1. He also hoarded pulps, fanzines and girly mags. His stash eventually filled 3 storage spaces and the buyer’s garage and spare bedroom. Was a well kept secret. Me and 2 other guys bought most of it. What we didn’t buy, went to small local cons. A lot is spread out now all over the collecting community. I bought all of the later AA and GL Harlequin issues. I would have bought yours if I’d seen it. Problem was the stuff was totally mixed up in hundreds of cardboard boxes. So when the buyer opened a box, he never knew what he would find. It was the biggest collection I have ever come across in the LA area. What a great ride. 

I was about to ask what it was that identified this. I took a  look and I see Paul written at the top of the front cover doh!. I didn't notice that when I bought it. 

On 8/15/2023 at 10:39 AM, BriD. said:

I was about to ask what it was that identified this. I took a  look and I see Paul written at the top of the front cover doh!. I didn't notice that when I bought it. 

When you have seen as many as I have, it just jumps out at you.

Is it a “pedigree”? No, but one of the best and wide ranging killer collections I have had the good fortune to be on first. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 8/14/2023 at 5:30 AM, 1Cool said:

Was there a crime spree this weekend at this show?  Thought I saw somebody talking about it on Facebook.

As you may know Austin Reece had a Hulk #1 stolen in Chicago Fan Fest.

When I was informed of this I looked at my boxes to see if anything was amiss.

I had two people helping me watch during the show but as it was a slow day usually only one was in my booth.

My low grade Golden Age DC box#1 and #2 had lost a lot of comics.

While this does not hurt as bad as a Hulk #1 it is a substantial dollar amount and hard to recoup.

I filed a report with the Rosemont Police department which I can provide.

So if you are offered these comics consider them stolen and get as much information on the seller as possible, the seller is probably the thief and may have stolen from many of us as well.

ACTION COMICS

#

Nc,PgOut,HasCF

$1,500

DCGA1

ACTION COMICS

#

TrFc,T

$150

DCGA1

ACTION COMICS

#

$350

DCGA1

ACTION COMICS

#

TrStpl

$350

DCGA1

ACTION COMICS

#

$350

DCGA1

ACTION COMICS

#

PholsWs

$30

DCGA1

ACTION COMICS

#

$450

DCGA1

ACTION COMICS

#

$350

DCGA1

ACTION COMICS

#

TrFc

$350

DCGA1

ACTION COMICS

#

Noc

$300

DCGA1

ADVENTURE COMICS

#

Logo

$300

DCGA1

ADVENTURE COMICS

#

T

$50

DCGA1

ADVENTURE COMICS

#

Rs

$250

DCGA1

ADVENTURE COMICS

#

$200

DCGA1

These are missing for sure

If you have information on the theft please contact Terry at:

info@terryscomics.com or 714-288-8993.

All the best,

Terry O’Neill

Terry’s Old School Comics

On 8/14/2023 at 8:56 AM, Murphman13 said:

Terrys Comics, Reece and Harley were all hit. Multiple books stolen.

This is just awful. I can’t believe people who are at a place most attend to read about super heroes would act like super villains.