• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Starlord (UK, not Marvel) #1
2 2

15 posts in this topic

I can't find examples of slabbed versions of this book, probably b/c there are only 3 graded copies in the world. A lot of the UK stuff came with gifts, and the CGC label says it came with a badged taped to the front. It looks attached, so I wouldn't mess with it. Even if the tape was a defect (in this case I don't think it is), it would be a zero sum game to remove it b/c you'd likely create a tape pull/leave behind residue in the process. It also looks like some  The other UK gifts (like a mask & boomerang with Captain Britain 1 & 2 respectively) if they aren't there, get a qualified labels. To me, this is a 7.0/7.5 as-is b/c of the big corner bend. That might be pressable, but having the badge attached will make that harder (impossible?). Depending on what the badge is made of, a good presser might have a technique to work around the badge. I know they make little card frames so they can press things with inserts without pressing the shape of the insert into the entire book. I'm going to tag @joeypost for comment, b/c I could be talking out of my backside on this. 

If that's foxing on the white text and whatnot, I lower my initial offered grade by 1.0

Edited by scburdet

The tape is very dry. I have another copy that when I picked it up the give away and tape fell off. Thank you. I appreciate the effort.

I think it’s only #1 that has it taped. 2 and 3 slipped it inside like the captain Britain. I’ll check that to be sure as I have those too.

On 7/2/2023 at 4:33 PM, scburdet said:

I can't find examples of slabbed versions of this book, probably b/c there are only 3 graded copies in the world. A lot of the UK stuff came with gifts, and the CGC label says it came with a badged taped to the front. It looks attached, so I wouldn't mess with it. Even if the tape was a defect (in this case I don't think it is), it would be a zero sum game to remove it b/c you'd likely create a tape pull/leave behind residue in the process. It also looks like some  The other UK gifts (like a mask & boomerang with Captain Britain 1 & 2 respectively) if they aren't there, get a qualified labels. To me, this is a 7.0/7.5 as-is b/c of the big corner bend. That might be pressable, but having the badge attached will make that harder (impossible?). Depending on what the badge is made of, a good presser might have a technique to work around the badge. I know they make little card frames so they can press things with inserts without pressing the shape of the insert into the entire book. I'm going to tag @joeypost for comment, b/c I could be talking out of my backside on this. 

If that's foxing on the white text and whatnot, I lower my initial offered grade by 1.0

On 7/2/2023 at 5:32 PM, joeypost said:

This one is interesting due to the badge being taped to the cover. I wonder if CGC would encapsulate it due to that fact. 

I would ask them. 

26c56b5b14ba2e8455f447717ec4476d.png

On 7/6/2023 at 7:24 PM, harbourhow said:

Is your badge still attached?

On 7/6/2023 at 7:25 PM, harbourhow said:

If the badge has unattached from cover, should that not lower the grade?

That's not my copy, but one that was listed on eBay last year as I used the image as I wished to contact CGC about submitting my copies of the issue to grade ~

You'd have to ask CGC that, but if it's without the badge at all that'd be a green label ~ But I guess - to answer your question - it would depend on the damage :x

On 7/6/2023 at 4:04 PM, harbourhow said:

I have 3 different badges

There's an "Ask CGC" forum here. It's the easiest way to get your question answered. Post the books there

On 7/7/2023 at 6:15 AM, harbourhow said:

Ty. I will

Love this book (on my want list). Be very interested how CGC respond; if you get a chance, please add a link to the question in this post to see the response.

I'm at 8.0, but may be better if you can do some work on corner crease. I'd be taking a tack iron to this book to avoid any damage with the sticker attached, but @joeypost knows best.

On 7/6/2023 at 5:44 PM, harbourhow said:
  Reveal hidden contents

This book came with one of five or six different badges taped the cover. If the badge is unattached is that a defect and if so, how much would be deducted or what would be the max grade. ( assuming it is still in possession.)

Would there be deductions for tape on the cover or residue if the tape has fallen off?

0857FAEC-6255-4AEF-A65F-FEF981108AA8.jpeg

7292CB26-DEFB-4D9E-9412-275A3F912D6F.jpeg

Don’t know if I linked this right