• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA restoration
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Hi All 

I have an important piece of science fiction art that has pretty noticeable foxing. I'd love to preserve it and stop the foxing from getting worse. I have spoken to a few conservators and they said it's possible. I just relied on an internet search to find them but I was wondering if there is anyone boardies would recommend? The art is lead pencil on illustration board. 

Thanks so much! 

Jake

Here's my standard reply.

In the many threads on paper conservation, the names that recur the most were:

• Robert Dennis
Comic Art Restoration Service (on Facebook)
Robert's legal problems preclude recommending him at this time.

• Gordon Christman
Gordon doesn't seem to have a web presence, but his snail mail address and phone number are:
Gordon G. Christman
Restoration & Conservation
960 Vine St
Oceanside, CA 92054
TEL:  760 439 7970
CEL:  760 458 2290

• Tracey Heft - Eclipse Paper

I've also had one recommendation for each of these:

I would add that most major museums know of paper conservators. You might want to contact someone at a local museum and see if there is a conservator close to you.

Edited by alxjhnsn

Bill Cox at Comicartfans has recommended a woman who lives in FL. He mentioned her again in his last CAF update.  She has done work for him and was also doing work for George Pratt on a Frazetta ... so she must know what she is doing!  :-)

On 7/8/2023 at 11:56 AM, alxjhnsn said:

Here's my standard reply.

In the many threads on paper conservation, the names that recur the most were:

• Robert Dennis
Comic Art Restoration Service (on Facebook)
Robert's legal problems preclude recommending him at this time.

• Gordon Christman
Gordon doesn't seem to have a web presence, but his snail mail address and phone number are:
Gordon G. Christman
Restoration & Conservation
330 South Horne Street #L
Oceanside, CA 92054
TEL:  760 439 7970
CEL:  760 458 2290

• Tracey Heft - Eclipse Paper

I've also had one recommendation for each of these:

I would add that most major museums know of paper conservators. You might want to contact someone at a local museum and see if there is a conservator close to you.

FYI,

Gordon moved a few miles...so the street address (330 South Horne Street) is not correct

Mark

Edited by mtlevy1
clarification

On 7/11/2023 at 12:49 AM, mtlevy1 said:

FYI,

Gordon moved a few miles...so the street address (330 South Horne Street) is not correct

Mark

Thanks. Is this it?

960 Vine St, Oceanside, CA 92054

Edited by alxjhnsn

On 7/7/2023 at 8:53 PM, The-Collector said:

Hi All 

I have an important piece of science fiction art that has pretty noticeable foxing. I'd love to preserve it and stop the foxing from getting worse. I have spoken to a few conservators and they said it's possible. I just relied on an internet search to find them but I was wondering if there is anyone boardies would recommend? The art is lead pencil on illustration board. 

Thanks so much! 

Jake

This vendor has cleaned foxing for me in the past.  Did a great job, will post results on CAF eventually.

https://www.paperlovesconservation.com/