• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The San Diego Comic con losing its appeal to the vintage collector?
3 3

78 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2023 at 1:27 PM, MrBedrock said:

Charlotte and Baltimore are the best pure comic shows by far right now.

How was SD Con for you this year?

On 7/28/2023 at 12:32 PM, adamstrange said:

How was SD Con for you this year?

It was okay. We were busy, but it didn't have the same energy as in years past. For instance there was absolutely no activity during set up. I had no one looking through boxes or early shopping. Literally zero pre-show sales. That has never happened before.

On 7/28/2023 at 1:36 PM, MrBedrock said:

Literally zero pre-show sales. That has never happened before.

:whatthe:

On 7/28/2023 at 12:36 PM, MrBedrock said:

Literally zero pre-show sales. 

I haven't done a ton of shows in the last year or so, but the ones I have done I've gone during setup. In years past there was always a ton of competition for buying, but not recently. Like...none.

On 7/28/2023 at 2:13 PM, MrBedrock said:

I have gotten so tired of the magnifying glass, flashlight brigade going through slabs looking for potential upgrades, then trying to beat me up on my prices on the books they pull.

This conversation happened at the Santa Clara Shortboxed show...

Roy: You have a couple of books on your wall that I want to look at. Can I come back ( behind the table ) and look?

Me : Hi Roy. It is great to see you. I am having a great show. I hope you are doing well.

Roy: (confused) Can I come back there?

Me: We are good, Roy. I hope you have a great show.

Roy: (incredulous) I can't buy books from you?

Me: We are good Roy. It is great seeing you. I hope you have a great show.

I guess that is why I had no pre-show sales in SD.

I don't know what I would do if I were in your shoes.  On one hand, they're good for business, and sales are sales.  But if they were beating me up on prices, that would be really bothersome.  I would imagine that it's mostly tact/personality that gets to you over time.   

On 7/28/2023 at 4:51 PM, MrBedrock said:

Why not save those books for customers that I appreciate and who would appreciate the books.

(thumbsu

On 7/28/2023 at 1:13 PM, MrBedrock said:

I have gotten so tired of the magnifying glass, flashlight brigade going through slabs looking for potential upgrades, then trying to beat me up on my prices on the books they pull.

Roy: You have a couple of books on your wall that I want to look at. Can I come back ( behind the table ) and look?

Me : Hi Roy. It is great to see you. I am having a great show. I hope you are doing well.

There are certain folks I just won’t sell to. I just don’t need their money bad enough. And, yeah, these books will sell themselves.

I ran into Roy coming into Torpedo. We had a brief non-comic conversation…(shrug). He always has to tell me things he doesn’t like about “Cali” and that he is here all the time. I have to remind him that I LIVE in LA and was born and raised here. I want to like the guy but…

On 7/28/2023 at 11:31 AM, october said:

I haven't done a ton of shows in the last year or so, but the ones I have done I've gone during setup. In years past there was always a ton of competition for buying, but not recently. Like...none.

I think we’re are seeing more push than ever on prices. Buyers are very choosy and dealers have to buy the right books. No one is wholesaling a nice collection these days.

On 7/28/2023 at 10:36 AM, MrBedrock said:

It was okay. We were busy, but it didn't have the same energy as in years past. For instance there was absolutely no activity during set up. I had no one looking through boxes or early shopping. Literally zero pre-show sales. That has never happened before.

By the time the show officially opened on Wednesday at 6 PM, I already had spent $11,000.  I wish I had spent a portion of that at your booth, as I was eyeing two books that you have.

That money was spent earlier in the day on a new home HVAC system.  As one other dealer commented, I made an adult purchase.  That is very true, but I still wished I had bought two of your books.  :wavingwhiteflag:

On 7/28/2023 at 4:13 PM, MrBedrock said:

If it makes you feel better, I didn’t have any pre-show sales either at SDCC. 

Edited by joeypost