• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA Auction 7/5

16 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2023 at 7:10 PM, fsumavila said:

Wish I had remembered about the Byrne Wolverine page. That seemed to go for very cheap

DOH! I would have also been on that Byrne Wolverine page, I always assume pieces will go too high so I stopped keeping an eye on auctions, maybe I need to start paying attention again.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

6871A822-76B4-4D1E-A6B5-8C1E4E8F7C6D.thumb.jpeg.b425b23e3323418cb0305007c29cf509.jpeg

The 90's stuff is always good for odd bidding situations. I was watching this Morbid Angel art - which was billed by Heritage as a "cover", which it isn't (I'm not sure if it was unpublished or a pinup, couldn't find any reference to it anywhere). Previous sales for a Morbid Angel cover by Shelby Robertson was around $330 with BP. It's still a nice 90's era example, but I figured bidding would stay right around where it sat for most of the time: $250 with BP.

I was watching the live bidding on this piece as it happened, and it cranks up to $660 with BP. The percentage increase doesn't even make sense - 100% increase on an unpublished piece versus it's published counterpart with better balance and composition by the same artist?

28363384%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Here's a published cover (acetate overlay trade dressing) that went for $336 with BP back in March 2023.

27863011%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Auctions for this era of work are all over the place. I'm sure that signifies something - especially on the lower end of the art spectrum, but I'm not sure what.

I'll expand on my "yep." My collection is broad - deliberately so. I like lots of artists/character combos and story lines, but once I get an example, I'm pretty well done and drop out of the bidding pool. I might "upgrade," but it doesn't happen often. I suspect I'm not the only one.

On 7/14/2023 at 4:00 PM, alxjhnsn said:

My collection is broad - deliberately so. I like lots of artists/character combos and story lines, but once I get an example, I'm pretty well done and drop out of the bidding pool.

This is where my problem is - my collection is very focused, so if I find a piece (there might be one per auction) that I think is going to land in my range and fits my collection, I have to make the choice of sticking it out guns blazing or back away. I'd say my collection breaks down to:

20% overpaid during a bidding war knife fight

40% paid average going rate

25% got a deal (bought for 20% under value)

15% stole it on a bargain (bought for 40%+ under value)

On 7/15/2023 at 3:11 PM, alxjhnsn said:

I suspect you are not alone in this approach.

A focused collection? No, indeed, he is not alone.
I generally ignore market prices if I want something. Hell, I will even buy things I don’t particularly like if they fill a perceived hole. Thankfully, all of my major artist slots, with one small exception, have been filled.