• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-men #4 CGC 4.0 restored - press?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Had this graded several years ago (have a number of old ones like this).  Didn't have it pressed - would love thoughts on if its worth pressing AND eliminating the restoration for a possible upgrade.  No idea if they remove restoration what happens (didn't know it was restored when I bought).

Grader notes

light staining to cover
multiple crease cover breaks color
small amount of glue on spine
wear all edges cover breaks color

IMG_8129.JPG

IMG_8130.JPG

IMG_8131.JPG

IMG_8132.JPG

IMG_8133.JPG

IMG_8134.JPG

IMG_8135.JPG

IMG_8136.JPG

IMG_8137.JPG

IMG_8138.JPG

IMG_8139.JPG

This is probably a better topic for the Grading & Restoration forum, however...

Leave it. None of those defects will be fixed by pressing. The combo of color-breaking defects are what have this at 4.0. IDK exactly how one removes glue, but I don't think it's worth the trouble, money or risk. Taking off the glue could require removing paper, and still not be successful. You could lose a grade to get a Universal, or you could invest a bunch in removal and end up with the same or lower restored grade. With current fees, you'd be spending at least $100-150 to increase the value by at most $400-500. IMO, this type of restoration shouldn't hurt the FMV as much as something like color touch in the first place b/c it's a structural fix not an attempt to hide damage. Very limited sales data, but I don't see a huge drop in FMV for this book universal vs restored at this grade. My guess is that restoration removal usually has the most upside with books that have values in multiple thousands of dollars (or is a very trivial removal). 2c