• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Scam That Got Thru...

135 posts in this topic

This blue labeled CGC 9.2 Amazing Spider-Man #129 recently shown as sold on Comiclink has been married with the Mennen insert wrap...and possibly with the MJ insert as well...

Link

RADBA8922005924_23418.jpg

The Mennen wrap inserts, directed at military personnel, are ONLY found in Marvels cover dated Jul 1973 and sent to overseas military exchanges. It was used for exactly one month. As a result, it's impossible a comic cover dated Feb 1974 will contain the wrap.

Not to mention, Mennen sweepstakes entries had to be received by July 31, 1973...a full four months before #129 hit the shelves... insane.gif

Someone took this comic apart, inserted one and maybe both inserts, reassembled it, and sent it through CGC undetected...

Jim

The Mennen wrap inserts are ONLY found in Marvels cover dated Jul 1973. It was used for exactly one month. As a result, it's impossible a comic cover dated Feb 1974 will contain the wrap.

Not to mention, Mennen sweepstakes entries had to be received by July 31, 1973...a full four months before #129 hit the shelves... insane.gif

Someone took this comic apart, inserted one and maybe boh inserts, reassembled it and sent it through CGC undetected...

Jim

Jim, do Mennen wrap inserts command a big premium? If not, I`d be wondering why someone would bother with doing all that. Have you PM`d or emailed CGC to alert them to the potential scam here?

Jim, do Mennen wrap inserts command a big premium? If not, I`d be wondering why someone would bother with doing all that.

Sometimes they do...sometimes not. But when you're talking the key issues released in Jul 1973, ASM #122 and TOD #10, then the answer is yes...

Apparently this seller, or at least the original owner who submitted the book and I have a very good suspicion who it was, came out with multiple HG copies of both this comic and X-Men #94 which had the MJ inserts. I don't remember if the Mennen inserts were part of that though...I wasn't as smart about the inserts then as now...

Have you PM`d or emailed CGC to alert them to the potential scam here?

Yep...

Jim

I agree. There was a Creepshow tyspe movie (anyone remember?) skit that had a similar story about the "bugs". This cover reminds me of that story.

Wasn't that the last segment in the actual Creepshow film? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think so. Going to have to get out the DVD now foreheadslap.gif

I agree. There was a Creepshow tyspe movie (anyone remember?) skit that had a similar story about the "bugs". This cover reminds me of that story.

Wasn't that the last segment in the actual Creepshow film? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And you call yourself a horror fan. poke2.gifwink.gif

This blue labeled CGC 9.2 Amazing Spider-Man #129 recently shown as sold on Comiclink has been married with the Mennen insert wrap...and possibly with the MJ insert as well...

Link

RADBA8922005924_23418.jpg

The Mennen wrap inserts, directed at military personnel, are ONLY found in Marvels cover dated Jul 1973 and sent to overseas military exchanges. It was used for exactly one month. As a result, it's impossible a comic cover dated Feb 1974 will contain the wrap.

Someone took this comic apart, inserted one and maybe both inserts, reassembled it, and sent it through CGC undetected...

Jim

Good thing we have CGC looking out for us.... yeahok.gif

Yes it is. It was titled "They're Creeping Up On You". Always creeped me out.

My favorite was always "The Crate". Captain America #75 always reminds me of it.

creepshow4.jpg

btw.gif Creepshow 3 is supposedly in the works. crazy.gif

btw.gif Creepshow 3 is supposedly in the works. crazy.gif

It's going to be complete . Creepshow 3 is being made by the same people who did a straight-to-DVD film called "Day of the Dead 2: Contagium" (and WTF is a Contagium, anyways?). Anyhow, the film had NOTHING to do with Romero's, it was a complete pile of dross, and I couldn't even make it through the first 30 minutes without screaming in agony. I can't tell you how the movie ended, but I would take a guess and say "badly."

Not to hijack this thread..it looks like Jim may have detected yet another chink in the CGC armor. I'm no expert on these inserts, though, so I can't say with any certainty. Interested in seeing how this pans out, though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Apparently this seller, or at least the original owner who submitted the book and I have a very good suspicion who it was,

Let me guess, ummm... Eugene, OR, initials TL come to mind?

...Never heard of him,.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim,

Is this combo possible?

Mark Jewlers and United Service Club?

1010433-voe_06_cgc_94_white_0099127003.jpg

Yep...this one was labeled correctly...

The Club inserts are in Marvels cover dated Oct 1973 and will always be found with a MJ insert also...

Jim

Apparently this seller, or at least the original owner who submitted the book and I have a very good suspicion who it was,

Let me guess, ummm... Eugene, OR, initials TL come to mind?

Only Steve knows for sure...

The comics TL bought on eBay from Bettyswalls, cleaned, pressed, and resurfaced with MJ inserts attached (and god knows what other work) were usually in CGG holders. confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim