• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Registry Collecting Ruined?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Just a quick rant about whatever happened to the registry.. A collector with 1 gem mint (previously 9.5) base set Charizard (not even first edition) now has more points than my 50+ Charizards in a 8.5 😵‍💫  My 80+ icard Charizard Master Set ranking went from #3 to #23 overnight lol. Basically having a couple pristine 10s is now better than 80 8.5s. Registry system seems kind of pointless now for people that were actually trying to complete sets. I won't complain without proposing a solution.. Maybe not allowing a set to be initiated or granted points until a threshold % of the set is completed, or capping points on cards (only within the set). Happy collecting, rant complete! 

@CGC Lyndsey

I agree. The way registry points are awarded is not quite right either.  

For example, 

CGC Gem 10 Ho-Oh Unseen Forces Reverse Rare 3969pts

CGC Pristine 10 Pinsir Dragon Frontiers Reverse Rare 9063pts

CGC Gem 10 Tentacool Legend Maker Reverse Common 9885pts

Based on both set rarity and condition rarity, the pinsir should be #1, #2 the ho-oh, and #3 the tentacool. Debatably, the ho-oh could be considered #1, since it's a more popular pokemon than pinsir, if popularity factors into it.

It doesn't need to be highly accurate, but it should at least make sense. 

Screenshot_2023-07-13-02-34-57-02_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-07-13-02-34-36-23_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I've noticed this same disparities even just within the base set unlimited set.

Among the Holos points varied based on the value of each one, Charizard being the highest, then Blastoise, Venusaur etc.

Then the rest of the set (commons, uncommons, etc) were scored the same.

CGC 9 Charizard was approx 1500pts.

CGC Pristine 10 Prof Oak was 370 pts. (1/4th the pts or so of Charizard)

CGC 9.5 Common was 216 pts. (1/7th the pts or so of Charizard)

Now my CGC 9 Charizard is worth 15k pts. 10x of previous score.

CGC Pristine 10 Oak is worth 26k pts. 70x of previous score

CGC 10 (was the 9.5) Common is now worth 9.8k pts. 45x previous score.

I don't really get it 😅

My CGC 10 (was 9.5) Holo Magneton is also worth more than my Charizard (22k points).

Feels like because they put in the new Mint+ 9.5 in the acoring scale its all jacked up.

I understand giving Pristine 10s a big boost because they are now the new maximum grade, but 9s which used to be for many vintage cards the 2nd highest grade that actually exists (right behind 9.5 and no Pristines exsisted) have now really been hurt. 

@CGC Lyndsey I suggest possibly the jump between Gem Mint 10 and 9 needs to be gapped here Mint+ 9.5 can't be too large of an increase from 9.

• Administrator
On 7/13/2023 at 9:57 AM, SnorlaxCollective said:

@CGC Lyndsey I suggest possibly the jump between Gem Mint 10 and 9 needs to be gapped here Mint+ 9.5 can't be too large of an increase from 9.

Thank you for the feedback! I will pass this along too. :) 

Yeah I'm having a hard time understanding the new grading system. For instance, I've got a base set charizard graded at a 4 (I'm broke, sue me) and it's worth a whopping 2,181 points. I also have an amazing rare vivid voltage celebi graded gem mt 10 worth... 18,209 points. Now I realize obviously that a 10 is a big deal and a 4 is pretty weak, but Charizard is one of the holy grails of trading cards and amazing rare vivid voltage Celebi is like, a step above bulk.

It really feels like the grade of a card weighs incredibly heavily in comparison to the card itself, which strikes me as rather backwards.

• Administrator
On 7/17/2023 at 8:02 AM, Sean31 said:

Yeah I'm having a hard time understanding the new grading system. For instance, I've got a base set charizard graded at a 4 (I'm broke, sue me) and it's worth a whopping 2,181 points. I also have an amazing rare vivid voltage celebi graded gem mt 10 worth... 18,209 points. Now I realize obviously that a 10 is a big deal and a 4 is pretty weak, but Charizard is one of the holy grails of trading cards and amazing rare vivid voltage Celebi is like, a step above bulk.

It really feels like the grade of a card weighs incredibly heavily in comparison to the card itself, which strikes me as rather backwards.

Thanks for the feedback! I will pass this along. :)