• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I get a signed comic graded if it was not from a CGC-facilitated event?
2 2

5 posts in this topic

I have an X-Men #1 signed by Jim Lee (I was 11 years old when I got it signed at a local comic book shop in Berkeley, CA). I've never opened it since the day it was put into board/sleeve/top loader and is my favorite comic in my collection. I still have the bookmark that came with the signing that shows the event name, date, and info (mentioning Jim Lee's signing). Since it was before I ever knew about CGC and not through a CGC event, is there any way I can get this comic graded? 

Yes - but it won't be CGC's yellow Signature Series label.  It will instead receive their green Qualified Label.  Here's their description for the green label:

Qualified Label (Green)

A Qualified label is used by CGC for collectibles that have a significant defect that needs specific description, or to note an unauthenticated signature (one which was not witnessed by CGC). For example, a comic book with a missing coupon that otherwise grades 6.0 will receive a Qualified grade, avoiding a considerably lower grade. CGC would give this book a Qualified grade of 6.0 and a Label Text notation “COUPON MISSING FROM PAGE 10, DOES NOT AFFECT STORY.” Or, if the book is signed on the cover it may be noted as “NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER.”

Here is what it will look like:

image.thumb.png.f9f4d7b3baefcc4d4d4cb599959af064.png

Only you can determine if the cost is worth it, you made it a point to explain how you have left it in the bag and board. You may want to temper your expectations for a high grade though.

I do not see a point in having CGC grade it. If you want the signature authenticated there are other guys across the street that will do it and grade it.