• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman #75 Memorial Edition - Value and Polybag Preservation Questions
2 2

11 posts in this topic

I purchased the Superman #75 Memorial Edition in 1992, and it holds sentimental value as my only comic book. I'm planning to get it graded but have a few concerns. Should I remove the polybag, which signifies the memorial edition, or will it affect its value? If I remove the polybag, will it still be visible that it's the memorial edition, or does the memorial edition hold value regardless of the polybag being there?

The polybagged edition looks different from other versions. image.png.3ccbbc64258ea6e1fe6e83e02d7ad385.png

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?tid=110791&pgi=51

To submit this, carefully slice open the top of the bag and remove the comic. Put it into a bag with a backing board. Keep the black bag and its accessories together. Submit the comic only for grading. 

When it comes back, keep it with its original contents.

If you are not grading the comic, it is best to keep it sealed in its polybag for best value. They usually sell for $15-$30.

The comic has to be removed from the bag to be graded. You may want to get it pressed if you think that will help the grade or presentation. A CGC 9.8 copy is worth about $115-$135, maybe 10% more if the original accessories are included. 

Edited by Lightning55

So financially it’s a bit of schroedinger’s cat because you don’t know what’s the grade when it’s in the bag.

It’s certainly worth it to open the bag and grade if it’s a 9.8, but otherwise you lose money opening.  But you can’t know the grade without opening.

i personally would leave it bagged for sentimental reasons and go buy a cgc 9.8 if I really liked the comic that much

Yeah I got confused by that as well. OP said “Memorial edition” which I took as the regular plain bloody RED S bag that they printed a million of. Not the silver S bag that is rarer and actually valuable.

If it’s the standard red S bag, it’s not valuable at all. OP can buy a still sealed one from a boardie or on eBay for like $10. If they get it slabbed and it’s a 9.8 maybe it’s worth like $120 but that’s not accounting for ebay taking 30% and the CGC slab cost. It sounds like OP is worried taking it out of the bag could cost him some retirement level gem or something. Unless someone buys up thousands and deposits them in a landfill I’d advise OP to do what he wants with his book and not worry about “value”

On 7/11/2023 at 10:44 AM, Cman429 said:

Unless someone buys up thousands and deposits them in a landfill I’d advise OP to do what he wants with his book and not worry about “value”

Now THERE's a fun project for us boardies...