• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Subgrades
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I know subgrades are no longer an option on the flip but are these 4 areas still considered the same way in calculating a grade.  For instance if I have a card that I’m confident is gem mint in three areas but mint in one area can it still have a chance at gem mint?   Or will only meeting mint criteria in one area automatically limit it to a mint grade?

• Administrator

Hello @Phil Boyd

Thank you for reaching out to us. While individual grades will not be assigned to the old subgrade categories, grading will continue to evaluate a card's overall condition. The following is a description of a Gem Mint 10: 

A Gem Mint 10 is a card that has received a 10 grade overall; however, one of the grading criteria does not meet the requirements of a Pristine 10. Corners will appear perfect to the naked eye and Mint+ under 10x magnification. The surface is free of print spots and should also display perfect gloss, devoid of any surface flaws. Centering is not to exceed approximately 55/45, and reverse centering is not to exceed 75/25.

You can view the updated grading scale here: CGC Cards | Grading Scale.

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

Thanks for the reply but this didn’t really address the question.  Under the original CSG grading scale a gem mint card could receive 3 9.5 sub-grades and a 9 for surface for instance and still be gem mint.  So a card for instance could have a small print spot that gave it a 9 surface grade but still be gem mint.  Now under the new scale it says no print spots.  So it seems the standard changed along with the scale.  There can now be cards reholdered in a new gem mint holder that aren’t held to the same criteria as newly graded cards.  Is that accurate?

• Administrator

Hello @Phil Boyd, thank you for your reply. CSG did not previously have subgrades as an additional service, so I think you may be referring to trading cards? Do you mind sending me where you are seeing the new scale mentioning print spots specifically and we can check with our grading team on this?

Thank you!