• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The San Diego Comic con losing its appeal to the vintage collector?
3 3

78 posts in this topic

I think so. Hollywood has taken over and the con has lost its roots. The vintage comic section keeps shrinking. The Big books are on display for auction only. I don’t need this yearly pilgrimage anymore. All you need is a cel phone now.

That’s around the time I went; I had approximately the same thought then (not worth it).   I haven’t been back.    If you’re close by or you really want to go, sure, have at it, but there’s also lots of reasons to skip it. 

On 7/12/2023 at 5:05 AM, action1kid said:

I think so. Hollywood has taken over and the con has lost its roots. The vintage comic section keeps shrinking. The Big books are on display for auction only. I don’t need this yearly pilgrimage anymore. All you need is a cel phone now.

I agree. Although I’m not looking at the “big books” anymore, I still love to box dive for more affordable and interesting stuff. Most of which is no longer profitable for dealers to bring to this show. 

Hard to do that online. And more important, you have no human contact. SDCC does have that “vibe” that you can’t get online or at any other con for that matter.

The cost and crowds have just driven me away from it. 

You can get tickets it’s just you have to work way to hard to do it. And a little luck. Then you need to figure in the “lottery” for hotel and even parking. At very high rates. Just not worth it for me to see some friends and box dive (even if I still could). 

On 7/12/2023 at 10:55 AM, Ryan. said:

I remember people saying this exact thing in 2003.

It was true then.  It is more true now.

On 7/12/2023 at 8:24 AM, MrBedrock said:

I think not. Every year I find something cool. And now there is much less competition.

The number of vendors of vintage comics went down dramatically from '95 to '20.  The quantity of vintage comics went down as well.

I can understand from your personal perspective that you are doing fine, but I would have to disagree that the vintage collector community is unaffected by such clear diminution in booths and books.

On 7/12/2023 at 11:12 AM, adamstrange said:

The number of vendors of vintage comics went down dramatically from '95 to '20.  The quantity of vintage comics went down as well.

I can understand from your personal perspective that you are doing fine, but I would have to disagree that the vintage collector community is unaffected by such clear diminution in booths and books.

Time for all of us to support local shows and other “cons” not named San Diego!

On 7/12/2023 at 1:12 PM, adamstrange said:

But the quality and quantity of both dealers and books at all shows has diminished over that same time period. Auctions have increased, therefore books available have decreased. San Diego still has more books than any other show. So by comparIron to other shows it is still very appealing.

On 7/12/2023 at 12:05 PM, MrBedrock said:

But the quality and quantity of both dealers and books at all shows has diminished over that same time period. Auctions have increased, therefore books available have decreased. San Diego still has more books than any other show. So by comparIron to other shows it is still very appealing.

:baiting:Don't take much to turn @MrBedrockon anymore at his age.:whistle:

On 7/12/2023 at 5:05 AM, action1kid said:

In answer to your question, "Is the San Diego con losing its appeal to the vintage collector?", are you referring to collectors as vintage, or that collectors are looking for vintage material?  :baiting:

Many cons and many hobbies have changed because of the internet.  I attended a militaria convention back in February 2023 in Kentucky.  It is called the Show of Shows and boasts over 1900 dealer's tables.  To say I was overwhelmed is an understatement.  Too much to see in too few days.

A few months later, I attended a small, local militaria show.  I overheard a couple of guys complaining how the Show of Shows sucked and it has changed for the worse over the last few years.  (shrug)

For those of you not attending SDCC, I guess we will see you at Torpedo Con, right?  :idea:

Edited by Bumble Kitty

On 7/12/2023 at 3:05 PM, MrBedrock said:

Sort of like, in the age of automobiles, they are the best manufacturer of buggy whips? :p

On 7/12/2023 at 4:36 PM, Bumble Kitty said:

overheard a couple of guys complaining how the Show of Shows sucked and it has changed for the worse over the last few years.  (shrug)

Collectors love wearing their rose colored glasses. 

On 7/12/2023 at 4:17 PM, adamstrange said:

Sort of like, in the age of automobiles, they are the best manufacturer of buggy whips? :p

If we are talking "age of automobiles" then they are still the largest party bus.

as a early attendee, it has NOT...but it is different. This year less studios due to the writer's strike and should be more comic con.....there is always good material at SDCC....some do not want to incur the expense, I can understand that...it still is the best comic book con panel wise bar none. For example the outstanding "EC fan addict club 10 anniversary". on July 22 at 8 PM...look at that line up....a who's who of EC publishers etc....worth the price of admission alone....

Edited by Mmehdy

On 7/12/2023 at 1:36 PM, Bumble Kitty said:

In answer to your question, "Is the San Diego con losing its appeal to the vintage collector?", are you referring to collectors as vintage, or that collectors are looking for vintage material?  :baiting:

Many cons and many hobbies have changed because of the internet.  I attended a militaria convention back in February 2023 in Kentucky.  It is called the Show of Shows and boasts over 1900 dealer's tables.  To say I was overwhelmed is an understatement.  Too much to see in too few days.

A few months later, I attended a small, local militaria show.  I overheard a couple of guys complaining how the Show of Shows sucked and it has changed for the worse over the last few years.  (shrug)

For those of you not attending SDCC, I guess we will see you at Torpedo Con, right?  :idea:

And consider the fact that attendees of Torpedo will have first crack at the wares of many of the SDCC dealers…hm