• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charles Schultz Studio For Sale
1 1

31 posts in this topic

In the post about the studio for sale, it appears the place was only used by Schulz for a few years -- "Built in 1966, the structure hosted Schulz and family from the mid-1960s through the early ’70s."  So it isn't where he did most of his work.

And there is already a Charles Schulz museum that everyone should visit.  It's in a nice part of California. 

https://schulzmuseum.org/

Address

2301 Hardies Lane

Santa Rosa, California 95403

(707) 579-4452

inquiries@schulzmuseum.org

On 7/5/2023 at 10:45 AM, Bronty said:

To my understanding Schulz's estate is extremely well funded so if they sold the property, it can't be all that great as a site.    Not to mention the fact that there already is a Schulz museum (in Santa Rosa from what I understand).    

I'm pretty sure that Schulz and his estate received more than a billion dollars in payment for his art.  A tiny portion was used to create the museum (which is very nice), but I'm not sure I put too high a priority on paying any public funds (or tax break) for preserving the studio, especially when I think they recreated his desk within the museum.

On 7/4/2023 at 11:05 AM, KirbyCollector said:

One of the more brilliant ideas of the French state was to allow heirs to donate an important artist's property to the nation in lieu of paying taxes, thus we can visit the preserved homes of Rodin,  Monet, Delacroix and many other artists and view their works in the settings in which they were created (and in some cases, stand in the actual studios). It is a shame this was not done for Schulz's home.

On 7/5/2023 at 10:17 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Schulz was the greatest American cartoonist and the cultural and artistic legacy he left is still felt today; it is not a stretch to say he forms part of the definition of "Americana." In France they have always been much more aware of what constitutes their national heritage (patrimonie) and sought to preserve the artistic aspects; this allows one to connect through time, i.e., at Giverny one can see the same flowers that Monet used as his inspiration in the very same context (light, air, scents) that he did. It has the effect of taking you inside his process and thus bringing his paintings to the present era. I have visited at least a dozen such homes/studios in France and the effect is always the same and my appreciation for the art that much greater.

Norman Rockwell gifted his studio to his own museum. The curators later moved the building to the museum site, preserved it and it can be toured today because they recognized it had value beyond the four walls. To think the place where Charlie Brown, Snoopy and Lucy were created is now a bedroom is a lack of respect for our own culture.

I tend to agree with you about preserving cultural heritage.  The Europeans are considerably better at it and it does make for a valuable resource to visit historical locations, not just for historical government sites, but cultural ones as well.  But as Americans, we're pretty well conditioned to always pursue what's new, what's different, and/or what's better.  Another way of putting it might be that we highly value change, in whatever form it may take.  Meanwhile, Europeans seem better at managing change while preserving the valuable parts of their past.  And it shows in their cities and traditions.

In some ways, one can trace America's affection for change all the way back to the foundation of our country.  When your origin myth is revolution, then it's hard to see the value in holding on to your past.  2c

On 7/5/2023 at 4:29 PM, JollyComics said:

Two things I don't see at his studio are essentially missing: Where was his studio office and his Charles Brown works?

That kitchen has a bigger microwave. I got an impression that he was not a cooker.

Didn't he eat breakfast every day at his ice skating rink?

On 7/5/2023 at 7:38 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I have a number of personal correspondences from Charles Schulz to Fritz and his wife Lou Van Pelt. Lou inspired Lucy and Fritz (Philip) was a friend and contributor to many of Schulz’ strip ideas, including the psychiatry booth.  Some of these are pretty early from 1952.

IMG_4818.jpeg

Wonderful pieces, Rick!  I love the Bridge bidding reference from Snoopy and Charlie Brown!  Not many people play anymore.  (thumbsu