• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstands and Direct Editions (finally) get a video explainer... Version 1.2
8 8

179 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2023 at 11:58 PM, valiantman said:
On 7/29/2023 at 12:28 PM, Microchip said:

But looking forward, there is a ton of newsstand books out there, that will need to be resubmitted to gain the slab notation, and :wishluck: inclusion in your database.

For the numbers coming from the CGC Census, we know that books were not identified correctly all the time... but for numbers coming from @gpanalysis identification of newsstand and CPV, we're not relying on CGC's labels.

Thats a very good point.   For the current discussion, the data sets, of sales volumes, and realised prices are constantly massing on GPA.

From a personal standpoint, I can't wait to see numbers on your database moving forward.   

While the data isn't available just yet, what would be a likely start date for books arriving at CGC, and receiving the Newsstand notation as an automatic function of the grading process at Sarasota?

On 7/30/2023 at 8:08 PM, mr_highgrade said:

That's a direct edition. :gossip: CGC mislabeled it.

Agreed and not only they, but MCS also most certainly knows better!  (tsk)  CGC 's new policy is not to fix THEIR mistakes, but I've faith MCS once they are made aware will correct their listing.

thusly paging; @mycomicshop 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134670407703
image.thumb.png.336251ecdc0ad98c0a2b870ca0a44fed.png

It seems the notion for direct edition, and newsstand issues extends past Marvel, and DC at CGC.  

Does the idea of having other publishers, and their titles split out this way make sense, or would it be a case by case basis??

The obvious one for newsstand distinction that springs to mind is Spawn.

Other publishers, and titles (shrug)

From a registry perspective, Terminator NOW below, having to suddenly be faced with collecting a set twice over isn't asked for, or wanted.  

image.png

That's very strange because the CGC Census does not have any graded copies of Terminator #12 Newsstand Edition.  The only way that slot would work for the CGC Registry is that they're checking the Pedigree information for the "Newsstand Edition" notation which isn't on the CGC Census (yet).

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/publisher/:Now:/title/:Terminator:/desc/no/label/all/orderby/year/variants/yes/census/230725/

Its getting worse out there. Some select examples.

CGC 9.8 Nova # 1 1976 Newsstand. First Appearance Of Nova (Richard Rider) White Pages
https://www.ebay.com/itm/295898827593?hash=item44e4f1cb49:g:ObsAAOSwO2hk5zuu

CGC 9.4 Amazing Spider-Man 178 Newsstand. Classic Green Goblin Versus Spider-Man
https://www.ebay.com/itm/295898976822?hash=item44e4f41236:g:iYAAAOSwXA9k5~SJ

At best it's lack of knowledge or ignorance but knowing Comic Dealers it's intentionally misleading and wreaks of zero Moral's and Ethic's. Which is why I feel the folks need to be aware of June 1979 cover date being the first month every Marvel regular size Comic Book had both a Newsstand and a Direct Sale is important.  If they do then they won't pay more for Nova 1's or ASM 178's.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/24/2023 at 7:52 PM, MAR1979 said:

Which is why I feel the folks need to be aware of June 1979 being the first month every Marvel regular size Comic Book had both a Newsstand and a Direct Sale is important.

I was oblivious of this until now, thanks for pointing that out. I still haven't paid more for newsstands unless they're from the late 80s and on. 

On 8/25/2023 at 1:11 PM, Flanders82 said:

I was oblivious of this until now, thanks for pointing that out. I still haven't paid more for newsstands unless they're from the late 80s and on. 

I'm in the same boat.   I'm exclusively CPV's early 80's, 1982 to 87, then from 1988 onwards for regular issues.

On 8/24/2023 at 11:11 PM, Flanders82 said:

On 8/25/2023 at 2:10 AM, Microchip said:

I'm in the same boat.   I'm exclusively CPV's early 80's, 1982 to 87, then from 1988 onwards for regular issues.

If you've read through this thread you will see that Valiantman and I are in total,, but respectful, disagreement. Over the importance of mentioning the Date (cover date; June 1979 for Marvel, Oct 1980 for DC).  Both your posts help prove knowing the first cover date month for which every regular book in the Big 2's company lines had both a direct sale and newsstand is important.

June 1979 is important, but it isn't helpful for Amazing Spider-Man (the biggest Marvel title).  There are direct (non-returnable) editions of Amazing Spider-Man as early as #165 (February 1977).

Teaching people that Marvel starts direct editions June 1979 would be helpful, but the most important Marvel title goes direct as early as February 1977... so that's like saying the rule is "I before E except for words people use most often".

On 8/25/2023 at 9:41 PM, MAR1979 said:

If you've read through this thread you will see that Valiantman and I are in total,, but respectful, disagreement. Over the importance of mentioning the Date (cover date; June 1979 for Marvel, Oct 1980 for DC).  Both your posts help prove knowing the first cover date month for which every regular book in the Big 2's company lines had both a direct sale and newsstand is important.

Oh there's no argument at all in what you're saying, I'm working purely on the scarcity of CPV's, and the declining ratio of newsstand to Direct editions from the late 80's onwards.   The early dates represent a stronger ratio of newsstand books to direct editions, or when direct editions were the scarcer edition of a book.

On 8/25/2023 at 5:00 PM, MAR1979 said:

IMHO Whitman distributed pre pack comics are a different thing entirely from june 1979 and later direct sale marvels. They should not be lumped together. 

Maybe someday, when people have learned to tell the difference between zeroes and ones, you can teach them how a quantum computer works.

Until then, let's stick to "returnable" and "non-returnable" as our definitions of newsstand and direct. Just two things... people can't handle these two things yet.

People are definitely not ready for "well-it-is-non-returnable-but-it-is-not-a-direct-but-it-is-definitely-not-a-newsstand-but-what-about-June-1979-but-not-DC-or-anyone-else-just-Marvel-but-not-Amazing-Spider-Man-those-are-different-but-June-1979-man-come-on-that-is-all-I-want-to-talk-about".

They are not ready.

Edited by valiantman

On 8/25/2023 at 9:23 PM, valiantman said:

Maybe someday, when people have learned to tell the difference between zeroes and ones, you can teach them how a quantum computer works.

Until then, let's stick to "returnable" and "non-returnable" as our definitions of newsstand and direct. Just two things... people can't handle these two things yet.

People are definitely not ready for "well-it-is-non-returnable-but-it-is-not-a-direct-but-it-is-definitely-not-a-newsstand-but-what-about-June-1979-but-not-DC-or-anyone-else-just-Marvel-but-not-Amazing-Spider-Man-those-are-different-but-June-1979-man-come-on-that-is-all-I-want-to-talk-about".

They are not ready.

Quantum computing is always 10 years away :)

Perhaps Carlin was correct?  “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/25/2023 at 9:30 AM, valiantman said:

June 1979 is important, but it isn't helpful for Amazing Spider-Man (the biggest Marvel title).  There are direct (non-returnable) editions of Amazing Spider-Man as early as #165 (February 1977).

Teaching people that Marvel starts direct editions June 1979 would be helpful, but the most important Marvel title goes direct as early as February 1977... so that's like saying the rule is "I before E except for words people use most often".

Correct. ASM 165 from February 1977 is the earliest ASM issue with a Direct Edition.  That's over 2 years earlier than the rest of the titles for June 1979.  Both dates are important when talking about the start of the Direct Market for Marvel.  It does make sense to me that Marvel or early comic dealers would want to test the Direct Market sales with Marvel's flagship title before doing so for all other titles. Not sure if there are any other Marvel titles with Direct Market editions earlier than that, but I have searched and have never found any Direct Market issues for ASM 164 or earlier.  Interestingly, Marvel had only just introduced the barcode on the cover less than a year earlier for ASM #157 in June 1976.  That is also right in the middle of Marvel conducting their 30 cent price variants in select test markets.  A whole lot going on with cover variations in such a short time frame.

On 8/24/2023 at 10:52 PM, MAR1979 said:

Its getting worse out there. Some select examples.

CGC 9.8 Nova # 1 1976 Newsstand. First Appearance Of Nova (Richard Rider) White Pages
https://www.ebay.com/itm/295898827593?hash=item44e4f1cb49:g:ObsAAOSwO2hk5zuu

CGC 9.4 Amazing Spider-Man 178 Newsstand. Classic Green Goblin Versus Spider-Man
https://www.ebay.com/itm/295898976822?hash=item44e4f41236:g:iYAAAOSwXA9k5~SJ

At best it's lack of knowledge or ignorance but knowing Comic Dealers it's intentionally misleading and wreaks of zero Moral's and Ethic's. Which is why I feel the folks need to be aware of June 1979 cover date being the first month every Marvel regular size Comic Book had both a Newsstand and a Direct Sale is important.  If they do then they won't pay more for Nova 1's or ASM 178's.

Both of those are accurate listings. They both are newsstand copies. It doesn't matter, of course, because they were ALL newsstand copies, but what can you do.