• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC needs to travel
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I know it will cost CGC money to travel to Australia, but I'm sure a service could be sorted where they simply collect books to be graded, and have a limited SS presence.

Heritage are here in July - I wonder if CGC even knows that big international cons outside of USA / Canada / UK attract good crowds?

The guest list is pretty good in my opinion.

https://metrocomiccon.com.au/#

Lucifer, Sons of Anarchy, Shadow and Bone, Stranger Things and Walking Dead actors in attendance. I have books to be signed....

@CGC Mike

Maybe bring this to the powers that be for next year?

Edited by Beige

• Administrator
On 7/7/2023 at 7:45 AM, CGC Mike said:
On 7/7/2023 at 12:27 AM, Beige said:

@CGC Mike

Maybe bring this to the powers that be for next year?

A message has been sent!

This is what I was told:

We are looking at international expansion but that will take a while. We do currently have Welcome Strangers in Australia that act as an Official Submission Center but unfortunately not for Signature Series as of yet.

On 7/7/2023 at 11:00 PM, CGC Mike said:

This is what I was told:

We are looking at international expansion but that will take a while. We do currently have Welcome Strangers in Australia that act as an Official Submission Center but unfortunately not for Signature Series as of yet.

Eh? Official Sub Centre in Oz? 

Edited by Cat
Clarity

I wonder how this would work at a convention or other? I was told cgc ships the books collected at a convention instead of manually carrying back to Florida. Sounds like it would "help" for them to be in attendance but would still be expensive?

Onsite grading would be awesome, but it too is harder(er) to come by...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/7/2023 at 10:59 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I wonder how this would work at a convention or other? I was told cgc ships the books collected at a convention instead of manually carrying back to Florida. Sounds like it would "help" for them to be in attendance but would still be expensive?

Onsite grading would be awesome, but it took is harder(er) to come by...

I may be incorrect since I have never been interested in on-site grading and, thus, have never bothered to check on it, but solely based on reading posts it may be that CGC did a lot more on-site grading in years past than currently; that may change. Of course, the pandemic likely played a role in this if my perception is correct.

How many days of lost productivity would CGC have to deal with?  I can't imagine boarding a flight in Florida, flying thru to Oz,  hopping off, and getting to work grading comics.  Then do the reverse a few days later.  Are there direct flights from Florida to Australia or would more time be wasted switching planes?

I don't see it as a very good use of resources.

Edited by shadroch

All it needs is a couple of staff to collect books for grading and to hire a couple of local witnesses for SS books.

Ensure they have been taught to prepare books properly for Sigs - even by Zoom.

There's enough boardies in Melbourne and Sydney who would be interested I'm sure ( not me in case anyone was wondering!)

Books for grading could be sent back via express freight (direct from site) and SS books as load-on / load-off luggage in secure freight in the hold.

No need for on-site grading (too expensive, and probably not enough demand at this point) but I'm sure CGC could train a couple of locals and send a couple from USA to supervise.

Keep it small, and it's not too expensive. It might take a trip or two to get the word out, but Harley Yee and Heritage travel down every year (Heritage is here next week) so the economics can't be that bad (shrug)

The Comic Con organisers had apparently reached out to CGC - but their fee was too high.

It's worth a thought as Cons keep growing and the guest lists get better. Mamoa and Hemsworth are 'locals' for example,and a heap of Marvel movies are filmed in Australia. :manhero:

Seems something CGC should at least look at.

The Australian market has heaps of growth left in it - population is now 22 million and rising.

2c

Edited by Beige

On 7/7/2023 at 11:08 PM, Cat said:

Eh? Official Sub Centre in Oz? 

Yup - never heard of them either - 100% certain I haven't seen them advertising attendance at cons etc etc.

On 7/7/2023 at 8:17 AM, shadroch said:

How many days of lost productivity would CGC have to deal with?  I can't imagine boarding a flight in Florida, flying thru to Oz,  hopping off, and getting to work grading comics.  Then do the reverse a few days later.  Are there direct flights from Florida to Australia or would more time be wasted switching planes?

I don't see it as a very good use of resources.

Poster have posted in the past that CGC sustains significant slowdowns in grading times during "convention season." 

CGC turnaround time estimates are given in "working days" but it's my recollection that CGC has, at least in the past, deemed convention days as NOT "working days."

CGC use to come to canada it’s been awhile it was kind of nice to get your book signed in person with a witness there so you can still get the yellow label.. hopefully CGC can start making the con runs again like the good old days..

On 7/7/2023 at 10:42 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

have gnome will travel  :x

shutterstock_1511744567_Gnomesville-1024x682.jpg

Gnomes are awesome and they remind me of one of my neighbors, or is it the reverse. I'll also note that I don't know if my neighbor is awesome. I'll ask. :smile: