• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Berkeley Comic Show Saturday, August 5
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone--our traditional first week of August show is coming right up on the 5th.  The room is positively packed with comic books, the vast majority of which are vintage. The regular vendors are constantly buying and processing, so it's very fresh every time.

Happy to have Bud Plant setting up for the first time since January. He'll have very interesting material. Also setting up for his first show in about 20 years (!!) is collecting legend Gary Carter, responsible for Comic Book Marketplace, The Overstreet Grading Guide, etc. He'll have comics, fanzines, pulps, etc. Heritage Auctions will also be returning to the show.

Saturday, August 5, 11 am to noon early admission, $15. Regular admission 12-5, $10. Same great location near the highway. Big free parking lot.

www.berkeleycomicshow.com

If you can't make this one, we return on Saturday, Oct. 28 so mark your calendars for that one!

Vendor list:

Steve Wyatt/Robert Humes

Bud Plant
Heroes
Champion
Cape and Cowl
Lee’s Comics
Bronze Age Batcave
Heritage Auctions
Gary Carter
JCT Comics
SactoSanctorum
Worlds of Wonder
Batcave Comics and Toys
Brett’s Comics
Comic Web
DevCo Comics
House of Comics
Mike’s Comics
Angry IrishMan Art & Comics
Dragstrip Comics/Go DaddyO
Carnage Comics
Santa Rosa Comics
Ted Jacka
Bill McGregor

Great little show!  Some legendary OGs were there.  Picked up a few cool comics, bought a stack of books from Bud Plant, and got some CBMs I needed from Gary Carter. Saw some surprising books and some real nice Baker and Frazetta.  A cool show. Kudos to the organizer! It's like traveling back in time.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/5/2023 at 7:57 PM, BitterOldMan said:

Wonderful show as usual!

Beautiful tribute to the late Ray Storch.

IMG_2513.thumb.jpeg.45068f38062ad285ed2f2530d2b27cca.jpeg

Oh, no Ray passed away? Hadn’t heard. That is very sad. I knew Ray for many years. Always an adventure picking his boxes and talking comics. I remember buying a pile of press proof covers when he turned them up. A great guy. 

On 8/7/2023 at 1:26 PM, Robot Man said:

Oh, no Ray passed away? Hadn’t heard. That is very sad. I knew Ray for many years. Always an adventure picking his boxes and talking comics. I remember buying a pile of press proof covers when he turned them up. A great guy. 

I had not heard myself until the just the other day. I was really saddened to hear, he was such a great guy. I always enjoyed chatting with him at the shows and looked forward to seeing what kind of esoteric goodness I could find buried in his boxes to bring home with me. He always had some book that seemed to call to me :)

I found so many cool books in his boxes and he had a story for each one (if it wasn't about the book it was about the story or artist inside). @Robot Man I think I have a few of the Atlas war and western proofs you are referring to. I was not collecting when he was selling them originally but I acquired a few here on the boards later (either from you or @catrick339 if I had to guess). My first copy of Atlas War #11 was from one of his boxes amongst many other 1950s Atlas war and GGA titles. 

Always sucks when one of the good ones leaves us.

On 8/7/2023 at 10:25 PM, 707comics said:

I had not heard myself until the just the other day. I was really saddened to hear, he was such a great guy. I always enjoyed chatting with him at the shows and looked forward to seeing what kind of esoteric goodness I could find buried in his boxes to bring home with me. He always had some book that seemed to call to me :)

I found so many cool books in his boxes and he had a story for each one (if it wasn't about the book it was about the story or artist inside). @Robot Man I think I have a few of the Atlas war and western proofs you are referring to. I was not collecting when he was selling them originally but I acquired a few here on the boards later (either from you or @catrick339 if I had to guess). My first copy of Atlas War #11 was from one of his boxes amongst many other 1950s Atlas war and GGA titles. 

Always sucks when one of the good ones leaves us.

I first met him at a Berkeley con in the ‘70’s and seeked him out at WonderCon. We both had very eclectic tastes and his boxes were packed with interesting stuff priced very fair. We hit it off right away. He always had a big smile and usually something for me stashed under the table. Yeah, a lot of the pioneers in the hobby are leaving us. Real sad. 

I first learned of Ray through his CBG selling ads. So when I moved to Berkeley I realized he was just over the Oakland border. We exchanged one letter in summer, 1988 when I sent him a list of some stuff I had for sale. Pretty good stuff for an underclassman, but he already had his copy of Yellow Claw 1, etc. and he was never interested in super-heroes, besides a passing interest in Spider-Man. He would have some 1950s Action Comics because he liked the backup stories, but no Superman, for instance.